Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Can you skip expansion packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
The game has become quite massive, I'm wondering do all that play this loyally have all the expansions or can you skip? Is it one continuous long story or does each tell a story in itself? It's just hard and too expensive to buy everything that comes out for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It theoretically tells a story but episodically. Each quest is self contained. You can safely skip any part and not suffer more than if you missed an episode or two of a TV show.

Once in a blue moon there might be some self referential comment "after rescuing the princess, her father has trusted you with delivering this dispatch." But it's all fluff; you not knowing the name of the princess doesn't affect the game in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Saga" expansions are to be played in order (if possible) and tell the story of the Hobbit and of the Lord of the Rings. You don't need anything else.

The "Deluxe" expansions are about adventures set in a definite area of Middle Earth. Every Deluxe expansions comes with three quests, which tell an overall story. To each deluxe are then "attached" six Expansion Packs which further the story initiated in their Deluxe Expansion.

You don't need any DE to play the others (for example, my group started with "The Lost Realm" because we liked that area). However, be warned that FFG assumed that you learned to play the game "in order" - so more recent DE and AP are usually more difficult to beat that earlier ones.

A very good starting point, IMHO, is Kazad-dum: very thematic and with some of the best AP adventures. But you have to love dwarves! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing you can't skip are the deluxe sets if you're going through their related adventure packs. So, if you're running the Ring-Maker cycle, you'll need the Isengard Deluxe expansion.

I don't remember if the Adventure packs also use previous packs' Encounter sets or not, though.

EDIT: I should say, you need to own the cards from those sets. So if you're collecting a cycle you'll need the related deluxe set and the adventure packs. You don't have to actually play through all of the quests if you don't enjoy one. You can also skip cycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Each cycle has one box it uses cards from, and only that. So Mirkwood uses the core, Dwarrowdelf only uses the Khazad-Dûm bits, nothing from the core. Ring-Maker uses Voice of Isengard. If you get individual packs for just the player cards, you are wasting 32 cards per pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.