5 Posts

Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Best chips for FFA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buhay
msg tools
Hi,

I recently got this game (2nd edition) and I was able to play the FFA with 2 of my friends and we enjoyed it a lot. We followed the Panic time rule, -$1 on combine, and FFA rule in the 3rd edition. I would like to ask for some advise on what would be the 10 best chips to use on FFA games; since we only used the suggested first game ones. Thank you.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
If you only have the core set, you only have 24 different puzzle chips. Choosing 10 at random will mean that you will see all the chips within a handful of games.

If I'm remembering correctly, the 2e version of Stolen Purples was problematic in FFA, as it knocked the purples out of all player's hands, and there were some other issues in banks where players could chain Combo Practice and Knockdown together resulting in games where nobody got to do anything.

Additionally, some chips are much much better for certain characters than for others. Really Annoying is beastly for 2e Arg; Draw Three and Sale Prices are better for Setsuki than they are for anyone else, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buhay
msg tools
Hi Rabid,

Thanks for the reply! I have removed the Stolen Purples, Combo Practice, and Knockdowns from my list of usable chips. I will also be removing Really Annoying, Draw Three, and Sale Prices when anyone is using Arg or Setsuki.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Stolen Purples was the only chip we ever banned for any length of time. It is probably the most disruptive and annoying attack chip. Everything else balances out over time, esp. if you make players change up characters.

When we played 2-4 games every day at lunch, we would randomize the chips once and then randomize the characters for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buhay
msg tools
Hi Malachi,

Thanks for the reply. We'll try just removing stolen purples. I did notice that removing the 2 reds sometimes limit some character's effectiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.