Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Halper
United States
Draper
UT
flag msg tools
designer
The Problem:

Many boardgames try to move around the problem of text dependency by having nearly the entire game based around iconography with one word statements, or none at all. This makes a lot of sense for most games and then only requires a simple rules translation. The problem I am encountering is what to do in the case of a text-dependent game, such as a word game (Think Apples to Apples).

Current Solution:

The current one we are going on is translating each word into a few major languages, such as English, German, French, Chinese, and Japanese, and putting these on the card in grayscale text below the primary word.

It is too expensive for us to print in each language and distribute that way currently.

How have you handled language dependency in your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickolaix wrote:
The current one we are going on is translating each word into a few major languages, such as English, German, French, Chinese, and Japanese, and putting these on the card in grayscale text below the primary word.

By "grayscale text", do you mean that each successive language is in lighter and lighter gray, e.g.:

English
German
French
Chinese
Japanese

?

If so, that seems probably undesirable/confusing/offputting for all but the top/main language...! ("Your language is less important than the higher darker ones!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I would replace Japanese with Spanish.

Secondly, I would stick to 1 language, that is (supposed to be) spoken all over the globe.

Thirdly, put in a voucher for a free on-line language course. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
Secondly, I would stick to 1 language, that is (supposed to be) spoken all over the globe.

Mi aprobas tiun proponon. Esperanto estu la sola lingvo sur la kartoj.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Halper
United States
Draper
UT
flag msg tools
designer
russ wrote:
Nickolaix wrote:

By "grayscale text", do you mean that each successive language is in lighter and lighter gray, e.g.:

English
German
French
Chinese
Japanese

?

If so, that seems probably undesirable/confusing/offputting for all but the top/main language...! ("Your language is less important than the higher darker ones!")

Not successively lighter, but just lighter. Something like this:

English
German
French
Chinese
Japanese
Esperanto

And yes, Esperanto is actually on there because the way the text is organized, we needed a sixth language, but looking at your profile, it looks like it is your primary language!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickolaix wrote:
Not successively lighter, but just lighter. Something like this:

English
German
French
Chinese
Japanese
Esperanto

Aha, thanks. Hmm, that still seems probably cluttered/confusing (e.g. if there is a "false friend" word in some other language (e.g. an English speaker seeing German "Gift" and thinking "donation") which someone quickly recognizes and then erroneously thinks is therefore in their own language - especially if the false friend is the prominent darker English word) and off-putting. If it's a game with a very large deck of cards, I can understand the economic reasons for considering doing it this way, but from a player's point of view, it seems undesirable. :/

Quote:
And yes, Esperanto is actually on there because the way the text is organized, we needed a sixth language, but looking at your profile, it looks like it is your primary language!

It is at home with my wife, anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.