GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,283 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Ascendancy Play Mat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Varney
msg tools
Found this on some German website. It's quite possible I just missed it but, this is the first I've seen anything that looks like it's from GF9.

Explore strange new worlds on a richly detailed 91x91cm Galactic Map. Made from waterproof, durable, lay-flat vinyl. Nebulas mark recommended starting points for three and four player games for quick set up.

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Star-Trek-Ascendancy-Play-Mat-EN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it at the Trek con here in NY yesterday, it's $40. They said it was a convention exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I also saw it at Gen Con. I bet it's a "convention exclusive" now, only till the game is released that is. Then of course - as with the Firefly mat - it will be available retail.

But to be honest, IMHO, I wouldn't bother. Just as the image in the OP shows, it's nothing more than a 3' x 3' space-themed mat with "Star Trek Ascendancy" printed in the corner to remind you of what game you're playing.
Edit: Joseph informs us that there's more to the mat than I was aware of. See his post, below.

There are many, and higher quality, 3rd party X-Wing mats out there that would serve the same purpose. (I thought the ST:A mat felt very thin... as if it were nothing more than a sheet of vinyl).

One more consideration... if you play a four-player game when the expansions start coming out, I have a feeling the 3' x 3' will be too small.

Edit: I know that Quiver offers a 3' x 4' (and a 3' x 3') space-themed mat that is thicker and made of a better material, with more vibrant colors. I know other vendors offer similar mats. One more thing about the color of the ST:A mat... Again, this is my personal opinion, but I thought that the shade of blue they use to represent deep space is too bright - distractingly so. Though that may be a print run issue. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Varney
msg tools
captds9e wrote:
They said it was a convention exclusive.

Guess that's technically correct. Timed exclusive but, it is the only way to buy one, atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

But to be honest, IMHO, I wouldn't bother. Just as the image in the OP shows, it's nothing more than a 3' x 3' space-themed mat with "Star Trek Ascendancy" printed in the corner to remind you of what game you're playing.

I picked it up at the NYC convention because the seller pointed out to me that it has a purpose. Not only does it look like the quadrant of the galaxy that Star Trek takes place, the purple nebulas are where you place your home planets in a 3 player game, and the orange nebulas are where you place your home planets in a 4 player game. The nebula in the bottom left is both colors.

So it not only looks nice and is of good quality, it is also a map for the game (I opened it up and found an insert that told me the same information the guy did).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ForlornWolf wrote:
... it has a purpose. Not only does it look like the quadrant of the galaxy that Star Trek takes place, the purple nebulas are where you place your home planets in a 3 player game, and the orange nebulas are where you place your home planets in a 4 player game. The nebula in the bottom left is both colors.

OK, good info to know! Thanks for setting the record straight. This tidbit wasn't mentioned when discussing the mat at Gen Con. I'll edit my post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered picking one up at Gencon, but the quality was a deal breaker. It feels like a cheap vinyl and for the $40 they're asking you could get a much higher quality mat online with whatever image you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
ForlornWolf wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

I picked it up at the NYC convention because the seller pointed out to me that it has a purpose. Not only does it look like the quadrant of the galaxy that Star Trek takes place, the purple nebulas are where you place your home planets in a 3 player game, and the orange nebulas are where you place your home planets in a 4 player game. The nebula in the bottom left is both colors.

So it not only looks nice and is of good quality, it is also a map for the game (I opened it up and found an insert that told me the same information the guy did).

That's really cool! That might have tipped the balance for me at Gen Con to get it. I wasn't that thrilled with the space image on it though. I also noticed on Sunday that the sample mat looked pretty scratched up. Not sure if someone was trying to test it or what, but it had some streaks on it. Not actual scratches, but lightened streaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Hey, NYC AREA STA players! PM me to come play here in Brooklyn!

Lately I've been meeting new local pals here on bgg who have been meeting me to play games, but not from this discussion board yet. I've played STA nine times so far, and am going to start experimenting with some of the Optional Rules, both noted on other threads here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
goo Hey, NYC AREA STA players! PM me to come play here in Brooklyn!

Lately I've been meeting new local pals here on bgg who have been meeting me to play games, but not from this discussion board yet. I've played STA nine times so far, and am going to start experimenting with some of the Optional Rules, both noted on other threads here.

I would love to hear about the accelerated startup and what the game loses when you skip ahead in resources. Thanks for sharing, as always, Chas.

By the way, I'm a big fan of the play mat. The pre-measuring and defining the boundaries is very convenient. It is pricey for sure and it does seem to scuff a bit easily, but it has very solid utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that four player indications are given on the 3'x3' mat, since it seems to me that if you need to put out all of the systems you use, it would be too crowded with four players. I seem to recall GF9 posting somewhere that they used a larger mat as well, but I don't remember where. Certainly it won't work with five or more. Nor will my entire table large, come to that, unless we agree to use a rectangular space instead of a square.

A discussion topic for October for sure...

Charlie Theel,

Yes, boosting the starting resources is the third Advanced Rule I would introduce, after Random Universe and Focused Research. Its the only 'Accelerated Rule' that really grabs me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well GF9 announced on their website that the Mat will be coming to stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.