$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

The Capitals» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rahdo inspired two player inititave variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
In the two player game doing the infinitive track the way the rules are written doesn't really make much sense. Basically once someone is first player they can either pay $6 to stay in first or $6 to go second. So there is really no reason to give it up. In rahdo's video he did it by paying from the top down so going second is $4 instead of $6. check it out at 31:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bhb09Mqcxg

Basically the change is this.

During the initiative phase the cubes start at the top half of the track. Then the player pays the multiplier of the new position they choose in teh bottom half. Their cubes stay in the bottom until the next initiative phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
You realize that paying $6 doesn't guarantee anyone to be first... in that example Richard used the two spaces to the right of the track...

there are still two spots to the left, so in that case, if Jen had paid $6 to stay in the same place she wasn't guaranteed to be first... Richard could pay $6 to go the the next spot on the left and he's now first player.

And there's another reason for Jen to go to the spot on the right paying the same $6 she would pay if she would have stayed in the same spot... it's pretty obvious to see, you go to the right most spot so that in the following round you will pay less if you want to take first player again... since it didn't make difference to her now be in second or first, by going second she's doing 3 things:

1- Forcing Richard in the next Round to choose his placement in the turn order track first

2- She's forcing Richard to pay more next round (he will always have to pay at least $6 even to go last, instead of the $4)

3- She'll be able to go to first place by paying less than she would have to pay if she had stayed in the same place now... for example, if she wants to go to the spot on the leftmost space she would now have to pay $6 instead of $9

You keep wanting to change things in games after you have played them one time... the designers of the games you play must be pretty stupid to not realize dumb mistakes they made they you do discover when you play for the first time!! Impressive!

Well, at least this time you placed this in the variant section and you didn't claim the game was broken... that's a progress
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
So anyway..

Anyone that plays with two give Richard's way a try, it makes more sense and works really well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
The Paulo Renato explanation is very good, there isn't something to fix, but I do not see major problems in testing other possibilities in the use of the initiative track. The idea of the economic track is that those who have better conditions to make money will have control of initiative more often. Other numbers can be used without causing imbalance, provided it is not too aggressive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
thiagbs wrote:
The Paulo Renato explanation is very good, there isn't something to fix, but I do not see major problems in testing other possibilities in the use of the initiative track. The idea of the economic track is that those who have better conditions to make money will have control of initiative more often. Other numbers can be used without causing imbalance, provided it is not too aggressive.


Thank you Thiago
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
thiagbs wrote:
The Paulo Renato explanation is very good, there isn't something to fix, but I do not see major problems in testing other possibilities in the use of the initiative track. The idea of the economic track is that those who have better conditions to make money will have control of initiative more often. Other numbers can be used without causing imbalance, provided it is not too aggressive.


I didn't say it's a problem but it doesn't work right with two as is. Obviously I'm not alone in this thinking or Radho wouldn't have made the mistake. Regardless this isn't up for debate this is the variant forum and my proposed variant is based off Rahdo's interpretation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
thiagbs wrote:
The Paulo Renato explanation is very good, there isn't something to fix, but I do not see major problems in testing other possibilities in the use of the initiative track. The idea of the economic track is that those who have better conditions to make money will have control of initiative more often. Other numbers can be used without causing imbalance, provided it is not too aggressive.


I didn't say it's a problem but it doesn't work right with two as is. Obviously I'm not alone in this thinking or Radho wouldn't have made the mistake. Regardless this isn't up for debate this is the variant forum and my proposed variant is based off Rahdo's interpretation.


Rahdo making a mistake in one of his videos is an indication that something doesn't work well with 2 players?!?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
He just played the wrong way in that example you know that sometimes he does that if he didn't I would be out of a Part-Time job...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
Yup this variant works great, even got Thiagos approval:

All you do is:

During the initiative phase the cubes start at the top half of the track instead of the bottom. Then the player pays the multiplier of the new position they choose in the bottom half. Their cubes stay in the bottom until the next initiative phase.

simple and more balanced, especially for two. Try it out. Would love to hear from PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRIED IT
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Yup this variant works great, even got Thiagos approval:

All you do is:

During the initiative phase the cubes start at the top half of the track instead of the bottom. Then the player pays the multiplier of the new position they choose in the bottom half. Their cubes stay in the bottom until the next initiative phase.

simple and more balanced, especially for two. Try it out. Would love to hear from PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRIED IT


I prefer to play games the way they were designed and tested and not the way someone thinks it's better after having played once!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
Muse23PT wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Yup this variant works great, even got Thiagos approval:

All you do is:

During the initiative phase the cubes start at the top half of the track instead of the bottom. Then the player pays the multiplier of the new position they choose in the bottom half. Their cubes stay in the bottom until the next initiative phase.

simple and more balanced, especially for two. Try it out. Would love to hear from PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRIED IT


I prefer to play games the way they were designed and tested and not the way someone thinks it's better after having played once!


Then maybe avoid the variants forums.. the end!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Yup this variant works great, even got Thiagos approval:

All you do is:

During the initiative phase the cubes start at the top half of the track instead of the bottom. Then the player pays the multiplier of the new position they choose in the bottom half. Their cubes stay in the bottom until the next initiative phase.

simple and more balanced, especially for two. Try it out. Would love to hear from PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRIED IT


I prefer to play games the way they were designed and tested and not the way someone thinks it's better after having played once!


Then maybe avoid the variants forums.. the end!


I avoid what I want to avoid... if I want to post here I will post here and if you don't like it it's not my problem! Deal with it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Back Asswords inititave variant
thiagbs wrote:
The Paulo Renato explanation is very good, there isn't something to fix, but I do not see major problems in testing other possibilities in the use of the initiative track. The idea of the economic track is that those who have better conditions to make money will have control of initiative more often. Other numbers can be used without causing imbalance, provided it is not too aggressive.


Thanks Thiago.. Looking forward to your email with the expansion track idea.

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rahdo's two player inititave variant
And now you put Rahdo's name on the variant so that you can have more views and approval... how low can someone go? Apparently very low!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rahdo's two player inititave variant
Muse23PT wrote:
And now you put Rahdo's name on the variant so that you can have more views and approval... how low can someone go? Apparently very low!



Well that's where it came from so only makes sense.. How about you go play games now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rahdo's two player inititave variant
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
And now you put Rahdo's name on the variant so that you can have more views and approval... how low can someone go? Apparently very low!



Well that's where it came from so only makes sense.. How about you go play games now.


No... it came from your head, Richard din't proposed this Variant, he just made a mistake when playing the game... and it's abusive of your part to use his name without asking him for permission...

You are free to propose all the variants you want but don't use other people names for the variants that you create without asking them, even if they were the inspiration for it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rahdo's two player inititave variant
Thanks for your permission
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rahdo's two player inititave variant
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Thanks for your permission


I aim to please... unlike some other persons on these forums
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rahdo's two player inititave variant
hehe, i might as well wade in i reckon. i love the game, and had a great time playing it "wrong" as i demonstrated in the runthrough, but TBH i think the original correct rule is superior, even for 2p, because it makes a more interesting first player tug of war.

as designed, if someone wants to take first player from someone else, they're going to have to pay significantly more for the privilege, but once they've done so, their opponent now has to decide whether they value taking it back, since the shoe is on the other foot. with my goofed version, basically it's a less compelling decision, because there's less on the line, and the turn order changes hands a bit more often with less careful consideration, it seems to me.

so for myself, going forward, i'll stick with the original rules as written (well, except for my own variant i listed here). as such, could you change the title of the thread a little... maybe something like "rahdo's goofed 2p variant" or something, just so that it's not put out there that this is an actual variant that i proposed or recommended?

thanks buddy! glad you're enjoying the game and trying to spread the word... it deserves a lot more love IMO!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard how come you never acknowledged the mistake in the video or comments? Either way thanks for the idea intended or not
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Richard how come you never acknowledged the mistake in the video or comments? Either way thanks for the idea intended or not

Yup, glad it improved the game for you!

The goof was noted in the main video at 27:17 this was back when I was doing annotations though, and I wasn't good about including them in show notes, so you only see it if you're watching the vid in a computer browser...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Richard how come you never acknowledged the mistake in the video or comments? Either way thanks for the idea intended or not

Yup, glad it improved the game for you!

The goof was noted in the main video at 27:17 this was back when I was doing annotations though, and I wasn't good about including them in show notes, so you only see it if you're watching the vid in a computer browser...


FOr us it makes things more interesting otherwise the person who nabs first never really lets it go since it's the same price to keep it.

Great game regardless.. Can't wait for the expansion and to try the new initiative track.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
rahdo wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Richard how come you never acknowledged the mistake in the video or comments? Either way thanks for the idea intended or not

Yup, glad it improved the game for you!

The goof was noted in the main video at 27:17 this was back when I was doing annotations though, and I wasn't good about including them in show notes, so you only see it if you're watching the vid in a computer browser...


FOr us it makes things more interesting otherwise the person who nabs first never really lets it go since it's the same price to keep it.

Great game regardless.. Can't wait for the expansion and to try the new initiative track.


Again, like I posted above... it's not the same price to keep 1st player... there are more spots to go than the first tow in the right that you keep talking... there are 2 more spots on the left of those... so if you pay $6 you are far from having guaranteed that you will be first... but I guess it's too much for some people to grasp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.