James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might sound like a strange question, but I recently came into a complete set of descent 2 minis (heroes and monsters) as well as a couple extras of the bigger ones (for example, I got 2 red and 2 white dragons), and it has prompted me to wonder what could be done without buying a complete base set. For example, could I play scenarios from an expansion box if I just had the rules manual and used the minis I have and bought an expansion? Would I need tiles from the base set (ie: expansions don't have tiles) or are the minis I have only used in scenarios in the base set? (I know I would probably have to buy dice, but I noticed those can be bought separately.)

Also, are the doubles of the big monsters pointless, or are there circumstances where they could be used?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need quite a bit from the base set: Tiles, character and monster cards, hero class decks, condition cards and chits. So unfortunately you'll probably need to buy the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Someone made a dnd-like guide for playing this like a role play game. That's the only time I could think it's useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. It is no big deal really. I saw the baggie on the shelf for 3 Euros, so I couldn't pass it up. At the time I didn't know they were descent minis and I thought that I would either paint them up, or give them to my kids to play with, or maybe work them into the D&D Adventure system games I have. I got curious and did a google search and it came up as descent. I never really had the drive to play the game, as it is just too long of a proposition, especially since I play the D&D games with my kids already, and sometimes those games are too long for them.

Would extra minis be useful in this game, or is it the type of game where the scenario calls for 2 white goblins and 1 red and you would never need more to play that scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra minis aren't useful in the game. Monster limits are set, so you will never need more than a red and white dragon, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's impossible to play Descent 2e without the base game box. Sure, you can buy a dice pack, and then you can buy the Conversion Kit, and then you can download Shadow Runes quest or Road To Legend app or buy the Heirs of Blood rulebook. And you can make your own tokens and cards if you don't mind low-quality homemade stuff like coins and note cards.

But you'll still be missing TILES. There's no way around that one. Unless you want to draw your own tiles on graph paper...

Just use your awesome bargain bag of Descent minis for other games which use minis. Descent minis are pretty versatile. Need harpies? Got harpies. Need ettins? Got ettins. Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:

But you'll still be missing TILES. There's no way around that one.

Yes there is. DnD playing mats.
They have the grid of about the same size as the Descent tiles, and they are made for you to draw walls, terrain and obstacles with a whiteboard marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
Mlai00 wrote:

But you'll still be missing TILES. There's no way around that one.

Yes there is. DnD playing mats.
They have the grid of about the same size as the Descent tiles, and they are made for you to draw walls, terrain and obstacles with a whiteboard marker.

IMO By the time I drew out the game on a tile I might as well play a role playing game. Descent's appeal to me is that it is "an RPG in a box". That is with no preparation my friends and I can sit down for 2 or 3 hours and have an like RPG experience. Descent really delivers on that. The game is very immersive and sacrifices just the right RPG elements to work as a board game but still have that epic RPG experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.