Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Presence -- can you chain placement of troops in a single turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This part is not entirely clear from the rules.

So my question is this -- When you place troops, can you take advantage of the new presence created by your newly placed troops?

For example, let's say I have a unit in Area A, which is two steps away from Area B. Can I place a soldier on those two spots one by one and then place a unit directly in Area B? Or is presence like in Twilight Struggle - you only check for it at the start of your turn? So you can't "chain" placement of your troops.

I'm not sure what the design intent is but Twilight Struggle-style may make it more strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzvika Harpaz
Israel
Kiryat Tivon
North
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anient wrote:

So my question is this -- When you place troops, can you take advantage of the new presence created by your newly placed troops?

For example, let's say I have a unit in Area A, which is two steps away from Area B. Can I place a soldier on those two spots one by one and then place a unit directly in Area B? Or is presence like in Twilight Struggle - you only check for it at the start of your turn? So you can't "chain" placement of your troops.

I'm not sure what the design intent is but Twilight Struggle-style may make it more strategic.

The way I see it, "Deploy a Troop" is a single action which can be repeated multiple times on your turn. Each time you execute this action, the board changes for the reminder of the round, just like "Place a Spy" or "Supplant a Troop" change the board for the following actions in the same round. Thus, using "Deploy a Troop" multiple times allows a player to chain troop placement.

The more ambiguous card action is "Deploy X Troops". Is it one deploy action of X troops or X deploy actions of one troop? Since there are only rules for the deployment of a single troop, in our group we interpret it as multiple deploy actions of a single troop which allows chains.

After playing more than a few times, I think that this is the right way and any other way would make the game much slower and less dynamic (and less fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts.

I absolutely agree with you that it could be interpreted your way. That was how we played it in my 2 plays. But I went home and thought about it again and I wasn't sure that was what was intended.

I have to disagree that playing it the "Twilight Struggle" way would make it less fun though. It would be more difficult to make inroad and would make blocking more effective. It would also make spies and assassinations and supplant actions more powerful.

It could also be potentially more strategic.

edit: your interpretation is probably correct though. But I would like to have an official ruling anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tzvika wrote:
anient wrote:

The way I see it, "Deploy a Troop" is a single action which can be repeated multiple times on your turn. Each time you execute this action, the board changes for the reminder of the round, just like "Place a Spy" or "Supplant a Troop" change the board for the following actions in the same round. Thus, using "Deploy a Troop" multiple times allows a player to chain troop placement.

The more ambiguous card action is "Deploy X Troops". Is it one deploy action of X troops or X deploy actions of one troop? Since there are only rules for the deployment of a single troop, in our group we interpret it as multiple deploy actions of a single troop which allows chains.

After playing more than a few times, I think that this is the right way and any other way would make the game much slower and less dynamic (and less fun).

That's the same way I see Deploy X Troops, multiple single deploys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can chain placements of troops in a single turn, including "deploy x troops" abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Lee wrote:
Yes, you can chain placements of troops in a single turn, including "deploy x troops" abilities.

Then it is gospel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.