Normandy '44» Forums » General

Subject: Noob question: Strongpoints - any use or mechanic behind them ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hi gamers,

I am just getting into the game and I have 2 questions concerning strongpoints:

- Can I use them as Allies/CW/Brit ? And do they then provide any cover for me ?

- Whats the whole philosophy behind this strongpoints in the game ?

Thanx for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German Stongpoints are GERMAN units for all purposes, so they cannot be used by Allies. They represent manned fortified positions that the Germans would not have retreated from (hence their inability to retreat and their '0' movement factors).

Improved positions are foxholes, trenches, hastily built fortifications that both sides can use to make hard to defend terrain (think 'clear terrain') easier to defend - both by increased DCBs and by improved ability to do determined defense. Only infantry units can build these because they represent 'digging in' and tanks don't do that very well .

-K
co-developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
There are two odd markers up in Cherbourg that don't really fit the general rules:

(16.1.6) Permanent Improved Positions: There are two permanent Improved Positions printed on the map (Osteck and Westeck). These can never be removed and both players may use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True....and actually a good note since this is something you will find VERY often in wargames....

EXCEPTIONS!

(the bane of us developers everywhere!)

Wargames are trying to model an amazingly complex situation. The goal is to come up with basic "simple" rules that cover as much of the simulation as possible and then address the 'corner cases'. This is where the exceptions come in (and I cannot think of any wargame that does not have at least one!).

These 'permanent IPs' don't rise quite to the level of strong points, but were also positions that the Allies either used (or could have used) defensively, once they were taken from the Germans. Mark made them 'permanent IPs' to represent this in the game.

-K
co-developer N'44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx to all your info. See clearer now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.