Subject: Are Mandatory Quests considered only Intrigue cards when in hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dougie Star
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
If an intrigue card lets you discard a mandatory quest card, can you discard one from your hand? Or, is it not considered a mandatory quest until it is played? The rules state. "Some Intrigue cards are Mandatory Quests. which you play on opponents to hinder their plans."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I would say they first become a quest when played, but given your quote I guess it could be ruled the opposite way.

Though why would you ever want to do it? Is there some effect where you benifit from having no Intrigue cards? Or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dougie Star
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Randor20 wrote:
I would say they first become a quest when played, but given your quote I guess it could be ruled the opposite way.

Though why would you ever want to do it? Is there some effect where you benifit from having no Intrigue cards? Or something else?

It was simply the last round of a game I played. I didn't have an opportunity to play my mandatory quest on someone, but I did have the opportunity to discard a mandatory quest to gain 3 points. I thought I was cleaver for discarding it from my hand, but the other players protested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
your enraged opponents were right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The card is meant to allow a player to discard a Mandatory Quest inflicted by other players

That intrigue card allows players to discard an "uncompleted Quest to score" points (including Mandatory Quests). But in your hand a Mandatory Quest is NOT a Quest since you can't ever complete it. In your hand it is an "Intrigue Card". Play it on other player and now it is that player's Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dougie Star
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Espinoza wrote:
The card is meant to allow a player to discard a Mandatory Quest inflicted by other players

That intrigue card allows players to discard an "uncompleted Quest to score" points (including Mandatory Quests). But in your hand a Mandatory Quest is NOT a Quest since you can't ever complete it. In your hand it is an "Intrigue Card". Play it on other player and now it is that player's Quest.

You're no fun at all. I was actually hoping to find something more official. All of the distinctions you made aren't in the rules. And that's what I thought makes sense. But, if you can find a loophole that can't be proven incorrect by the actual text of the rules. It sure is fun to exploit it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlestarge wrote:
... if you can find a loophole that can't be proven incorrect by the actual text of the rules. It sure is fun to exploit it

Man, you and I clearly have very different play styles. I don't think we'd enjoy playing together at all.

Please believe that I do understand what you mean, and how some people can find pleasure in that approach, but for me, I'd rather people stuck to the clear spirit of the rules than try to find loopholes all the damn time.

More playing, less arguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW:

My gaming group found mandatory quests to be objectionable.

So when we play, we exclude all of them and any other cards/buildings that refer to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
beanieboy007 wrote:
FWIW:

My gaming group found mandatory quests to be objectionable.

So when we play, we exclude all of them and any other cards/buildings that refer to them.

That's too bad because the group I play with absolutely relishes them. Great way to slow down a run away leader or stop someone in the last round when they are trying to get that last cube to complete a 40 point quest for the winshake

We just played a great 3-player game last night with both expansions and all of us agreed that every time we get this out, we remember what a fun game it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlestarge wrote:

You're no fun at all. I was actually hoping to find something more official. All of the distinctions you made aren't in the rules. And that's what I thought makes sense. But, if you can find a loophole that can't be proven incorrect by the actual text of the rules. It sure is fun to exploit it

I have to agree with Andy. I would not want to play with someone trying to find loopholes as that's just taking advantage and almost cheating in my opinion. If you're honestly confused, that's one thing. But there's lots of things not specifically addressed in the rules (that don't need to be) and you could take advantage of a lot of things with that excuse. I hope your gaming buddies are keeping an eye on you.

I'm only just learning this game and this seems logical even to me. If it's in your hand, you have an Intrigue card and it's not meant to be your quest. I can't think of a way to decide that it's otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.