Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have a couple of questions regarding interception in a solo play of Nieuport 1600. Please bear with me as I try to explain the actions and then the questions.

Two adjacent Spanish cavalry units are charging two adjacent Dutch cavalry units. Each Dutch unit successfully rolls for interception and attacks one of each of the Spanish units receptively (with them losing their +2 charge bonus). For the initial interception the result is A1/D2R2 with the Dutch unit advancing into the vacated hex. The second result was A1/D Elim with that Dutch unit advancing also (yes I know, a bad charge for the Spanish).

So my two questions are:

When the first Dutch unit advanced after combat, could it have faced into the flank of the remaining, now adjacent, Spanish unit and participate in that combat also, adding the +1 modifier for being a subsequent unit in the second attack?

And secondly,

When the second Dutch unit advanced after combat into the eliminated Spanish unit's hex, it came into the interception zone of a third Spanish cavalry unit held in reserve. Can the Spanish unit immediately attempt to intercept the Dutch unit advancing after combat?

In the second example and question, I played that the Spanish unit in reserve could intercept as reaction. I followed the same procedure to attempt interception and it was successful. It resulted in an A1/D1R1 result for the Spanish. Was I right to do that?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! It's a great game and I'm learning the system to then play Avec Infini Regret 1 & 2 which have just arrived in my mail box! I'd like to play through all 6 battles in sequence but want to get them right.

Thanks again.

Sean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Coupeau
France
Quimper
Breizh
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Sean,

Since Nieuwpoort was published, the rules have evolved. So I will answer with the latest set of rules, the ones of AiR2.

If the Spanish units are adjacent when starting their movement, they both don't have a charge bonus. Interception is now only meant for stopping movement. It doesn't stop the charge nor does it give the attack to the Dutch units.

When the first Dutch unit advanced after combat, could it have faced into the flank of the remaining, now adjacent, Spanish unit and participate in that combat also, adding the +1 modifier for being a subsequent unit in the second attack?
See 11.5:"Advancing units may change their facing by one vertex after entering a hex." But your first Dutch unit cannot participate/influence in another melee.

When the second Dutch unit advanced after combat into the eliminated Spanish unit's hex, it came into the interception zone of a third Spanish cavalry unit held in reserve. Can the Spanish unit immediately attempt to intercept the Dutch unit advancing after combat?
I think a word is missing in the rules. You should read "If an activated enemy unit". It does say "once per enemy activation". So a Dutch unit can try to intercept, not a Spanish unit.

Good games,
Florent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Florent and thanks very much! I'm sorry that I didn't get a notification of your reply or I would have responded earlier.

Your explanations make sense so it's appreciated. Perhaps my initial explanation was not the best. I meant that the two Spanish units were adjacent to each other two Dutch units were adjacent to each other; but, the Dutch and Spanish units were not adjacent to each other - clear as mud? It doesn't really matter in any case as your advice would have been the same regarding interception.

I do now have copies of Kircholm 1605, AiR and AiR2 in addition to Nieuport 1600, so I'll use the AiR2 rules for all of those from now on.

As a side note, is there going to be an AiR3 covering until the end of the wars of the period? I'd love to see that!

Thanks again and all the best with whatever project you are working on next. I'm really enjoying your games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Coupeau
France
Quimper
Breizh
flag msg tools
designer
Glad you like these games !!

Yes there will be an AiR3 (probably with 3 French battles in 1568-69). But before that, Vae Victis will publish next year 2-3 battles of Turenne (1650-58 Fronde period). Same system but will a few changes to match the time of the 30 years war.

And many other game projects in many different directions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.