Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OLIVIER GUILLAUME
France
SALOME
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi everybody,

I have just acquired Bottom of the Ninth and, as a Frenchie, do not know well the rules and environment of baseball but have a pretty good ideas of the basics.
I really appreciate the elements and look of the game, but I find it very hard to control anything despite I already played several games.
Indeed, despite the very good idea of guessing High/Low and /Away/Inside, I do not feel I can interact with what happens on the field. Even after the dice results, picking one option or the other is so obvious that again the game dictates the choice.
Maybe there is some sense of strategy in choosing the batters line-up and the order they take the bat, but it is not obvious to me.
However, I feel like I am missing something here, so I would appreciate if you could help me better understanding/appreciating this game.
Thanks for your welcome comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any hitters that can benefit from having baserunners on or a hitter that has his/her Crush enhanced in any way should not be near the top of your lineup.

Conversely any hitter that has an easier time getting on base or advancing bases should be hitting 1 or 2 in your lineup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OLIVIER GUILLAUME
France
SALOME
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks HawkFan for the advice. Anything else I should take care of? What about dice management?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guessing the pitch and such are only slight modifiers. They help improve the odds in your favor. But in the end dice are dice, there's still chances of things not going your way. The guessing game is fun though.

There is strategy in choosing your pitchers and your line up. It is similar to real baseball. For pitchers you want someone who is strong and can last as many pitches as possible. For the relief you want someone that can get your last quick out, might not have the stamina to go for many pitches.

With the way this game works there's a couple of strategies. One would be to put up the hitters that fatigue the pitcher quickly. Try to get the first pitcher out as fast as possible. Follow that, or start with, hitters that are more likely to get on base, like the one that gets one free roll when running. Your goal is to try to get one batter to second or third base. Then in the last spots in your line up you want power hitters. Ones that are most likely to get extra bases to drive the person on second or third home. You could put an all or nothing hitter in 6th in hopes to get the home run if things go bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.