8 Posts

BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: 1st or Remastered ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reini Schmidt
msg tools
Hi there,

perhaps there exists already a thread about that, but I didn´t find one.

Wanna get "War of Indines" but I am not quite sure which edition. Sometimes 1st editions are the best, sometimes the revised editions are better. Any Pros or Cons for these two editions here? Which one should I try to get?

Wait for some feedback.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the first edition, since I don't own it.

But.

Several points to make here.
- First edition might be hard to get by now.
- First edition received some balance adjustments in the old Devastation Extended edition (not available for purchase anymore, AFAIK)
. First edition had inconsistent artwork
- First edition had overall lower quality components

So... I guess if I were you, I'd go with the second edition from that only. Second edition has (I think) some more balance tweaks, and completeley revamped artwork and components.

Also, BattleCON is one of the best games ever, so I'm sure you'll have fun with either version.

Edit: Also, this or next month, there should be a Kickstarter for "BattleCON: Trials of Indines", a 10-fighter starter box, in case you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and the revised version is better in almost every way. Bigger and better quality tokens, character reference cards, double-sided finisher cards, larger board...

There are only a few things where the original might be better.

The life spinners in War Revised (at least in the Kickstarter batch, not sure if this is still an issue) were very loose when you put them together. Not a huge deal if you have spinners from fate or devastation, because those snapped together quite well. The original life counters were small arrow tokens that you put next to numbers on the board. They're functional, but not luxurious like the spinners.

The art is a matter of preference. The revised version is from the same artist that did Devastation and Fates, so it has a more cohesive look. The characters in the original were from seven different artists. I really liked Victoria Parker's art, and Katrina Lin's as well, but I certainly like Nokomento's style quite a bit in the revised set as well.

The other thing is portability. Original War is super compact. Everything comes in a small box, roughly 8 in long x 4 in wide x 3.5 in tall. It fits just about anywhere!

Overall, I'd say go for the revised edition. If you need the old art, get the art book. If you need portability, get one of those small white card boxes. You could even draw a board on the top of it if you want to save even more space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with benstylus. The remastered version is better in every way. 1st edition is still great, so if you can get it for cheaper or you care a lot about the box size being smaller, it's not a bad choice. (Although you'll want to at minimum play with the revised Burst card that lets you choose to move 2 spaces.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
I don't wanna make another thread for just this question, I got remastered edition, and those 2 dials, one fit nicely but the other one is so much fiddly, it has 'lot' of free space and moves way to easily. IS there some fix to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
I don't wanna make another thread for just this question, I got remastered edition, and those 2 dials, one fit nicely but the other one is so much fiddly, it has 'lot' of free space and moves way to easily. IS there some fix to it?

quite a bit of discussion in in this dedicated thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the second edition has "Remastered" in its name, otherwise it is a first edition?

If I buy first edition will it be seriously incompatible with new stuff
graphically or otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
So the second edition has "Remastered" in its name, otherwise it is a first edition?

If I buy first edition will it be seriously incompatible with new stuff
graphically or otherwise?

Yeah, the art direction changed completely for the better after 1st ed (1 artist rather than several; Nokomento's art is one of the factors that draws me to this game).

While original editions are sometimes nicer, in this particular case Remastered is the way to go, no contest.

(owner of both editions, I intended to keep from 1st ed the characters whose mechanics changed, for entertainment value, but I couldn't be bothered in the end. I only ended up keeping the finishers for the alt art and a couple of the the nicest standees in the main set, everything else went to the retirement box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.