United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

STAR TREK ASCENDANCY
UNOFFICIAL GAME TERMS
By Chas

Here are some terms we are coining while playing our games of Star Trek Ascendancy:

Christmas Tree: The layout of systems, nodes, and space lanes on the table.

Shut Down Maneuver: Closing off the planets of your own territory from connection with those of other rivals, thus denying First Contact with them.

Territory: The systems explored by one player before First Contact occurs.

Tipping Point: A player controlling five Culture nodes and thus having an income of five Culture per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting. our groups never really used the shut down maneuver except our first game no one wanted to connect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut Down Maneuver Variants

In order of greatest effectiveness:

1. Close off frontier planets with all of the space lanes to which they can connect.

2. Place your border planets too close to those of another player's territory for them to connect.

3. Do not develop past Phenomona discovered on your territorial borders.

4. Expand without moving much toward your rivals initially by extending all four possible space lanes from your Home System before exploring further outward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

1. Close off frontier planets with all of the space lanes to which they can connect.

2. Place your border planets too close to those of another player's territory for them to connect.

3. Do not develop past Phenomona discovered on your territorial borders.

4. Expand without moving much toward your rivals initially by extending all four possible space lanes from your Home System before exploring further outward.

#4 i just consider good practice. at least with 3 lanes if not all 4. #3 is also a good idea, but doesnt help as much unless you put blocking ships to force people to stop at the phenomena. even if it is foating people can connect to it and keep going into your home systems since only placing a new disk stops your movement, placeing new starlanes allows you to continue moving even at warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
chas59 wrote:

This seems difficult to do, since anyone can move any "floating" planets in order to make a connection. (So you can rotate your opponents floaters back to get the proper range for whatever space lane you just drew.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Chip,

It works just fine on a crowded board, especially on the edges of the playing surface rectangle. You can't swing a floating planet off the playing surface or into another planet. This is taking advantage of the anomaly of using a two dimensional surface to represent three dimensional space!

Marc,

That's right. You'll notice I ranked the four steps in order of effectiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
goo Chip,

It works just fine on a crowded board, especially on the edges of the playing surface rectangle. You can't swing a floating planet off the playing surface or into another planet. This is taking advantage of the anomaly of using a two dimensional surface to represent three dimensional space!

Marc,

That's right. You'll notice I ranked the four steps in order of effectiveness.

i hadnt noticed but i do now! thanks for this. i really love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.