Star Trek: The Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Command Station Offline Paradox--Resolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Vines
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
So, I've run into a bit of a problem. I've drawn two consecutive Station Offline Event Cards and rolled, in each instance, two consecutive COMs. In other words, both Com Stations are offline.

To resolve the Event, I need a COM and an ENG--but I can't deploy any COMs because both stations are offline.

To purchase the "Add two COM to any event," I need two COMs--but I can't deploy any COMs because both stations are offline.

The purchase the "Command Station" Dev card, I need three COM--but I can't deploy any COMs because both stations are offline.

Is this one of those unresolvable situations (which I am totally okay with, by the way), or is there a resolution to this seeming dead end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can spend three dice of any kind to make one of something else, so it can still be done, but it's going to be costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Vines
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I was under the impression that the combination if three still had to occupy an available crew station. Can that mechanic be used despite the stations available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose any three crew dice from other stations to act as a single COM.

If you need to lock them in, all three would have to be stacked on the space where the single COM would normally be placed.

(This is explained, with examples, in the paragraphs at the end of section "6. Crew Dice" in the rulebook.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Vines
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I feel like a dolt for misreading those instructions. I can think of at least two occasions in which I have not combined three to make another crew dice because I thought a corresponding station had to be open. Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.