10 Posts

Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Boss questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game last night, and while my strategy was woefully inadequate, I think I got the mechanics of the game down. I got a little unlucky in that the boss showed up on the first draw, so he got recycled and didn't show up again until Extinction, right after Asteroid Impact wiped out many of my decent hunt cards.

However, I was just curious about a few things related to the end-game.

Firstly, environment cards were recycled during the game. Does that mean that if I get a "Battle Ends" result, I'll be pulling a new one and implementing it as normal?

Secondly, how do you lose to a boss? Is it just by determining you can't beat him and giving up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean about environment cards being recycled. They're the one deck that doesn't get recycled.

You lose the game to a boss if you fight him in the Extinction round and a fight round ends on the "Battle Ends" result. Since that's the last round of the game, you don't have any more chances to beat him so you've lost to him. I imagine that it's conceivable that you might find yourself in an endless cycle where you do just well enough to hit a level that keeps the fight going, but doesn't hurt the boss. In that case you could just concede. But I think the penalties associated with those levels would usually hurt your deck enough that sooner or later you would get the Battle Ends result.

If you get a Battle Ends result, then the boss is recycled. You don't repopulate the Game Trail, but you do repopulate the Evolve pool. You can now finish your turn and buy cards from the Evolve pool or your hatchery if you have any Evolve points in your hand.

It is possible to cycle completely through the Hunt Deck and see cards again, particularly if events, minions, menaces and predators have been eliminating cards from the Game Trail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, but I'm still not sure. I'm using the 2nd edition rules, if that makes any difference.

Page 22, Step 3 under "Ending the Round": The revealed environment card is placed on the bottom of the Environment Deck facedown.

Also, where in rules does it say that the game ends when you get a Battle Ends result in the Extinction event round?

The way the rules are worded, and the fact that the Environment Desk gets recycled, it seems as if you could continue on... and try to get some more Evolve cards or Apex cards before starting off on the newly healed boss. I get that it doesn't necessarily make thematic sense, but I just don't get why to recycle the Environment Deck otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc H

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see the wording on page 22, Step 3. But this "recycled" environment card will be placed below the Extinction card, so I don't think it matters. The Extinction card is your last chance to beat the Boss. See page 26, "Determining a Win and Scoring"--there it says the Extinction card is the final round and your last chance to become the apex predator.

I had to cram in about ten plays over a week to really understand this game, but it's a great game (which makes the company's recent demise even sadder).

EDIT: you lose to a boss when that battle is forced to end. For example, if you only generate 5 Hunt Points in a given round against the Mapusaurus Boss, you "Gain an Affliction card, battle ends." If this occurred during the final Extinction round, there would be no need to take the affliction card into your deck because the battle--and thus the game--is now over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, makes sense. Thanks to both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. I've been pretty much playing this game non-stop for the last couple weeks. Your question about how to lose to the boss was one of my first questions too. I forgot about playing environment cards face down under Extinction since I don't do it, and I knew the game with Extinction.

An easily overlooked, but very important rule: when a card tells you to eliminate and doesn't specify a source, it means your hand OR the discard pile. This makes Dynamic Vitality a lot more powerful. It also gives you great choices (and sometimes, greater risk) when predators in the Game Trail force you to eliminate apex cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bissett
msg tools
smittyohio wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm still not sure. I'm using the 2nd edition rules, if that makes any difference.

Page 22, Step 3 under "Ending the Round": The revealed environment card is placed on the bottom of the Environment Deck facedown.[...]

I don't mean to divert the thread, and will start a new one if this requires >1 response, but is there more than 1 version of the 2nd edition rules? I just got my copy, 2nd ed, and there's nothing about the Boss Battle on page 22 in mine. The BB stuff starts on page 23 for me.

Thanks,
Bobby

p.s. Am still catching up on the AT forums, and if I find my answer elsewhere will respond here and link to it to close the loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gans
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
The Boss Battle rules start on page 23 in both the pdf rulebook (preliminary 2nd edition rules that's been floating around) and the newer rulebook released with the game and the print-and-play rulebook.

The above references to page 22 are talking about the end of the round after one fails the Boss Battle. There was some confusion over the Environment card being recycled, but I think @Doc's answer cleared it up.

Herschel separated the Boss Battle and Alpha Battle rules from the general rules (p. 1-22) since Boss and Alpha games are each played differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbissett wrote:
<snip>...is there more than 1 version of the 2nd edition rules? I just got my copy, 2nd ed, and there's nothing about the Boss Battle on page 22 in mine. The BB stuff starts on page 23 for me.

Unfortunately, the PDF that is available (it used to be on the site before it collapsed) and the printed book that came with the game aren't even the same.

**edit: completed a sentence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bissett
msg tools
goblin wrote:
The above references to page 22 are talking about the end of the round after one fails the Boss Battle. There was some confusion over the Environment card being recycled, but I think @Doc's answer cleared it up.

Ah, sorry for the noise! Yes, given the subject and my newness to the game, was confusing a game round with a bout (which in my head was a 'round' of boss battle).

Cheers,
Bobby

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.