Hide
3 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: red lantern power ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Merck
msg tools
why does this card cost 5 powers? I wouldn't buy it if it cost 1...Worst card in the gamesoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capojay wrote:
why does this card cost 5 powers? I wouldn't buy it if it cost 1...Worst card in the gamesoblue

The quickie/stupid answer is "because ALL power rings cost 5".

The longer answer is that it is a "skill card", one that you don't want all the time, but it can be quite nice, if not downright powerful.
I will admit that on its own, it is kind of underwhelming, but what you -can- do with it is definitely worth 5.

If you get it 'early game' you're very likely to be flipping up Starters to destroy.
If you get it late game there are those *-VP's to consider.

It can provide a solid boost of power to finish off a Super Villain or get some good cards from the line-up.
It -can- be one of the highest +Power cards in the game...if you're willing to sacrifice something 'big'.

Consider the set it comes from and just how many ways there are to peek/manipulate the top card of your deck (the Locations, Deadshot, Mr. Zsasz, Dr. Sivana...). If you know what's on top, and what's on top isn't good, then you can safely use the Ring.

Finally, consider what you are really losing on the deal?
Red Lantern Ring gives you "+Power equal to the destroyed card's cost."
You aren't losing any Power from the deal, because anything you 'spent' is returned.
Example: I pay 3 for a Kick. I play Red Lantern Ring and flip up a Kick and a Starbolt. I choose to destroy the Kick and get +3 Power.
Paid 3 for Kick, got 3 from destroying Kick > no lost power.
Yes you technically lose the VP from the Kick, but with an extra +3 power the card(s) you buy will probably make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Finally, consider what you are really losing on the deal?
Red Lantern Ring gives you "+Power equal to the destroyed card's cost."
You aren't losing any Power from the deal, because anything you 'spent' is returned.
Example: I pay 3 for a Kick. I play Red Lantern Ring and flip up a Kick and a Starbolt. I choose to destroy the Kick and get +3 Power.
Paid 3 for Kick, got 3 from destroying Kick > no lost power.
Yes you technically lose the VP from the Kick, but with an extra +3 power the card(s) you buy will probably make up for it.

This is crucial. Trading little stuff for extra Power so you can combine it with the other Power in your hand so you can buy something awesome; that's where it's at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.