Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Philip
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hey BGG,

Deciding what games to buy is usually an arduous task for most people. Whether theres a restriction put on you by storage or finances, adopting a new cardboard family member can actually become a bit stressful. I dont know if its easier now a days because of the amount of reviewers out there or if its harder because of the sheer volume of games to choose from.

The question that I would like to pose to you is, when it comes to games of a similar theme or mechanic, how many of a like game do you allow yourself in your collection? Once you pickup a game thats similar to another in your collection, do you then choose between them and off load the runner up? I prefer my collection to be a vast assortment of boxed unique experiences and I find it hard to imagine to have two similar titles (with my budget at least).

There are a lot of games out there that "does it better" but I feel like thats just a matter of opinion in a lot of cases. For instance, I own Formula D and I enjoy it as a car racing game. Now im seeing a lot about Automobiles and Im forced to think about the idea of two car racing games in my collection. As much as I think that Automobiles would be a blast, is there room for both? This is just one of the many examples out there. Cyclades, Kemet and Inis is another predicament. Especially if you have one already. Hidden movement? well Specter Ops does it better. Or was it Fury of Dracula or Letters to White Chapel. No im positive its the classic Scotland yard.

What im after is to find out the process in which you use to determine which game stays and which game goes? Do you mind having all games of a similarity because you like those games? What other like games have you had to choose between? Also feel free to let me know your opinions on which games of these cliques are the superior choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is room for both, especially for two games as different as you use in your example.

While, I enjoy playing and owning different games that are similar, I'd say that if you don't want to own similar games, I would compare the mechanisms and not theme.

And i would agree that 'does it better' is very subjective. I read those geeklists X replaces Y, X does it better, etc. And often times find I disagree with entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just let the Carcassonne expansions and variants pile up and try not to think too much about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Philip
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Guantanamo wrote:
Yes there is room for both, especially for two games as different as you use in your example.

While, I enjoy playing and owning different games that are similar, I'd say that if you don't want to own similar games, I would compare the mechanisms and not theme.

And i would agree that 'does it better' is very subjective. I read those geeklists X replaces Y, X does it better, etc. And often times find I disagree with entries.

As much as I agree that comparing similar mechanisms is a good idea, I dont see why similar themes is any less important. I love to be immersed in the boardgame that im playing and even though Formula D and Automobiles both use very different mechanics, they both provide a very similar experience in that they are both car racing games. Theme always matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have these racing games:

Jamaica
Steampunk Rally
Road Kill Rally
RoboRally
RoadZters
Mille Bornes
Thunder Road

and I'd love to get Formula D and PitchCar.

They all are very different to me and I like playing them because they each fill a different niche. I haven't really gotten rid of any games because of overlap, but I guess I haven't picked up some games because I have something that fills a niche satisfactorily. For example, I haven't gotten Star Wars: Armada because I'm happy with Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game. Although if I had more time and money I'd happily have both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy theme too, but the feeling I get playing Automobiles is much closer to the feel of a game like salmon run then Formula De.

I guess my point is, don't discount a game just because similar theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my collection I have

Similar themes:
magic realm, talisman, mtg, heroes of graxia

Gearworld, spyrium

Space alert, galaxy trucker

Galaxy defenders, space hulk: DA

Axis and allies, asl
Similar mechanics:
Risk, axis and allies

(pretty sure thats it)

So, lots of overlapping themes, but magic realm and talisman dont come close to providing the same experience. The fantasy adventure theme is attractive, but I have friends and family who will happily play talisman, who would never touch magic realm. They are not redundant. You have to make your own determination for your collection of course. But, my one case of major.mechanical overlap means I will probably never play risk. A&A is a far better experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:

Great list Chris , I have played most of these and they all play differently despite the similar gaming fix they give.

Now we do not feel so bad about our dungeon crawl obsession as these games all give a different gaming experience somehow. Theme or replay ability or both?
Warhammer Quest
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game yes all 3
Super Dungeon Explore
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Myth
Will add two Sci-Fi ones
GunCrawl: A game of Close Quarters Havoc
Space Cadets: Away Missions
Must admit anyone not into racing games or dungeon crawls will look and think why not just have the one?
I suppose when your into something you just dive in and enjoy it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I think I'll want to play a game again then I'll keep it. If I'm realistically unlikely to play it then I should get rid of it (whether I get round to doing so is another matter).

Similar theme - absolutely no restrictions here, I wouldn't care if a new game had a similar theme to my existing games. My only reasons for not doing this might be if the theme was so similar that I ended up confusing things between the games, but I doubt that'd happen in reality. Also if there is a theme I like but I know someone I want to play games with doesn't then I'm less likely to buy any more games with that theme.

Similar game play - if I like a game then I'll probably like similar games. It might be that I decide that I like one more than the other possibly even to the point of only wanting to play one, but more likely I'll still want to play both. I suppose I am less likely to buy a game that has similar appeal to an existing game - If I'm going to get a new game I'll think about when & with who I'm going to play it. If the answer is that it's appeal is likely to be the same as one of my existing games that everyone is currently enjoying then I'm less likely to buy it straight away. There's a few games I haven't bought because I think they would compete with a specific game for plays - the two games aren't always that similar game play wise though. It depends on how much time I have to play that kind of game - I bought Pentago this year and whilst it's a quick x-in a row abstract like Connect Four the both get played lots as my children are currently enjoying them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the theme doesn't matter at all.

If there was 15 games with a Cowboy theme but they all had different mechanism involved in their gameplay and they all happened to be the best examples of those mechanisms, I have no problem becoming a cowboy 15 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I currently own Fury of Dracula (second edition) / Specter Ops / Letters from Whitechapel all hidden movement games.

For me it simply comes down to the amount of people playing.

Letters = 2 Player
Fury = 3-5 Player
Specter = 5 Player (it really needs the traitor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both Letters from Whitechapel and Nuns on the Run and love having both, but they kind of go in opposite directions for a hidden movement game. I definitely don't need to own Fury of Dracula, partly because I feel that LfW just does what I'm looking for a lot better and partly because I just don't enjoy most of what FoD does differently (namely the combat).

I have many racing games and would love to have more. If you love a type of game, you'll enjoy owning different variations.

I think it's when 2 games are very, very similar that you might choose you only need 1. For example, you probably don't need both the 1st and 2nd editions of games. You probably don't need collections of both X-Wing and ST Attack Wing (partly because of cost), although you could have one of these and Wings of War/Glory which is different enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I've been thinking about as well. For me, the biggest thing is which itch is scratched by them. I think that most of the times when I want to play Agricola, I would be just as happy playing Keyflower. They're pretty different games, though. But they do have a similar vibe.
A similar thing goes for Blood Rage and Cry Havoc. I'm considering picking up a copy of Cry Havoc. But I already own Blood Rage. Will that ever get played if I also grab CH? I don't know. CH sure looks better as a two-player game, though. Then again, having multiple options isn't bad, either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
I have deckbuilders:

- Ascension: Deckbuilding Game and all expansions to the newest
- Star Realms and all expansions
- Aeon's End
- Vikings Gone Wild
- Tanto Cuore
- Mystic Vale

To me they're all relevant.
- Ascension is the onanism game where you do everything you want or can.
- Star Realms is the "get that in the face" and occasional coop with almost no set-up
- Aeon's End is the brainy non random child for cooperation that beats the randomness of Sentinels of the Multiverse since you can't get screwed in the first turns
- Vikings Gone Wild is the game where there is stuff to do a-plenty and a mix between randomness and a fixed market
- Tanto Cuore is the most strategic game with negative player interaction of the bunch that won't see much play because art
- Hero Realms is the light coop and asymetric game that can adapt to pretty much any situation
- Mystic Vale is basically Ascension if it were correctly designed ninja (that's not a troll, it actually is how I feel about the game)

I would look into another deckbuilder if I thought it brought something to my collection from a design standpoint. As was the case for each one of the games I mentioned here past Ascension, which was my first deckbuilder.
It so happens that I don't like Star Realms', Hero Realms' and latest Ascension sets' artwork and theme. I love Aeon's End's theme. As for the others, I don't really care.
So theme is not exactly important. What is is that there is a game that favours skill but has random elements too. And that's it's fun. And that all the players can play, and not be stuck doing nothing because of bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think once you find the particular mechanics, game length, weight, etc you prefer, it is not too much to get multiple games in that zone.

For me, it is the 'building something' games
Catan
Alhambra
Castles of Mad King Ludwig

And short card games
Glory to Rome
Bohnanza
Love Letter
Archaeology: The Card Game
Sushi Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
I think once you find the particular mechanics, game length, weight, etc you prefer, it is not too much to get multiple games in that zone.

For me, it is the 'building something' games
Catan
Alhambra
Castles of Mad King Ludwig

And short card games
Glory to Rome
Bohnanza
Love Letter
Archaeology: The Card Game
Sushi Go!

Looks pretty different from one another to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I like playing the game? that's the only question that matters. if I have 2 different farmer themed tile laying games and I enjoy playing each of them, then I keep them. I don't need "1 of everything". I need what I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of theme I don't mind repeats, I actually do have favorite themes (age of sail)

In terms of mechanics I try to avoid repeats, and diversify my collection, even if this means passing on excellent games.

Of course in practice there are slips and repeats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference for theme are games that are about mb or mb.
The look, style, level and mechanics of each game are different though:
Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company semi cooperative
Camelot Legends card game- similar to a CCG/TCG or LCG
Camelot: The Court similar to Nothing Personal but easier
The Resistance: Avalon party game
Cry Havoc medieval combat wargame
Melee/Wizard easier than D&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.