4 Posts

Bomber» Forums » General

Subject: Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I have a friend who may be willing to play this PBEM using the Vassal module. It's great that there is a scan of the rules in the files section but when I print out a sample page the text is fairly blury. It is readable albeit a strain. Just wondering on the very off chance whether somebody has a better quality scan of the rules available?

Has anybody played the Vassal module and willing to comment on their experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game (because I like others of Craig's designs) but have never played it. I hope you get in a game and provide a Session Report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I now have an excellent scan of the rules thanks to a very kind BGGer! I emailed the Vassal mod creator (Evin Mulron) to check whether there were any updates since the mod was posted in 2006. Actually I think I've tried to contact him before and the email bounced on that occasion as well. I suspect based on a Google search that he is not currently active in Vassal development.

The Vassal mod has automation features which my experience has shown with another mod by a different developer can potentially fail with the risk of having to compromise the game or restart it. I'd happily take the risk except there is a Cyberboard gamebox (by Chris Perleberg) which also appears to have had a lot of effort put into it. So now I'm wondering which is the better option.

Does anybody happen to know if Evin is still about or can comment on their experience with either the Vassal or Cyberboard version please? Or indeed does Chris Perleberg subscribe to this game forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slow Ride
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
There's an angel standing in the sun...
mbmbmbmbmb
davidk64 wrote:
I now have an excellent scan of the rules thanks to a very kind BGGer! I emailed the Vassal mod creator (Evin Mulron) to check whether there were any updates since the mod was posted in 2006. Actually I think I've tried to contact him before and the email bounced on that occasion as well. I suspect based on a Google search that he is not currently active in Vassal development.

I have not been able to logon or upload any updates to any of my modules on the vassal site since 3.XX came out.

davidk64 wrote:
The Vassal mod has automation features which my experience has shown with another mod by a different developer can potentially fail with the risk of having to compromise the game or restart it. I'd happily take the risk except there is a Cyberboard gamebox (by Chris Perleberg) which also appears to have had a lot of effort put into it. So now I'm wondering which is the better option.

Any automation can be purposely defeated. But much more importantly, automation should be OPTIONAL.

If I recall correctly the only automation here was going to, and returning from, the battle hexes. But I also seem to remember it was touchy and needed to be done exactly as laid out in the built-in module-specific help.

But if you think there is a problem, just do it manually! (It is tough to "break" manual!). I don't see any reason why you would have to restart a game, if this automation "broke". It should just leave some counters wither in their original hex or one of the battle hexes at worst. But if you were paying attention to what was happening prior to, and during battle, it should be no real problem. But I'm going off of memories from a decade ago, or so.

I do recommend you use the version of Vassal any of my modules were created (or last updated) with. You should be able to check what version that is for each of my modules by checking the built-in module-specific help.

Using any of my modules with a newer Vassal version is always at your own risk (and too often a certain failure since Vassal grew out of Rodney's hands... so much so, I stopped updating my Vassal version here, so I wouldn't have to test and fix all of my modules... a number that has grown since being locked out of the vassal site).

Again, don't forget that ANY automation should be purely optional. You should always be able to play any Vassal module just like a real game by simply pushing counters around and/or flipping them. Without automation, you should still have the original game to play (although some automation *is* really nice to have, depending on the game).

davidk64 wrote:
Does anybody happen to know if Evin is still about

Yes, I do know if he's about. (although it's pure luck I stumbled on this post the following year).

But I think Gary J Krockover did a fantastic job on the map graphics! My scans just could not be cleaned up enough to even play the game! I cannot understate that the module would never have been released without his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.