Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Descendants of Draco, Ancients, other players, combat and discovery tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arian Jafari
Sweden
flag msg tools
We were playing with Descendants of Draco for the first time last night, and two questions came up that couldn't be answered by Google at the table.

I am playing as Draco. If another player moves a ship into a hex which (1) is under my control, (2) contains one of my ships, and (3) contains an Ancient ship, in which order will combat happen? The rules state that combat happens first between the two civs that last entered the hex, which in this case would be me (Draco) and the other player. However, the rules also state that the player who has an influence disk in the hex is always considered to have been there first. Our interpretation of this was that my opponent fought the Ancients first, and then fought me if they managed to beat the ancients. I'm assuming we ruled this correctly, right?

So far so good, but this next one was trickier for us. What happens with the discovery tile under the Ancients if my opponent manages to defeat them but is defeated by me (Draco)? Post combat there will be a discovery tile on my hex, where I have both an influence disk and ships. The rules state that Draco can't take discovery tiles from hexagons containing Ancients, but there are no longer any Ancients there. And if I can take it, do I have to take any actions to get it? Are there any other requirements? Our ruling was that Draco could collect the discovery tile immediately if they managed to beat the invader. Was this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules on hand, but I'm pretty sure your opponent fights you first, and then the ancients. Part of your role (and your end-game VP) relies on protecting the Ancient ships.

With this order, there are none of the rule ambiguities you mention regarding the Discovery tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xanindorf wrote:
We were playing with Descendants of Draco for the first time last night, and two questions came up that couldn't be answered by Google at the table.

I am playing as Draco. If another player moves a ship into a hex which (1) is under my control, (2) contains one of my ships, and (3) contains an Ancient ship, in which order will combat happen? The rules state that combat happens first between the two civs that last entered the hex, which in this case would be me (Draco) and the other player. However, the rules also state that the player who has an influence disk in the hex is always considered to have been there first. Our interpretation of this was that my opponent fought the Ancients first, and then fought me if they managed to beat the ancients. I'm assuming we ruled this correctly, right?

So far so good, but this next one was trickier for us. What happens with the discovery tile under the Ancients if my opponent manages to defeat them but is defeated by me (Draco)? Post combat there will be a discovery tile on my hex, where I have both an influence disk and ships. The rules state that Draco can't take discovery tiles from hexagons containing Ancients, but there are no longer any Ancients there. And if I can take it, do I have to take any actions to get it? Are there any other requirements? Our ruling was that Draco could collect the discovery tile immediately if they managed to beat the invader. Was this correct?

Page 18 wrote:
If a hex contains more than two parties, battles are first resolved among the players' Ships with the sole surviving player then engaging the Ancients or the GCDS in battle.

This is the first and general rule. It would need to be explicitly changed to have one of the players fight after the Ancients.

Page 18 wrote:

If the hex contains more than two players' Ships, battles between players are resolved two players at a time, in reverse order of entry into the hex.

Therefore, the two players who last entered the hex will battle each other first and the surviving player will then battle the player who entered before the two. The survivor of that battle will fight the next player in reverse order of entry and so forth. The last surviving player will battle the Ancients, if any. (...)

If the hex already has an Influence Disc and is thus controlled by a player, that player is always considered the defender and will fight last regardless of the entry order, even if his Ships actually moved there last

Move Order is only relevant between "players" and the "Disc" Rule only modifies the Entry Order Rule. Hence you first battle between players and the survivor battles the Ancient(s).

There are still ways how you can end up with a destroyed ancient and retaining control. For instance the attacker could have no cannons on his ships (Missiles only) or not have Neutron Bombs or you have a Neutron Absorber and he does not kill off all population cubes.

Hence:
FAQ Page in Rulebook wrote:
Q: If the Ancient Ships are destroyed from a Descendants controlled hex but the Descendants still control the hex, can they take the Discovery Tile? A: The Discovery Tiles can only be taken when placing an Influence Disc. So you'll first have to remove the disc with the Influence action and then place it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arian Jafari
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thank you for your replies! I missed that first quoted part of page 18 entirely. It seems like we got both our questions wrong. Luckily I don't think it impacted the final placing in this particular game, but it's good to know this in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.