Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow BGGers!

I have checked with my mobile phone company and the international data roaming of my plan is just TOO expensive.

I would like to know if it is possible to buy a pre-paid mobile data plan in Germany.

My main questions are:

Can I buy it using only my passport?
How much it would cost?
Which mobile company?

I would appreciate any help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can – most supermarkets have pre-paid SIM cards which you can just use right away. I haven't used them myself, but I'm pretty sure someone here can report their experience

Tech stores (Saturn, MediaMarkt) should also have pre-paid sims for Germany's biggest carriers. These would be good options:

- Vodafone CallYa Smartphone
- Telekom Mobilfunk MagentaMobil Start
- o2 Loop Smart M

If you don't need your actual phone to make phone calls, there are also data-only plans available, though I'm not sure if they're also pre-paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerko Vissering
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Download on the App Store
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked into this recently, for use in a Mifi (which cannot dial itself, so all configuration and top-ups must be handled via Internet instead of dialing specific numbers). I ended up with a PennyMobil Startpackage, which you can activate online on pennymobil.de. They operate on the biggest German network (Telekom, via Congstar). Top-ups could be done with creditcard or paypal using Prelude.de. I chose this one because it was the cheapest for our use (€2 for 500MB usage per day you use the SIM). Also important for us: the balance stays intact even if you don't use the SIM for a while.

The best overview of possibilities is listed here: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Germany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan
Netherlands
Sint-Oedenrode
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried two last week during my holiday in Germany: one from Lidl (budget supermarket) and one from Telekom. I bought the Lidl one (Vodafone network) in one of their supermarkets. You have to activate this card online or via Phone. The Telekom card I bought in one of their brand stores. For the latter a pasport was required to register. They also took care of the activation.
Since I only needed data I bought prepaid card for that purpose. Both cost 10 euro which you get back as prepaid balance. Due to the remote location I could only get a stable Telekom connection. I guess for Essen performance of both will be fine. The Lidl card however has better prices: 1GB/24h for 2 euro. (Telekom € 2,95 for 750 MB/24h)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you people! Very helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Saravia
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat here.
I'm going to Europe (Russia, Czech Republic and Germany) and I was wondering if there's a plan that would work on all these three countries to have access to internet on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.