tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I have another question on movement.

I am blue. I had 5 hoplites in IONIA. For some reasons, I was able to move them all to ARKANANIA (in Yucata implementation). I checked the rule for movement across sea and land, and I hardly see how legal was my move.

the rule says: "Each Hoplite can cross either land territories or sea territories, but a combination of both is impossible"

This means I could not go from IONIA to THRAKIKON to MAKEDONIA and finally to ARKANANIA.

My only route would be by sea, However, Sparta has control of MYRTOON Pelagos, which means I cannot go by sea.

So my question is, Is Yucata allowed me a move that was not possible, or did I missed something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears you own Korinthos and, if so, you are able to use the strait that bridges Kyklades and Ionion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is strait in Korinthos? I missed that in the rules.

Is this considered not going through land?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The people of Corinth will happily drag their allies' ships over the isthmus.

It is indeed in the rules. See pg 8, first bullet point on that page. (this is the 7th bullet point under "5. Move Hoplites".)

Related: also on pg 8, last bullet point under "6. Move Galleys".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure which version of the rules I have (I know they were re-written at least once)... should be latest and might be the version posted in the files section, but at the top of page 9 in the section that discusses '6. Move Galleys' the following paragraph appears:

A player controlling the polis of Korinthos is allowed to
move galleys directly from Kyklades to Ionio Pelagos (and
vice versa). The only difference is, of course, that galleys
can move only on the 5 different sea territories!

It is considered sea movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found the rule.

Wow.

That changes things. I can see the incentive to control Korinthos now...

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tom-le-termite wrote:
I just found the rule.

Wow.

That changes things. I can see the incentive to control Korinthos now...

thanks

Yes, I found Corinth a very tempting but dangerous city to own because of this. Just one of the aspects that make this a brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a brilliant game in many respects indeed.

The only down I found so far in it is the rolling die for city conquest.

I have seen a couple of games decided in the first round for failing to conquer a city with a defense of 2... 3 times in a row...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's geography is a key element to what makes the game brilliant (as you point out Tom). Just curious... the OP mentions Yucata implementation. I've played this game a couple times on Board Game Arena (BGA) and recommend it. Can anyone compare the two online versions? Is the Yucata implementation similar to BGA?

I am most interested in the movement rules implementation. I prefer the updated rule that prohibits the maximum number of units in a territory even during the move.

'Hoplites can never move through land territories whose capacity (of the current round) has already been reached.'

The BGA version plays fairly well with only a few minor issues (UI doesn't refresh after certain moves, some slowness for some moves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a good player will play or plan the first round in a way that he does not have to rely on such an action. And three times is just too much - that would mean more than 3 Prestige (you need to move in more forces) for a net gain of 2 Prestige.
Also, a good player will be able to come back from such a thing, if he does not let it drag him down (and three tries is just that).

This is not meant as condescencion - I myself am not really a good player (mid-level, probably). I just meant that the longer you play this game, the less unnecessary risks you will take.

On the other hand, if a game ends in the first round, just write it up to bad luck and play another...

I have been where you are, in the beginning. The one thing I strongly disliked was this ingress of chance in the game. And I was looking for alternatives. There have been suggestions as to how to play the game without the die for sieges, and there are a few good ones, to be found in these fora (and collected somewhere, in a document, methinks). But none of these, however good they were, really fit the bill, for me. And in the end, I came to appreciate the aspect of risk (not luck) the die provides in the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpisarzjr wrote:
The game's geography is a key element to what makes the game brilliant (as you point out Tom). Just curious... the OP mentions Yucata implementation. I've played this game a couple times on Board Game Arena (BGA) and recommend it. Can anyone compare the two online versions? Is the Yucata implementation similar to BGA?

I am most interested in the movement rules implementation. I prefer the updated rule that prohibits the maximum number of units in a territory even during the move.

'Hoplites can never move through land territories whose capacity (of the current round) has already been reached.'

The BGA version plays fairly well with only a few minor issues (UI doesn't refresh after certain moves, some slowness for some moves).

It was implemented on yucata on October 2015, so I believe it has the most updated rules.

Yucata wrote:
- Hoplites can never move through land territories whose capacity (of the current round) has already been reached. For example, a hoplite could (in the fourth round) not move from Megaris through Thessalia to Makedonia if the player already had 5 units in Thessalia. The number of a player’s own galleys in sea territories, however, is inconsequential for moving hoplites through it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric Bernat
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpisarzjr wrote:
Can anyone compare the two online versions? Is the Yucata implementation similar to BGA?

The BGA implementation is easier on the eyes, but... the lack of an undo button simply kills it for me. Back when I used to play on BGA, several times I did X with my first action, planning to follow up with Y on my second action, only to realize after committing to X that Y was not possible because of something I overlooked, but by then it was too late to undo X. Ouch.

The main downside of the Yucata implementation is that the map is rather small. (Note the little "HD" button near the top-right corner of the map that you can click to get a higher-resolution map -- although no bigger.) Other than that, the Yucata implementation is awesome: easy-to-understand controls, history, etc., etc. Really solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm the problem on BGA. Yucata interface is friendlier for the flow of gameplay and the HD map option helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
The most recent edition of the game includes a variant for besieging neutral poleis.

I have seen several posting discussing siege variants. What are the rules for the official variant? Are they posted anywhere?

After searching the forum I found your earlier post suggesting a variant that was added to the 2nd edition. I recall reading this suggestion. Thanks! Apologies on not researching before posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found it in the rule:

" Whenever a siege on a neutral polis is unsuccessful, place the killed hoplite onto the besiege polis tile. If the player on his next turn, opts to continue the siege, the player adds +1 to his die roll for each hplite on the besieged polis tile. Remove the killed hoplite(s) from the besieged polis tile if the player does not continue the siege on his next turn, Or if the player loses control of the respective territory."

Fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed this rule must have been added in the Mercury games edition. Both versions of the Asylum Games rules I have do not include this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is on the Mercury edition.
I checked on Yucata, this variant was not implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.