Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya guys.
I've begun to look for a really nice deck building game, and I have no clue what to get. Dominion just doesn't look that cool, Ascension is great but I can't really see myself playing it anywhere els than on the phone

SO... Heres the Legendary Encounters... How much replay value do they have? Is it any fun to play again after the first play through?

/hug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game would last a while since it contains a fair few different episodes (which can then be mixed and matched) and is pretty tough to beat anyway. Mixing up avatars and such will provide variety in the cards available and talents (and flaws) in each session.

However, I think the Legendary: Marvel stuff might offer more replayability simply because there is a greater deal of diversity in heroes, masterminds, villains and schemes (as well as plenty of expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I've got pretty much all of the legendary stuff. I'd say that Legendary Encounters is fantastic, but due to how the enemy deck is put together, there isn't a ton of variety. The game is divided into 3 episodes, or acts, or however you want to call it. Each act uses a group of cards, plus a small number of random cards to help account for different player numbers. So, after you've played through each act 2 or 3 times, you know exactly what's coming.

The Marvel version uses a shuffled deck of cards as the enemy deck, built up from different types of enemies. Each game will give you a very random collection of bad guys to fight.

I feel like Marvel gives you more variability, and therefor more replayability, but the Encounters games feel more epic, and if you aren't going to play it 20+ times, I would suggest the Alien version of Legendary Encounters over all of the others.

Another thing to consider is that the Encounters games are much harder than the Marvel version, so if you want a game that is a bit more casual, or that you can play with newer gamers, the Marvel version is definitely a better choice. There are also a TON of expansions, so you'll never run out of new stuff if you end up loving the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To build off what others have said in this post, Legendary Marvel is designed as a more traditional deck builder, with variability being part of the setup as you are instructed to randomly choose heroes, masterminds, schemes, etc. And if you like the Marvel Universe the characters and themes come through very well.

The Encounters games can be played with pretty much the same amount of variability as Legendary Marvel, the difference being you can also play them as the movies or the episodes each Encounters game represents (i.e. Aliens, Predator, and Firefly)--each ones bringing slight adjustments to the gameplay. I like being able to have the preset scenarios ready to go because it greatly simplifies setup (which can be a problem with any deckbuilder). Because each movie has it's own cast of characters, I can keep the objective decks and character decks together and just shuffle them before playing. As mentioned in a previous post, the Encounters games are tough to beat, so I figure if I play each movie multiple times I can get 12 to 16 plays in before even thinking about mixing movie elements together.

Also, each Encounters set brings some new element of gameplay into the Encounters formula:

Encounters Aliens: You can play with a traitor-like element, with one person potentially converting to an Alien if they get face-hugged and chest-burst.

Encounters Predator: You can play in a competitive mode, where each player takes on the role of a Predator and is hunting on earth (for trophies) and can fight against each other.

Encounter Firefly: Episodic gameplay and the addition of Serenity as part of the playmat: each game is made up of 3 episodes from the show played back-to-back-to-back with commercial-like intermissions between episodes where you can upgrade Serenity.

I personally own all the Legendary stuff and find value in all the sets available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.