Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by Ronnie Tucker's excellent how-to-play videos (thanks Ronnie!) and another read of the rules I played my first (solo) game of NML yesterday: Scenario 2. The French lucked out on the Surprise Phase roll with a 2, which, with the +1 modifier for the free preparatory line barrage, became a 3 allowing set-up on the M row of hexes.

I concentrated the attack on the far right of the French line setting up half the French infantry (four stacks of 2) in the M Row as a first wave and a second wave of infantry in the far right hexes of the O row (Roger Trench). Is this set-up permissible, or do all the attacking infantry units have to set up in one line?

I searched through the rules and all the BGG Forum questions but couldn't find the answer, apologies if I missed it.

It turned out to be a good day for the French with the wave attacks, air superiority, good observation of the German left flank positions and bombardment breaches and damage to the wire. The French MGs and Mortar in the center of the line wrecked havoc with the German troops trying to move to the left to reinforce the defenders at the point of attack.

Great game Arnauld -- thanks!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezmozgu wrote:
Inspired by Ronnie Tucker's excellent how-to-play videos (thanks Ronnie!)

My pleasure! And thanks for watching.

I'm sure Arnauld will appear to give you a definite answer to the setup question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
the free preparatory barrage (1.5.3.3) is not available in 1915.

Quote:

Starting from 1916, you may choose to perform – for free – up to three extra Straight Barrages in addition to those authorized by the scenario. Barrages are made one after each other. For each “free” Straight Barrage performed, add +1 on the Surprise Table.

The rules state that "these stacks must be adjacent at the start of the game". If units are adjacent, it is allowed (not in the spirit of what I wanted - I wanted a line to simulate a massive assault-, but authorized for this time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnauld,

Thanks for the quick response to my question! Just to follow up to make sure I understand everything clearly:

1. Is the scenario-listed French straight barrage against the 1st barbed wire row free? Or do you have to pay 5 AP for it, which reduces the French AP from 6 to 1?

My understanding is that the scenario-listed barrages are free based upon the BGG Forum discussions and Errata posting. Is this correct?

My apologies for not being clearer in describing the straight barrage used in my first game: I only applied the scenario-provided straight barrage against the wire row during the 1.5 Preparatory Bombardment phase by placing a Test counter in the wire row's wire box (and testing the wire hexes when French units moved adjacent). I did not use any additional line barrages during the rest of the phase or assault phases since they are not available until 1916. But I did not pay 5 APs for the initial wire barrage and used the 6 French APs for Hurricane Barrages on key German points during the 2.1 Attacker's Actions 2.1.1 Artillery Phases. These Hurricane Barrages were somewhat successful, especially against the German MG team on the German left flank near the French point of attack, which was eliminated early in the game.

2. Thanks for the correction to my mistake on the adjacency rule. Although all four infantry stacks in each wave were adjacent to one another (Hexagons M10, M11, M12, and M13 -- 1st wave; and Hexagons O10, O11, O12, and O13 -- 2nd wave) during the game yesterday, the two waves were not adjacent to each other and were separated by Row N hexagons.

If I understand your response correctly, you would prefer that the attacking infantry be set up line abreast along the row in which they deploy as a result of the 1.6 Surprise Phase die roll. Is this right?

Can two waves set up as long as the waves are adjacent to each other (e.g. 1st Wave: M10, M11, M12, M13, and 2nd Wave: N10, N11, N12, N13)? I doubt I would use this formation though as it would be a very tempting target for the defender's artillery!

3. Follow-on questions: Do the French MGs and Mortar have to set up along the same hexagon row the attacking infantry does? Or can they deploy in the Roger Trench even if the infantry sets up farther forward as a result of the Surprise Phase die roll?

I am really enjoying the game and it has spurred me into studying the Great War, something I have not done despite a life-long interest in military history. Merci beaucoup for creating such a fun and informative game. And please forgive my denseness as I wrap my head around the system.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
1. Is the scenario-listed French straight barrage against the 1st barbed wire row free? Or do you have to pay 5 AP for it, which reduces the French AP from 6 to 1?
My understanding is that the scenario-listed barrages are free based upon the BGG Forum discussions and Errata posting. Is this correct?

Everything in the special rules are free (except, perhaps, bullet, that are not lead-free)

Quote:
My apologies for not being clearer in describing the straight barrage used in my first game: I only applied the scenario-provided straight barrage against the wire row during the 1.5 Preparatory Bombardment phase by placing a Test counter in the wire row's wire box (and testing the wire hexes when French units moved adjacent).

Very good !

Quote:
I did not use any additional line barrages during the rest of the phase or assault phases since they are not available until 1916. But I did not pay 5 APs for the initial wire barrage and used the 6 French APs for Hurricane Barrages on key German points during the 2.1 Attacker's Actions 2.1.1 Artillery Phases. These Hurricane Barrages were somewhat successful, especially against the German MG team on the German left flank near the French point of attack, which was eliminated early in the game.

Good job !!

Quote:
2.Although all four infantry stacks in each wave were adjacent to one another (Hexagons M10, M11, M12, and M13 -- 1st wave; and Hexagons O10, O11, O12, and O13 -- 2nd wave) during the game yesterday, the two waves were not adjacent to each other and were separated by Row N hexagons.

If I understand your response correctly, you would prefer that the attacking infantry be set up line abreast along the row in which they deploy as a result of the 1.6 Surprise Phase die roll. Is this right?

Right, Multi-waves or Blobs will come later in the war and will be specified by special rules.

Quote:
Can two waves set up as long as the waves are adjacent to each other (e.g. 1st Wave: M10, M11, M12, M13, and 2nd Wave: N10, N11, N12, N13)? I doubt I would use this formation though as it would be a very tempting target for the defender's artillery!

see above.
But I authorize you to test this formation. During the 4 years, there were some experiments in order to breach the defense. Why not yours ?

Quote:
3. Follow-on questions: Do the French MGs and Mortar have to set up along the same hexagon row the attacking infantry does? Or can they deploy in the Roger Trench even if the infantry sets up farther forward as a result of the Surprise Phase die roll?

No MG for the French: it is a typo! (no MG for the Attacker in the game)
This typo explains why some players found this scenario too easy.
The Mortar may be placed where you want. I suggest you one of your trenchlines.

Quote:
I am really enjoying the game and it has spurred me into studying the Great War, something I have not done despite a life-long interest in military history. Merci beaucoup for creating such a fun and informative game.

Very glad you like this game. Nothing can enlights my day more!

Quote:
And please forgive my denseness as I wrap my head around the system.

Please, forgive my "poor" initial rules!
Use the living rules, they could help you a lot !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many, many thanks for the clarifications and corrections! This is a very challenging, playable, and elegant system.

I should have realized that wave attacks, not to mention infiltration and German stormtruppen attacks, developed later in the war in response to the heavy casualties and failure of the early massed attacks. The adjacency rule for Scenario 2 makes a lot of sense for the 1915 period.

My bad on missing the deletion of the French machine guns from the Scenario 2 order of battle. They really unbalance the scenario in favor of the French. The other thing I forgot was the scenario's "-1" modifier to the French mortar fire on the Bombardment Table, which also greatly benefited the French attack.

Time to play Scenario 2 again with the correct OOB and understanding of the rules!

Your responses and patience have greatly assisted me in getting a grasp of the basic system concepts and I look forward to learning more about the evolution of trench warfare with the other scenarios. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.