United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard it said that the geek as a site has a significant bias on the site towards one style of game or another, and while I've seen posts where people have essentially shaken their fist at the sky in outrage with much gnashing of teeth I haven't seen much in the way of suggestions on how to improve things.

Go check out your favorite games on a weekly or even daily basis. Subscribe to your favorite games so when new content is added you are made aware! Stop in and post strategy on the forums related to the games you are skilled at, or ask questions in the ones you would like to be more competitive in. Post session recaps.

Find other people that like the games you like, and try to generate good buzz on the site for a specified period. Tie the buzz to a real world event. (Push Blood Bowl when rugby or American football season opens, or war games for Memorial day weekend.)

Higher ratings of European style games than American style games.
If you think that's the problem, then draft more friends to come to the site and have them rate the game.

Hit local game nights and teach people how to play your favorite games, then have them come rate the game.

Run gaming events that focus on your preferred style of game. (Tournaments and leagues help.)

Newer games are going to have ratings spikes early in their release cycle, make sure to try the new American style games and let people know if they were good. SPREAD THE NEWS.

Many American games are older games, so they may not have the buzz, that's true with older European games as well.

There are fewer resources on the site for my preferred games.
Make some, and post them. Player aids are great, individual play mats are useful for games that don't provide them.

Contact the companies you like, and ask them if they will step up their profile or exposure on the site.(Q&A, player aids, forum participation)

Submit some interesting photos

My games are never mentioned in Geek Lists
Go make some Geek Lists. There are many interesting elements about every kind of game, if you can't start a good geeklist that relates to your games you just aren't trying.

My games are never mentioned on the forums.

This is pretty easy, go out and start threads explaining the benefits and attractive elements of your preferred game.
(This does not require attacking other games.)
Talk about the similarities of the games you like and the games other people like. (You like bidding games? Check out Vegas Showdown)

Game owners usually like the games they have purchased and can become defensive when those games are attacked. Avoid venomous and subjective judgments, people like "your game sucks, mine is better."

What are some other issues about game bias on the geek and what suggestions do you have for other geek members about getting exposure for the games they like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I pretty much agree with you, but a little more exposure can't hurt.

But if everyone knows how to build exposure and community around the games they appreciate then there will be more people they can play those games with. Also, the more successful your games are the more likely they could be supported, expanded, or re developed.

However if that's not an issue for you, no peril at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with that at all, I just thought some people might be interested in these tips. Perhaps I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My game preferences seem to put me in a very small minority (I mainly like old school American games that are not wargames and Euro-American Intermediates). I'm a cardboard junkie. When I see a thread complaining about the complexity and length of a 2 light 2 hour Euro I frown and 'walk' away. Statistics (see mkgray's http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18879 or my own http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15636) shows that I'm a freak.
Still, I don't care that my kind of games is generally under-represented and under-rated on BGG. There are a few freaks like me and some other users with overlapping preferences who I 'use' for advise. BGG ratings are determined by a huge majority that doesn't like my kind of games and vice versa and are, therefore, largely irrelevant to me.
Now, what I fail to understand is how that could be a problem. I can find anything I need to know about obscure American games from the late 70s or early 80s and the rest of my time here on BGG I spend on arguing about unimportant details or helping out any way I can (and are allowed).

Walsfeo wrote:
Higher ratings of European style games than American style games.

And rightly so. Most modern Ameritrash games are crap. I think Puerto Rico and Caylus are boring, but they beat the juvenile nonsense of Nexus Ops and its brothers easily.

Walsfeo wrote:
Hit local game nights and teach people how to play your favorite games, then have them come rate the game.

There already are enough people that think I'm a freak. Let's not increase that number too much.

Walsfeo wrote:
There are fewer resources on the site for my preferred games.
Make some, and post them. Player aids are great, individual play mats are useful for games that don't provide them.

Indeed. Quit whining, get to designing!

Walsfeo wrote:
Submit some interesting photos

My underlining...

Walsfeo wrote:
My games are never mentioned in Geek Lists

No, not even by me. So what?
The most interesting geeklists are not just lists of games, but deal with all kinds of topics that are often only vaguely game-related. The games on the list aren't important. The idea behind the list and the execution of that idea are.

Walsfeo wrote:
Go make some Geek Lists. There are many interesting elements about every kind of game, if you can't start a good geeklist that relates to your games you just aren't trying.

Oh no, please not. We don't need loads of lists for every silly niche within the niche. Of course, well thought out lists are fine, but another list that doesn't do anything else than listing games that fit in some sub-sub-sub-niche aren't particularly interesting.

Walsfeo wrote:
"your game sucks, mine is better."

"Mine is". Ah, how sweet, a newbie. Newbies are allowed to say things like this as long as they own just one game.

Walsfeo wrote:
What are some other issues about game bias on the geek and what suggestions do you have for other geek members about getting exposure for the games they like?

a) It's a non-issue.
b) Just create the content you're interested in. Not to promote your kind of games, but because you like creating that content. That will lead to the best content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Subscribe to your favorite games so when new content is added you are made aware!

Could you tell me how to do that? When I go to a game page, I see nothing that applies. I've tried to answer questions on one game, but I have to remember to check once in a while. I could handle a few more if I could figure out how to subscribe.

I do my share of organizing and such for games I like. I'm not that concerned how well my types of preferred games are represented here.

What annoys me here is the casual dismissal of certain types of games or mechanics and the apparent acceptance by most users. I make it a point to politely but firmly refute such narrow-mindedness when I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
rshipley wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
Subscribe to your favorite games so when new content is added you are made aware!

Could you tell me how to do that?

At the bottom of the screen, in Your Collection, check Notify me of Content, and click submit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
[slaps head]

Thanks Dan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
I read the tips and I found the post interesting. It's weird that starting a thread with a well thought out post gets little attention and other threads started with almost no forethought by the OP start flamewars and/or 5 pages of replies. Maybe a more controversial tagline or premise would "hook" people quicker.

Eh, I'm not here to get attention for myself, but I agree that some of the wrong posts get to much time and emotion expended on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
My game preferences seem to put me in a very small minority

Do you think that even though you are in the minority people look down on you and your game choices? I don't look down on people for the games they enjoy, though in many cases I don't understand what they find entertaining.
Lajos wrote:
...shows that I'm a freak.

Everyone is a freak, we just freak over different things.

Lajos wrote:
Most modern Ameritrash games are crap. I think Puerto Rico and Caylus are boring, but they beat the juvenile nonsense of Nexus Ops and its brothers easily.

I really enjoy Nexus Ops, even though it may be a bit juvenile, it feels like a complete game. The American games I have problems with are the ones that don't give as much thought to the final project as the Euro games. In many of them rules are not as well organized and unity of product design is apparently not considered. Nexus Ops does not have that feeling for me. (I know you were not indicting Nexus Ops specifically, it's just a good example)

Lajos wrote:
There already are enough people that think I'm a freak. Let's not increase that number too much.
If they end up liking the game then introducing them to it wont make them think you are a freak. Anyone who likes board games would probably appreciate being introduced to the geek.
Lajos wrote:
No, not even by me. So what? ...

I got nothing on that. I just figured some folks might have issue with this.
Lajos wrote:
Oh no, please not. We don't need loads of lists for every silly niche within the niche. Of course, well thought out lists are fine, but another list that doesn't do anything else than listing games that fit in some sub-sub-sub-niche aren't particularly interesting.

I'd propose that geeklists which discuss niches are better than geeklists like "what color of meeples do these games have". Lists like "what games uses these themes and what do people think of them" or "here is a list of games that use blind bidding/tables for combat resolution/whatever mechanics and so on are worthwhile content for the site.
But yeah, worthwhile (or well thought out) should have been included like interesting in the photo section.

Lajos wrote:
Ah, how sweet, a newbie. Newbies are allowed to say things like this as long as they own just one game.

I... I don't know how to respond to this.

Lajos wrote:
a) It's a non-issue.
Some people disagree, not me, but some people do.
Lajos wrote:
b) Just create the content you're interested in. Not to promote your kind of games, but because you like creating that content. That will lead to the best content.
True enough, but some people just don't think of submitting stuff they have at home, or even don't realize how easy or fulfilling it is to put something on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
What Id like to see is more people invest a small portion of time into adding more data to games in the database. There a heaps of games with little or no data with a handful of owners, if these owners would take the time to add more data and some images then everyone is better off for it. And if they took it a step further and wrote reviews and session reports we would have a more active database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
What Id like to see is more people invest a small portion of time into adding more data to games in the database. There a heaps of games with little or no data with a handful of owners, if these owners would take the time to add more data and some images then everyone is better off for it. And if they took it a step further and wrote reviews and session reports we would have a more active database.

That's a great idea. Maybe if there was a game of the day (kinda like a geek of the week) that was highlighted so people would know it needed additional information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Walsfeo wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:

That's a great idea. Maybe if there was a game of the day (kinda like a geek of the week) that was highlighted so people would know it needed additional information.

That is frightening Ive been thinking about bringing tha tidea up all day, spooky huh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. C.
Canada
Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:

I was thinking about this recently. It would be interesting to see what would happen if perhaps 3-5 old and new games were selected, and people (if interested) were suggested to play them within a certain time period (perhaps 6 weeks). This would bring out discussion of forgotten games. The process would be repeated with another set of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. C.
Canada
Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
I think the games should at least be ranked in the top 1000 or 2000. There are a LOT of games out there and many do not deserve any attention.

I agree. And you would want to select (random or not) games that a specified (large?) percentage of BGG members actually own. This way there is a good chance that at least one of the games in the group is available to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
My idea was for the geek of the week to choose 7 games to be highlighted during the week after they have been chosen as the GOTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This is ALL noble and well intentioned, while I have to declare that the MAIN 'problem' has to DO with some of the people in "power" themselves. The BIAS is based upon their reluctances to accept others contributions that don't kow-tow with these "beliefs" that they've been inculcated with. I've had PLENTY of "game related" materials that were dismissed without any form of proper response being given for those "rejections", and the ONES doing this don't even have the BALLS to publicly redeem themselves upon the matters! They HIDE behind their anonymity and can rely upon NOT being "called upon the carpet" for their decisions, so what are YOU or 'moi' supposed to then DO? Well, for one thing, then NOT becoming a "sponsor" and hurting them in the WALLET might do the trick. You should publicly ANNOUNCE this as well, and see how many others join in then eh? Don't worry as the very little amount of folks who would do just such, are outweighed by the amount of "lapdogs" that will most certainly offset the effort. Take this for what you shall, or NOT!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.