Hide
12 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: How do you guys even keep up with this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
Seriously these guys at Wizard don't waste any time. Just saw on Facebook that another expansion was on the way, considering Eldritch Moon just came out. I can see why Wizard and store owners would love it, but for the player that must be very stressful just keeping up. Especially when you need as many 4 of a kind as you can get. Not to mention that every 3 months you have cards you need to study and get used to. I mean 6 months would be more sensible but every 3 months on and on is just crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is the reason many people stopped playing magic and switched to other card games (LCGs for example) or board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Dude
msg tools
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Maybe this is the reason many people stopped playing magic and switched to other card games (LCGs for example) or board games.

Yeah but LCGs aren't any better, even the players themselves tell you, "you have to buy every single Netrunner pack" in order to have a chance. It just seems that Hearthstone seems to be the only card game where you don't have to have "everything" to be competitive not saying that it doesn't get expensive but atleast Blizzard aren't coming up with new cards every other month. Plus while I do buy packs every once in a while, I have never felt like I was falling behind and could kick some serious ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Magic works as long as you have a friend who plays with you and is willing to spend nearly the same amount of money as you do. Not more and not less otherwise the decks can't compete.
I never liked tournament Magic. Today you just have a look at the internet for deck lists and then buy the cards you need online. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must differentiate between casual players and tournament players. For many tournament players, this is the only game they play. It's their one lifestyle game. And if you spend countless hours with a set, you're ready for a new one every three or four months.

Casual players don't need to get all the cards, so it doesn't concern them as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what you want out of the game.

If you want to be competitive and a tournament player you will spend some serious $$. Keep in mind not only in cards but traveling to events if you want to be super competitive.

Now if you want to enjoy the game as a casual player? I recommend some FNM (Friday Night Magic) at your FLGS. Limited formats are harder but you just show up buy entry and are given product to build a deck with for the night. Then you keep the cards and add to your collection.

Play with local friends but be sure you all have an understanding on the power level of decks you are going to use. It isn't a whole lot of fun if someone has super power deck and you have a few cards you got from FNM and possibly a pre-release. Oh yea did I mention go to the Pre-Release! They are a blast and a fun way to get some new cads.

Here you have to realize that if you are a completist you will spend some money. If you just like playing with what you have you can play for less.

In full disclosure I have been playing since 1994 and have gone though the phases of competitive and casual. Right now I enjoy casual game play and can also enjoy all these other wonderful board games as well!

Enjoy the game as it is a LOT of fun but be sure to find the balance that works with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Nemeth
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The good part is that you don't have to keep up if you don'T plan to play competitively.

I would argue, that all casual decks from the last 15 years play nicely against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
msg tools
Easy for me. I play casually with the wife just by buying a few premade starter decks every once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of people also just drift in and out as sets appeal to them.....

Me? I drifted out years ago and never came back due to the advent of the FAR superior LCG model

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play non-rotating and limited formats now. So, EDH, sealed, draft, and cube are it for me. I buy a total of maybe 15-20 cards a year. No boosters (except during limited), only singles. I'm toying with investing in a modern deck (I'd do legacy, but that's beyond my price range), but if I do, that's another non-rotating deck that I'll only buy a couple cards for a year.

There is more stress if you play standard, which is the most popular format (along with, arguably, casual). I played standard for a few years, and that did occupy a lot of my time and budget. It's exciting and interesting if the format is healthy, but prohibitively expensive and stressful in the long run.

We're board gamers, so we're used to paying a lot of money for one game. Paying the same amount of money (or maybe double that) or a single non-rotating deck isn't that absurd. It's just trendy to look down on CCG players from our cardboard throne built on a wooden cube pedestal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
mbmbmbmbmb
Cube, for the best of all worlds.

"...companies need to continuously innovate or risk dying".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Moon Came out July 22nd. Kaladesh Launches Oct 30th. That's almost 3 full months, and a typical pace for magic sets. Like most companies they are touting their newest products in advance of the release date to generate hype/interest.

As someone who does participate in tournament magic I don't find that pace too stressful to keep up with. It's actually somewhat a relief to see a new set come out and shake up the tried and true of our weekly events.

Keep in mind that while a large set might be 200 or so cards, probably less than 10% of those cards will ever see constructed tournament play.

So what do players do? They trade or sell the cards they don't want or are uninterested in for the cards that they do want or are interested in.

There's a reliable and consistent market for singles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.