5 Posts

Normandy '44» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob question: replacements and reinforcements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hi gamers,

just learning the game (my first wargame and I am stuck at the beginning of turn 2 (replacement phase).

I wonder if I can release all the new units given you on the German Reinforcement card (all 8 units for the 2nd turn ?)? Or do I have to pick one or more due to my supply points ?

You see I am confused on this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Replacements and reinforcements in this game are two entirely separate things.

Replacements restore units or unit steps to play that were lost due to combat or airborne scatter: one step restoration costs one replacement point. Reinforcements bring new units into the game. Replacement points are earned based on the weather roll in each turn's initial phase and then "spent" in each player's replacement phase to restore units or unit steps. German reinforcement units come into play in the German movement phase according to the German Reinforcement Card. Allied reinforcement units are "bought" from the "In Britain" card using the 6 reinforcement points that the US and the Commonwealth each receive on all non-storm turns and then landed on open beaches.

Another point of potential confusion lies in this game's dual use of the term "supply". The first use of "supply" is the supply points that each side receives in the initial phase of each turn based on the weather roll. These supply points are used for artillery shifts. The second use of the term "supply" is evaluating whether or not units are isolated by not being able to trace a line of supply at the end of each player's turn. These two forms of supply have nothing to do with each other and are completely separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danberniekeeler wrote:
Replacements and reinforcements in this game are two entirely separate things.

<snip>

These two forms of supply have nothing to do with each other and are completely separate.

That's the danger of having done this for forty-plus years: it never occurred to me that these could be confusing, but of course they can be to newcomers.

To the original poster, hang in there: there is a great hobby here and a lot of fellow players who will get you over the initial hurdles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx for all your info. Makes it easier for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.