4 Posts

Welcome to the Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Equipment and Rule Questions - First time Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Patrick
msg tools
Hey guys,

Recently picked up this game to play on long airplane trip with my family and love the game and the way it looks. I've read over the rules a few times, but here are some questions that will help me understand the game better, and play it properly!

1) Items as shields and armor (etc.) can be used against every single monster in the dungeon, or are they one time use?

2) If I die, I can use a potion to replenish my health to the base HP of the hero. But if I had a shield/armor item, are they no longer in play for rest of dungeon play after I am revived, or can I still use them?

3) A general question about passing: Let's say it's a 2-player game and there are still monster cards to be drawn. Player 1 puts a monster in the dungeon. Player 2 passes on his turn. Does this mean player 1 is now forced to enter the dungeon on next turn?

3.a) If there are no more monsters to draw from the deck, and there are still multiple active players, everyone passes their turn until it's the last active player who cannot pass?

For example for 4 player game:
Player 1 pass
Player 2 pass
Player 3 pass
Player 4 now has to go into the dungeon

What I'm trying to understand better when do you pass? There is no way to willingly enter the dungeon because you have to rely on other players passing and hope you are the last one that hasn't passed, correct?

Thanks for the help. This should definitely get me started in right direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdn98 wrote:
Hey guys,

Recently picked up this game to play on long airplane trip with my family and love the game and the way it looks. I've read over the rules a few times, but here are some questions that will help me understand the game better, and play it properly!

1) Items as shields and armor (etc.) can be used against every single monster in the dungeon, or are they one time use?

2) If I die, I can use a potion to replenish my health to the base HP of the hero. But if I had a shield/armor item, are they no longer in play for rest of dungeon play after I am revived, or can I still use them?

3) A general question about passing: Let's say it's a 2-player game and there are still monster cards to be drawn. Player 1 puts a monster in the dungeon. Player 2 passes on his turn. Does this mean player 1 is now forced to enter the dungeon on next turn?

3.a) If there are no more monsters to draw from the deck, and there are still multiple active players, everyone passes their turn until it's the last active player who cannot pass?

For example for 4 player game:
Player 1 pass
Player 2 pass
Player 3 pass
Player 4 now has to go into the dungeon

What I'm trying to understand better when do you pass? There is no way to willingly enter the dungeon because you have to rely on other players passing and hope you are the last one that hasn't passed, correct?

Thanks for the help. This should definitely get me started in right direction!

1. They can be used multiple times, against any monsters, untill you die (see 2.)

2. When you die and replenish, you lose shields and armor (items that increase HP). You keep weapons and other stuff however (items without HP.)

3. Yes. On your turn, you either draw a card or pass. If there are no more cards, you have to pass, for there is no other option.

When do you pass?

Now that's where the game is. You don't want to enter and die. You don't want your opponents to enter and live. Good luck choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shields and armour aren't really used against individual monsters. Instead, they add to your total hit point count - as long as the undefeated monsters in the dungeon don't exceed this hit point total, you win. If this hit point total is exceeded, you can use a potion to reset to your base hit points.

Of course, other items are different and may be used against multiple monsters, depending on the item (the dragon spear is exclusive, obviously, and the "vorpals" have special individual rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Shields and armour aren't really used against individual monsters. Instead, they add to your total hit point count - as long as the undefeated monsters in the dungeon don't exceed this hit point total, you win. If this hit point total is exceeded, you can use a potion to reset to your base hit points.

Of course, other items are different and may be used against multiple monsters, depending on the item (the dragon spear is exclusive, obviously, and the "vorpals" have special individual rules).

This, agreed.

Thematically, if you have a 5 HP shield and you are attacked by a 2 HP, a 1 HP and another 2 HP monster, the shield protected you from these 3 monsters before it is damaged beyond repair.

In the end, you just do the math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.