23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: CCG Faction Design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Mitchell
msg tools
Hi BGG,

I'm in need of your advice. I have a strategy card game I've been working on for a while, where the cards are square and act as tokens on a board grid. I have the majority of the mechanics figured out, and I'm at the point where I need to start designing the cards themselves.

Only one thing I know is an essential to CCG design is that you should have factions. Hearthstone: Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Shaman, etc. Magic: Blue, Red, Black, Green, etc. Pokemon: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, etc. I don't have any factions in mind at all, and it's simply not coming to me. The "theme" of my board game is largely general. It involves a mesh of science and magic, generally revolving around humans, mechs, beasts, and magical artifacts. The win condition is point capture.

How many factions is good to have?
How do you decide your factions?
What are some general objectives in creating factions?
Should factions be classified by theme or by function too?

Any advice you have to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
Evan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no real hard and fast rules in regards to this, just something to keep in mind.

The more factions you create, the bigger the job of balancing.

Start with two and work from there,or 3 of you are using a rock paper scissors method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lentz
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd say that in general, factions increase the playability of CCG style games. They force deckbuilding choices and allow you to craft flavor around the mechanics.

On the other hand, there is an upper limit to how many factions are practical to design for and still keep distinct and interesting. I'd say it's possibly from about 4-8, depending on the exact mechanics of your game, as of course, the more knobs you have to turn, the more ways you can divide them up between factions.

For most games, the sweet spot is probably more like 5-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with a "boring" baseline like humans or something. That gives you something to compare to once you start breaking the rules / adding flavor and mechanisms with the other factions.
Start with 2 until you can balance them. Make some tweaks, then once you've got it humming with 2 move on to more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice: Design to a stand alone card game system and not to a CCG model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

Agreed. Sometimes, though, I notice users don't necessarily mean CCG when they say CCG. It is just their way of referring to a card game.

If you did mean Collectible Card Game, here are my 2 cents (I've noticed that this is a widely shared sentiment across the board game community):

If you want to design a game, design it for the players. CCG's are designed to make money; they are not designed FOR the players. Magic and Hearthstone are examples of games designed to make money. In this model, you can't just simply collect every card in one foul swoop. Instead, you have to keep making further investments into the game, opening packs filled with random cards, until you collect the cards you want/need. This creates an uneven playing field, and is unappealing to players (ESPECIALLY in new IP's).

Magic, Hearthstone, and Pokemon are exceptions:
Magic has the advantage of being one of the first, if not THE first CCG. Hearthstone is backed by a wildly popular IP. Pokemon is also a popular IP.

Since you have neither of those characteristics going for your game, the CCG business model has little chance of success. Fantasy Flight's LCG's and Legendary's card games, and even the recently Kickstarted Codex are all examples of how do to things differently (read better).

I hope you follow their lead and design it for the players (and even expand upon what these examples have done). If it's a good game and you go about it the right way, it will probably sell. You probably won't get rich, but you might be able to start your own game design and/or publishing company.

As far as factions go, they're usually pretty integral to a PvP card game's theme. Start with 2, then try adding more. I wouldn't go above 8, and maybe even table some factions for future expansions so that you can refine and balance what you have after a certain point.

Good luck, and may the mana be with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Mitchell
msg tools
GeordieY wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Agreed. Sometimes, though, I notice users don't necessarily mean CCG when they say CCG. It is just their way of referring to a card game.

If you did mean Collectible Card Game, here are my 2 cents (I've noticed that this is a widely shared sentiment across the board game community):

If you want to design a game, design it for the players. CCG's are designed to make money; they are not designed FOR the players. Magic and Hearthstone are examples of games designed to make money. In this model, you can't just simply collect every card in one foul swoop. Instead, you have to keep making further investments into the game, opening packs filled with random cards, until you collect the cards you want/need. This creates an uneven playing field, and is unappealing to players (ESPECIALLY in new IP's).

Magic, Hearthstone, and Pokemon are exceptions:
Magic has the advantage of being one of the first, if not THE first CCG. Hearthstone is backed by a wildly popular IP. Pokemon is also a popular IP.

Since you have neither of those characteristics going for your game, the CCG business model has little chance of success. Fantasy Flight's LCG's and Legendary's card games, and even the recently Kickstarted Codex are all examples of how do to things differently (read better).

I hope you follow their lead and design it for the players (and even expand upon what these examples have done). If it's a good game and you go about it the right way, it will probably sell. You probably won't get rich, but you might be able to start your own game design and/or publishing company.

As far as factions go, they're usually pretty integral to a PvP card game's theme. Start with 2, then try adding more. I wouldn't go above 8, and maybe even table some factions for future expansions so that you can refine and balance what you have after a certain point.

Good luck, and may the mana be with you.

Thank you both for your advice. I encounter this advice every time at the mention of a CCG or TCG, and every time I appreciate it, because I know it's coming from good intent. I purposeful don't design the distribution model during the game's conception. I certainly would hope to have the opportunity to design expansions for the game, because to me that suggests demand and interest in the game — which would be my definition of success — but a traditional distribution model such as randomized boosters and sets is not something I would ever bank on. I'd just sell all cards in a new set as a new expansion.

Am I using the term CCG incorrectly? I did not think it inherently meant a booster-distribution model. Just a game with cards that you can collect.

And thanks for the advice on factions. I guess my struggle is that I desperately want to avoid the cliche of elemental categorization or RPG categorization: fire/water/earth/air, warrior/mage/rogue, etc. But despite that I don't have any ideas on how to categorize my factions in a way that is meaningful and contributes to the game's mechanics.

Guess I'd call it writer's block? I don't know.

Anywho, thanks again. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Kerkhoff
Colombia
flag msg tools
A steampunk-themed faction perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say don't worry about the factions from a thematic storyline standpoint yet. Instead, ask yourself what are the playstyles you mechanics lend themselves to. What are the valid strategies you foresee in this game? Build your factions around that. Then decide what the factions are thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren J
msg tools
Can you mixed different factions together or are they Separate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Soul Proprietor wrote:
I would say don't worry about the factions from a thematic storyline standpoint yet. Instead, ask yourself what are the playstyles you mechanics lend themselves to. What are the valid strategies you foresee in this game? Build your factions around that. Then decide what the factions are thematically.

And, if you haven't ironed out the mechanics or figured out a clear picture of what playstyles they lend themselves to (if you have all new, completely unique mechanics, it might not be clear yet what playstyle they best fit), consider thinking in terms of archetypes.

Examples of archetypes: control, aggro, midrange, etc.

Then, you could design factions and mechanics to fit certain archetypes. I definitely recommend making at least 1 mechanic unique to each faction you decide on. Often times that may even lead to a theme by itself without you having to do any additional thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy Jordan wrote:
Am I using the term CCG incorrectly? I did not think it inherently meant a booster-distribution model. Just a game with cards that you can collect.

From the BGG glossary:
Quote:
CCG

n. Abbreviation for Collectible Card Game. This type of game uses a basic rule structure and a large assortment of cards which each have characteristics that contradict or supplement the basic rules. Each player selects a number of cards that they own to create a deck which they use in the game. This allows players to predetermine their strategies. The game rules define how many cards must be used and how many copies of each single card are allowed. Cards are sold in "booster packs". Packs contain a fixed number of cards and usually include one "rare" card, some "uncommon" cards, and the bulk of the pack contains "common" cards. Rare cards are generally more powerful or efficient than uncommons or commons, which can lead to the problem that the person who has spent the most money on cards wins. The original collectible card game was Magic: The Gathering. Its incredible success spawned dozens of copycat games. Some were good; many were awful. Other examples are Middle-Earth, Pokemon and Netrunner

You tell me if you're misusing it. It sounds like you are. I can assure you that you will definitely lose potential players if you are using those three letters to describe your game incorrectly.

Designing with room for expansion is fine. Trimming down from a pool of X to X/2, X/3 or X/20 is good game design and lets you hone in on the interesting aspects of play that you want to introduce in a completely stand alone game.

As to factioning, look at the different 'playstyles' or 'functions' that exist in the game and focus there.

Magic: The Gathering for example:
White: Defense and Boosts
Red: Direct Damage
Black: Graveyard manipulation, regeneration
Blue: Card/Deck manipulation
Green: Big Creatures, Instant boosters

That's just a touch of what each faction/color does, but each group has their thing and there might be SOME bleed into nearby colors, but opposition colors don't tend to get the primary ideas associated with a given color.

Take your theme, break down the 'big chunks' and make a faction around each one. See how that goes, iterate, iterate, iterate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The "theme" of my board game is largely general. It involves a mesh of science and magic, generally revolving around humans, mechs, beasts, and magical artifacts. The win condition is point capture.

Based on this, consider starting here:

Main groups: Magic & Science

Within each, split the sub-parts *differently* among each of the main groups.

Example:
Science - Humans & Beasts (Cyborgs, Biological Augmentation)
Science - Mechs & Artifacts (Engineers)
Magic - Humans & Artifacts (Sorcerers)
Magic - Beasts & Mechs/Golems (Control Magic / Pets)

That gives you some bleed over between factions.

The Cyborgs might pull some of the Humans or Beasts from the Magic factions, but would be unlikely to use the Mechs/Golems or Artifacts.
See where that goes.

The Sorcerers might use some of the Humans the Cyborgs have and some of the Artifacts the Engineers have, but shy away from Beasts or Mechs.

etc.

Factioning invites playstyles and focus. A "good" experience should come from playing a straight ticket within faction (see Android: Netrunner's starting play experiences for an example).

Then there has to be some kind of 'cost' to go out of faction, and a reason to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy Jordan wrote:

Some 2-10 probably. It depends on whether they can overlap (which allows more) and exactly what you consider a faction to be.

Boy Jordan wrote:

I'm not a game designer but if I was I'd probably start out from theme, and figure out what a particular faction should focus on in game play based on the theme. Some designers work from theme first, some mechanics first.

Boy Jordan wrote:

Making the game interesting. Adding flavour, giving you something to key special abilities off, probably other thing too.

Boy Jordan wrote:

Both theme and function. Each faction should have some unique features or at least features it focuses more on. For instance in Star Realms each faction has an ability which appears on some cards of that faction but not on any other faction. There's differences in how each good each faction is at generating the resources you need too (attack, money, cards in hand) but that's a slightly less obvious distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy Jordan wrote:

Start with two. You can always design more, but if you CAN'T design two distinct factions with their own goals, themes, and/or mechanics, then perhaps you don't need factions.

Quote:

I like to approach things from a thematic standpoint, personally.

"This faction is all about the blitzkrieg--fast, hard-hitting attacks. They're going to be vehicle-heavy, but vulnerable to ambushes, traps, and flank attacks. So how do I represent that mechanically?"

"This faction hates magic and the chaos it creates. They seek to enforce order and reason by eliminating magic users. They attack in large numbers, they have ways to mitigate magical attacks, but they're not well-equipped to deal with artillery bombardments and non-magical AoE attacks."

"This faction just LOVES flying. Like, so much. They'll fly planes, choppers, griffons, dragons, hang gliders, inflated cats (don't judge, the cats love the gaseous treats they need to eat to become inflated), anything. They are all about aerial scouting and assault."

Quote:

Factions create thematic identities onto which players can latch.

It helps create clear mechanical strengths and weaknesses. This is useful both for the players to know how to approach the game, and for you the designer, so you know how to craft the mechanics in a balanced and interesting way. It essentially creates a massive puzzle for the players to solve. "How best can I exploit the weaknesses of the enemy player's faction while mitigating my own weaknesses?"

Factions also create story. Players can see clear conflicts between the different factions. This helps draw them into the world and the tales being woven.

Quote:

"Should" is a tricky word.

The better question is CAN factions be classified by theme, or by function? The answer is yes.

This is game design. The only rules are the ones you create!

I will say that successful factions manage to meld both theme and mechanics.

Look at Magic: The Gathering's red mana. Thematically, it's passionate, impulsive, quick-thinking, chaotic, and really, REALLY loves fire. Mechanically, it has lots of random effects (chaos and impulse); Haste creatures (passion); it can draw cards, but often at the cost of discarding cards (quick-thinking, chaos, and impulse); and throws around a LOT of dragons and fire spells.

That's a fantastic melding of the faction's thematic and mechanical identities!

Quote:

You're welcome! I hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the theme of your game? What is the setting?

What do the mechanics lend themselves to?

You have lots to choose from, and arent necessarily limited to the standard dungeoneering/fantasy setting...

Pirates/Ninjas/Samurai?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Mitchell
msg tools
Guys, thank you so much for the great help. Each of your posts has been helpful, and I actually now know how I want to do my factions.

I won't go into too much detail, but there are 3 primary factions. I'm taking a soft-lock approach. You don't have to choose only one faction and then be locked to those cards, but each faction is governed by its own resources. 3 resources in the game. If you want to add more factions, it comes at the cost of consistency. So I guess like playing more colors in Magic.

This means there are 7 "factions" total.
3 mono.
3 dual.
1 tri.

NOW, I have another question for you...

How do you guys handle tribal design? Subtypes for your characters. "Human, mech, beast, dragon," etc. My plan is to not have tribes at all, because I hate having that feeling in others games (Hearthstone) that I should only include a Beast in my deck if there's already synergy for Beasts.

But what do you think? Benefits of adding tribes when you already have factions for the segmentation?

As always, thanks for the advice.

Best,
Evan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your 'tribes' are 'subcategories' of your main factions, yes?

So if you have 3 main factions and 3 "tribes" in each, you open up even more possibilities for focused and/or diverse play.

Is that what you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are using terminology that I don't think is familiar to most in this group. Certainly not to me. What do you mean by "tribes"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
You can include tribes for flavor, without adding any obligation to play that way. You simply add a character or creature type to something (It doesn't have to be limited to one type, by the way; "Human Warlock" or "Orc Shaman" can work just as well as "Beast" or "Pirate"). If you don't actually want to worry about it, then it just adds a bit to the theme. If you choose to add tribal mechanics later, then you already have some of the work for it finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishhammer wrote:
You can include tribes for flavor, without adding any obligation to play that way. You simply add a character or creature type to something (It doesn't have to be limited to one type, by the way; "Human Warlock" or "Orc Shaman" can work just as well as "Beast" or "Pirate"). If you don't actually want to worry about it, then it just adds a bit to the theme. If you choose to add tribal mechanics later, then you already have some of the work for it finished.

I agree with Grishhammer: better having them and not using than not having them and be limited in the future because of that. That said, if you have them, people might expect to see some sinergies or cards exploiting those subtypes.

I don't see why you don't want this sinergies. for most people that like this kind of game, building your deck and building sinergies are part of the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy Jordan wrote:

4-5, depending on the game. From there you can have any number of types to differentiate these factions.

Quote:

Just make a list of possibilities. You can make it really simple, just colors, a little more complex (Water, Fire, Earth, etc.), or more complex (Jungle, Volcano, Canyon, etc.) Think about what fits your theme best. Do these characters get their power through special stones or planets or something?

What are some general objectives in creating factions?[/q]
Diversity in playstyle is generally the goal. You want each faction to feel different.

Quote:

Both theme and function, theme should drive function and function should drive theme.

Quote:

Best,
Evan

No more advice, just, good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Only one thing I know is an essential to CCG design is that you should have factions.

Possibly more of an "unquestioned design assumption" than an essence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.