Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This card states, in the parchment area below, that "As an action, you may play this card to collect 2 Silver."

Can this instead be used to satisfy an action's requirement for a colonist symbol? The card does not display the colonist symbol in the below area where all the other cards do but it implies another use in the wording "...you may...?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the "primary" ability is the colonist. But if it's just a dead card in your hand that you want to ditch, you can play it to collect 2 silver instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another situation we came across as well

Nothing in the rules mentioned this card having a colonist effect -- so we had to guess: yes

Would have been even better to have included a colonist symbol on the bottom tier of this card. Would have cleared up any confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tntpiper wrote:
Another situation we came across as well

Nothing in the rules mentioned this card having a colonist effect -- so we had to guess: yes

Would have been even better to have included a colonist symbol on the bottom tier of this card. Would have cleared up any confusion

Yeah, we guessed no, since the rules clearly say you use the icons in the parchment section of cards. OK. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as the card itself is like one big parchment with a giant colonist symbol....the same symbol that on page 4 of the rules state what it can be used for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
I see it as the card itself is like one big parchment with a giant colonist symbol....the same symbol that on page 4 of the rules state what it can be used for.

No other card is treated that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
mpappy wrote:

But this one is.

Of course, you are free to use whatever mnemonic you prefer to recall what the card does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
Edward J Grug III wrote:
mpappy wrote:

But this one is.

Seriously, what are you going for here?

We're letting the designer and publisher know that it is a bad decision to have a card that doesn't follow the standard they set up, not reference the exception in their rulebook.

It has clearly caused confusion, hence this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
We're letting the designer and publisher know that it is a bad decision to have a card that doesn't follow the standard they set up, not reference the exception in their rulebook.

It has clearly caused confusion, hence this thread.

Dan and I discussed this the other night. Assuming we do a 2nd printing of the game, we will change the card art to a full scene with colonists working, etc. and move the Colonist symbol to the ability box at the bottom of the card. I have created an example of this below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice

Crystal Clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I also need to understand it... The grey empire card 'colonist' can be used as a colonist icon or to collect 2 silver?!

So far okay... Do other cards in the grey empire deck have such a special functionality? Or is the colonist the only card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.