22 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Is it always this simple? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mr mr
msg tools
Hello,
The three of us had our first game over the last few days. It was great. But it all seemed very easy.

We hand picked daryll, Mandy, Caroline and yig and sealed the gate with two doom tracks to spare. Pretty sure we followed the rules.

Anyway from my observations, is this typical:

1. Monster surges were no big deal, at any time,like say pandemic

2. We only had to increase the terror track one time in the whole game, ie we only ever got enough overflow monsters once.

3. Half the time gates opened where we'd sealed or a gate was already there so the doom track gave us lots more turns than the ten or so I'd have expected.

4. With a few weapons, we seemed to all have +4 or +6 extra at least every monster fight, all monsters were easily killed with no problem, especially with the re roll option from investigator. Failing that we just used up clue tokens to add more dice.

5. Spells are pretty much useless

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
Hello,
The three of us had our first game over the last few days. It was great. But it all seemed very easy.

We hand picked daryll, Mandy, Caroline and yig and sealed the gate with two doom tracks to spare. Pretty sure we followed the rules.

2. We only had to increase the terror track one time in the whole game, ie we only ever got enough overflow monsters once.

3. Half the time gates opened where we'd sealed or a gate was already there so the doom track gave us lots more turns than the ten or so I'd have expected.

4. With a few weapons, we seemed to all have +4 or +6 extra at least every monster fight, all monsters were easily killed with no problem, especially with the re roll option from investigator.

Thanks.

Best thing is to watch some of the playthrough videos to see if you missed any rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacky Blue
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to answer "sometimes this is the case" or "often this is the case" to all of your questions. One game of Arkham will be suprisingly easy, whilst the next will be impossible. Sometimes a spell will win the game, and the right combinations of monsters will destroy it. The hideous things beyond the walls of human sense do not care for consistency, nor do they even notice our sport, for it all will soon end as if we had never begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is really easy and the game feels like a walk in the park, especially if you only have the base game and you get to seal the more frequent gates early.

Sometimes you get burned really badly in the first few turns via a really bad rumor.

One of the reasons I really love Arkham is the unpredictability of the game, easy start doesn't mean a easy run and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game, with just the original board, is not that hard to start with.

Picking your Investigators makes things easier yet.

Yig is one of the weakest Ancient Ones.

You won't be able to outfit all your Investigators with decent weapons every game.

A few "bumps" (Gates not opening due to seals) can make all the difference.

A Monster Surge that produces two Cultists and a Mi-go is a different experience than one that produces two Star Spawn and a Dhole.

So no, it's not always that easy. But it's fortunate you were able to play your first game without a crippling Rumor or monster clogged streets.

Oh, and the Terror Level? It will hardly move most games. But once in awhile, it will be a major factor due to nasty monsters you can't get rid of... and then the shops start closing, making it harder yet to get rid of the beasties.

The main thing is that games of Arkham tend to be very different, one from another. I can remember games played years ago because they had a unique feel to them, their own set of challenges and happenstances.

Every game won't be easy, but fortunately, getting crushed by the game is almost as much fun as winning.

Welcome to the Madness! googoogoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
Cheers.

I just wish there was more of a choice of location cards. The base set seems a bit stingy.

I don't want to buy an expansion as I haven't got the table space and I've been thinking of getting Eldrich Horror instead of an expansion as it's the same price (though in this game it seems a bit stingy only giving you 4 bosses when AH you get about 20 )

btw, because we were new and following my condensed notes on the game and cross-checking everything, this first game took about 7 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
I don't want to buy an expansion as I haven't got the table space and I've been thinking of getting Eldrich Horror instead of an expansion as it's the same price (though in this game it seems a bit stingy only giving you 4 bosses when AH you get about 20 )

For what its worth, the small box expansions will give more location cards without boards, but I also tend to end up not using the boards from the big expansions and just mixing in the new cards that pertain to the base game location. (plus new mechanisms like injury/madness, etc). The nice thing about the expansions is you can pull in the parts you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and enjoy both games with small and large box expansions for each. I will tell you right off that after 2 plays of Eldritch you will want to buy the Forsaken Lore expansion to get some variety in the location decks. You can definitely see that EH was designed from the ground up to need expansions. For the most part the cards in FL really should have been in the base game. I honestly don't remember Arkham feeling this way, but then, when I started playing it the concept of board game expansions was foreign to me. I will say that I do not play with just the base game anymore (although often just the base board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
Hello,

4. With a few weapons, we seemed to all have +4 or +6 extra at least every monster fight, all monsters were easily killed with no problem, especially with the re roll option from investigator. Failing that we just used up clue tokens to add more dice.

Thanks.

Some ways you can increase difficulty:

1. Randomly pick your AO and investigators instead of hand-picking them. Yig is probably one of the easiest AO's, if not the easiest, maybe tied with Ithaqua.

2. Get the Dunwich expansion, and possibly one or two smaller expansions. The King in Yellow is a good one to start with (Gate Bursts arrive with the expansions, and they add a significant bit of difficulty to the game).

Don't worry about needing to add in every component from every expansion - they are intended to be modular, and you can add in the parts you like, without necessarily even playing with the sideboard. The added Location, Mythos and Gate cards certainly add quite a bit of variety as well

The other things you mention - Terror Track, Weapons, Sealed gates blocking openings, will vary greatly from gate to game. Some games terror spins wildly, while others it does nothing. Sometimes weapons are falling from the skies, and in others you couldn't buy a weapon if you had a million dollars. Sometimes every gate block goes your way, some games, gates are opening like multiplying tribbles.

As to spells, they CAN be very useful, but they require a bit more forethought. We used to forget tomes and spells quite a bit, but now we look at them carefully every time they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
Hello,

Thanks.

play 4 more games with randomly generated heroes against anyone (?) but Yig and get back to us .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:

I don't remember where the Arkham win statistics sheet is, but I seem to recall that Mandy and Caroline are the second and third highest rated investigators, with the best one (Patrice) coming from an expansion you don't have. Combine the best investigators with one of the weakest ancients ones and I would expect an easy game.

You didn't say which locations you sealed, but the woods has the highest frequency of gate openings followed by the black cave. If you sealed either or both of those early in the game, it would also give you a lot of breathing space.

That said and as others have pointed out, Arkham can be a very swingy game. At lot depends on which mythos cards come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
Yes, we sealed the woods and black cave almost immediately with two elder sign cards that we got almost immediately too. We also shut down unvisited isle and unnamable pretty soon and these all seemed to spawn gates or monsters more, thus stopping much from opening - in fact a lot of our moves we didn't know what to do because not much was happening

I only picked Yig because reading a forum thread here somebody said choose Yig for your first game as it will make it quicker as he's only got 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
Yes, we sealed the woods and black cave almost immediately with two elder sign cards that we got almost immediately too.

This can also be a big deal. With just the base game, its somewhat easy to get elder signs. The unique deck isn't very big so if you've money coming from somwhere you can fish them out. When you start adding expansions in, its elder signs are harder to come buy. You have to have save clues for sealing gates and when you said that you were just spending clues to cover failure I was thinking that you can't be spending clues and sealing gates with them, but if you found signs that explains a lot. The thing is, if you play with some different investigators and different ancient ones you should notice the difficult go up. However, it is possible to get an algorithm for the base game where it is nearly always winnable, which is one reason why you will see expansions push a lot here in the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:

I don't remember where the Arkham win statistics sheet is,

It's here...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v_y5tJMBalbjUg5i2kbm...

And you can submit your games here...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVM5sXPH6mGTuU_r1E...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting two Elder Signs early in the game is huge.

That is 10 Clue tokens worth of Gate sealing right there. That you don't need to go around the board collecting first. Keep in mind that it would require 10 rounds for that amount of Clue tokens to be spawned by regular Mythos cards.

And you sealed two of the most frequently hit unstable Locations on top of it, so you really made the most of it.

In my experience it is very hard to win against Yig by sealing Gates, since his Doom track is so short. It typically always ends in a final Battle, which is quite winnable on the other hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing you can do is reclassify your winning conditions:

Loss: Ancient One devours players in final battle
Draw: Defeat Ancient One in final battle
Win: Seal 6 gates or close all gates with trophies = investigators

Try beating Yig using these conditions and see how you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
When we finished we decided to have a try and Yig anyway. Two got cursed straight away, then we slowly ran out of token for rerolls then health and stamina and died
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
Its funny, because we found our first game VERY easy too.

We won with the doom track on 6/11, found monster combat quite easy and monster surges not dangerous and won by closing all gates, with NO gate sealed at all.

But when I reviewd the stats I saw that we just got very lucky (everything random):

Ancient one:
Ithaqua 19% (least dangerous)

Investigators:
Mandy Thompson 78%
Joe Diamond 73%
Darrell Simmons 71% (so 3 out of the Top 5)
Harvey Walters 67%
Amanda Sharpe 65% (so noone from the bottom half)

On top of that, we might had some luck with the items (Joe got two Laterns! and Darrel the Marksman Skill on top with a magical and physical waepon.

Since turn 3 or so Joe, Darrel and Amanda would had at least 9+ combat dice, on Turn 4 Darrel hat a combat rating of 11. Darrle was hindered by beeing crused until turn 6 but from there on 4/5 investigators were blessed (3/5 from turn 8 on), and this really helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
Okay, just remebered that we did had harvey but sister mary (64%).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkScipio wrote:
...and won by closing all gates, with NO gate sealed at all.

Just out of curiosity, did you - at the end - still have 5 gate tokens among your investigators? I'm just wondering because you mention that 4 investigators got blessings and usually you have to pay for these with gate or monster tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:

Buy EH, then. I prefer the gameplay and would only recommend AH if there was a thematic expansion (eg. Dunwich, Innsmouth) EH didn't have, or if there was a GOO you *really* liked that AH didn't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
Dont allow players to suggest how others should play there characters. Nothing worse then to have one or two players take command during the upkeep phase and plan out the actions of all other players in order to min/max and powerplay the game...

Agree with the players to not overly engage in the actions of others, let each player decide ON THEIR OWN what their character will do.
The game becomes more difficult but hell of a lot more fun.

Let the game tell a story and listen to it, dont just roll dice to win and the game should become difficult enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.