1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » General

Subject: What to buy to keep this like a regular boardgame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M V
msg tools
Hi everyone.

I know probably everyone is asking what to buy but i'd need help also.

I have a Group of friends who like strategic games a lot, we have many but not everyone can afford to buy their copies.

So in this case since we like games like battle of westeros, memoires and so on i wonder what should i buy to have a decent gaming experience as if it was a regular tactic game.

Thus i have to buy both rebels and empire pieces for a balanced game.

For now i only got 1 copy of the base set.

And i'd like (if possible) to not buy copies of the same pieces.

Also i have to play at a friend place thus move everything back and forth :/ consider that also if possible.

Ty a lot

P.S. for example i think i'd like to buy a copy of empire and a copy of rebel squadrons. But no ideas on bigger starships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of each Squadron pack is a good idea to start.

I would suggest a Imperial Class Star Destroyer because you can't seriously play a Star Wars Capital Ship game without the most iconic ship. Then a MC80 Home to balance things out a little and you should be good to go. Then slowly expend from there, depending on your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Castle wrote:

I would suggest a Imperial Class Star Destroyer because you can't seriously play a Star Wars Capital Ship game without the most iconic ship. Then a MC80 Home to balance things out a little and you should be good to go. Then slowly expend from there, depending on your taste.

I'd add the Star Wars: Armada – Rogues and Villains Expansion Pack pack to that. How can anything feel like SW without the Falcon or Slave 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
philtrees wrote:
Red Castle wrote:

I'd add the Star Wars: Armada – Rogues and Villains Expansion Pack pack to that. How can anything feel like SW without the Falcon or Slave 1?

Omg >.< didn t see there was a pack with the M falcon >.< ty a lot....

About the imperial star destroyer...
I read the game is a bit unbalanced and needs something more agile for empire and something more strong for rebels.

isn't the imperial star destroyer too slow?

if not what you said would be the perfect setup
Ackbar ship, star destroyer, millenium falcon

ty a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Star Destroyer you are talking about is probably the Victory Class, and it's not that it is too slow but hardly maneuvrable.

The Imperial Class is a powerhouse and a great center piece for any Imperial fleet. Just learn to exploit the Navigate Command with it and you should do fine. It can move at speed 3 so I would not consider it slow.

The great thing about the Imperial Class is that it can fit pretty much any role, depending on how you equip it. It can be one of the best carrier in the game, it can be a big damage dealer, it can be a tank... it's a very versatile ship.

As for the Rogue and Villains expension pack, yeah I included it when I said one of each Squadron pack, they bring a couple of new cool mecanic to the game.

Like I said, I would start with this setup since you can't go wrong with it and then judge by yourself if you think it's wise to add more ships for more balance.And if you plan to always play with the same player, I would consider keeping an eye out for the campaign set coming out later. It will be a nice way to bring a little bit of narrative to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that one of everything is a good place to start, with two of each fighter pack. Make sure to pick up the CR90, Nebulon-B and Victory packs, as these contain different cards than their base game counterparts.

If you like it, then buy more of what you like or, as I am doing, twonof everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
I think that one of everything is a good place to start, with two of each fighter pack. Make sure to pick up the CR90, Nebulon-B and Victory packs, as these contain different cards than their base game counterparts.

If you like it, then buy more of what you like or, as I am doing, twonof everything.

Honestly if you are just playing from a casual standpoint you could always proxy these...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
So if i get:

-Core set
-Imperial class
-MC 80

-imperial squadron expansion
-rogue squadron expansions
-rogues and villains

I can build 2 fleets of how many points?

That setup seems good for my wallet

Starting buying every single expansion instead seems too expensive

Expecially i don't fancy buying copies of the same miniatures like victory pack and stuff... unless they are really necessary.

We don't plan playing tournament but we want to play a real game rather than a tutorial since we are quite experienced in tactical boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik F
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was really helpful for me:

http://xwingtactics.blogspot.de/p/new-players-guide.html

So getting:
- a core set
- assault frigate mk ii
- gladiator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a self-contained, no-more-purchases kind of game, I would say:
Core set
Dice pack
One each of all three Squad packs
I--Imperial Star Destroyer
I--Interdictor
R--GR75 Transport
R--(Large Mon Calamari of choice)
R--(Small ship of choice: MC30 or second Nebulon/CR90)

That would let you build a few different 400 point fleets, or a fair number of 300 point fleets. You can get two Stanley tool organizers (like https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Fatmax-FMST14820-FatMax-Organ... at Amazon) that would hold everything for each faction, so it could transport easily. The nice thing about keeping it smaller at, say, 300 points, too, is that you can play with a bit less than the suggested 6 foot table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:
So if i get:

-Core set
-Imperial class
-MC 80

-imperial squadron expansion
-rogue squadron expansions
-rogues and villains

I can build 2 fleets of how many points?

That setup seems good for my wallet

Starting buying every single expansion instead seems too expensive

Expecially i don't fancy buying copies of the same miniatures like victory pack and stuff... unless they are really necessary.

We don't plan playing tournament but we want to play a real game rather than a tutorial since we are quite experienced in tactical boardgames.

I think this is a really good first purchase, though I think you could use a small imperial ship (raider or gladiator) and another rebel bigger ship (another nebulon/MC30 or, better yet, an assault frigate) if you can stretch.

You can make easy 300 point games with this and could also do 400 if you use upgrade cards slightly liberally. You're pretty good with this setup for a good number of games.

I think people saying you have to get one of everything are exaggerating what you need for a satisfying base set, though getting just a core is definitely insufficient. The game with just the core set one of the biggest crimes about Armada (and I love Armada).

Also, I like the MC80 Liberty better than MC80 Home One, but that's a personal preference. So don't sleep on having two options there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:

Also, I like the MC80 Liberty better than MC80 Home One, but that's a personal preference. So don't sleep on having two options there.

I personally don't have a preference of MC80, although in this case, I would favor the Home One for 2 reasons:

1-It's more iconic, it's Ackbar ship instead of the one getting blown out by the Death Star.

2-It offers a different gameplay style than the Star Destroyer. If you get a Imperial Class and a Liberty Class, both faction will get more similar gameplay. Getting a Home One and a Imperial Class allows you to offer two distinct gameplay from both faction: One favor direct approach, the other the broadside approach. It's more flavorful this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Risor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the ships are important since they bring with them unique leaders and upgrade cards. But it is a expensive game and many of us have to buy in slowly more and more.
For me I had to buy all because my friends don't have money to buy in to this. But it is my favorite game and I prioritize this game. The best is of course if you have friends that can buy into one of the factions and then you may concentrate on one side. And buy more ships.
But don't worry if not. Just buy the ships you like one at the time. The game is fun and playable even if you don't have all the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
Well i admit i am little confused...

I will start buying squadrons + home one and imperial class and then buy some smaller frigates when i ll have more moneys.

But there is a thing that comes to mind when looking at the full setup...

Where do i get an extra copy of asteroids and stations without buying another core set?

To start a game i need 6

Is proxying the only way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:
Well i admit i am little confused...

I will start buying squadrons + home one and imperial class and then buy some smaller frigates when i ll have more moneys.

But there is a thing that comes to mind when looking at the full setup...

Where do i get an extra copy of asteroids and stations without buying another core set?

To start a game i need 6

Is proxying the only way?

No you don't. You are only playing casually. You could simply proxy anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Brien
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just looking to play casual, what you have listed is good. And if you're buying a core set, unless I read wrong somewhere up above you don't need two sets of asteroids and station - you'll only ever need one core set for those pieces.
I was fortunate enough to get in on the Hastings going-out-of-business sale, picked up the smaller frigates and a dice pack for 30% off. So if you have that $$ sooner than later, you can save another $5-$10 depending on what you get, and if you're lucky.
It's a great game, hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of everything and two of the fighter packs up to Wave 2. That is plenty. I don't really think I need any more for variety.

I'm looking at Wave 3 because the GR-75 was in the movies and I think they are cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Don't forget the campaign.

I am really looking forward to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
Found a huge discount near home (they were dismissing it because they say it didn t sold well .-. luckily i play it with friends so i don't care).

So bought

Imperial Star destroyer
Gladiator

MC80 Home One
Frigate Mk II

Rebel expansion
Rogues and villains

They didn t have the tie fighter expansion

But basically i got the MKII and the Gladiator for free.

Also i saw the campaign expansion (not yet released here) will have a copy of stations and asteroids to get to 6.

Once i'll have those i'll consider my collection complete (its already a pain to move everything).

Ty a lot.
I will get the last pack and ask your help to balance a couple lists.

How long doesa 400 points game takes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With that imperial fighter pack eventually I think you are all set for a long time. Nice!

Games of this aren't that long once you get up to speed. Two hours? Two and a half? Maybe a tad longer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:

How long does a 400 points game takes?

How long do you take to play six rounds with your friends. We get it done in under a hour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
Thank you

i tried to write a list here
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23646587#23646587

If its ok i am ready to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
VonDodo wrote:

How long does a 400 points game takes?

How long do you take to play six rounds with your friends. We get it done in under a hour

An hour? I play with my friend on regular basis and all our games last between 2.5 - 3 hours (and that's only if we have fleets already builded). 1 hour is impossible.

BTW OP has bought a good set of ships. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.