Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played yesterday and there was a pact card that said Civ produces an extra ore. Thought that was strange as it did not say 1 ore, which made me believe that if you had a developed mine tech and a lower tech, say you had an iron mine and a developed, but not yet upgraded to coal, that the extra ore would allow you to produce that extra to store on the coal.

Anyone run into this? Is there a rule application I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An extra ore means you produce one more. I can't see any other way to interpret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Played yesterday and there was a pact card that said Civ produces an extra ore. Thought that was strange as it did not say 1 ore, which made me believe that if you had a developed mine tech and a lower tech, say you had an iron mine and a developed, but not yet upgraded to coal, that the extra ore would allow you to produce that extra to store on the coal.

Anyone run into this? Is there a rule application I'm missing?

If it meant anything other than 1 more resource, it would say something like transcontinental railroad does- "Your best mine produces an extra..." or similar wording.
Thus, you cannot produce a "coal" from an iron mine. You would produce your iron and get 1 resource on bronze (or one more, if you have other bronze mines)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small tip: put a red cube on the Bronze card to remind you during production that you have to put one more blue cube on the bronze card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

Thus, you cannot produce a "coal" from an iron mine. You would produce your iron and get 1 resource on bronze (or one more, if you have other bronze mines)

Actually, that's not how the rules work, at least on BGO. You can produce coal without a coal mine. You don't need a mine, only the technology that allows you to store ore resources there. For example, if you take 3 ore resources from foray, you would get 1 coal, not 3 bronze. If you have iron out, but no iron mine producing, you still get iron if an event produces 2 ore. Same goes for making change --it's based on having the technology card out that allows you to use it. So yes, you can have coal without a coal mine. I believe the distinction is ore. Ore is generic, whereas each technology is specific. Because the pact uses the term ore, it seems more likely it should be read that way.

Although several people have voiced an opinion (which I welcome), I haven't seen anything that clarifies that interpretation is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the game and just looked at the card. It says "1" followed by the ore symbol. That's pretty specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
tilouboy wrote:
I have the game and just looked at the card. It says "1" followed by the ore symbol. That's pretty specific.

You may be looking at the wrong card. There is a pact that produce one, but this card says "an extra", I believe. I'll pull out the game when I get a chance and post the exact wording.

Edit, found an image, it says an extra 1 ore. So yes the quantity is specified, using ore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

Actually, that's not how the rules work, at least on BGO. You can produce coal without a coal mine. You don't need a mine, only the technology that allows you to store ore resources there. For example, if you take 3 ore resources from foray, you would get 1 coal, not 3 bronze. If you have iron out, but no iron mine producing, you still get iron if an event produces 2 ore. Same goes for making change --it's based on having the technology card out that allows you to use it. So yes, you can have coal without a coal mine. I believe the distinction is ore. Ore is generic, whereas each technology is specific. Because the pact uses the term ore, it seems more likely it should be read that way.

Although several people have voiced an opinion (which I welcome), I haven't seen anything that clarifies that interpretation is correct.

I didn't say you couldn't produce a coal without a mine - that is a completely different question. I said an IRON cannot produce a COAL. The +1 from the pact doesn't increase a particular mine's production by 1; it gives you 1 resource (which, as it is 1 resource, MUST be a bronze)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

I didn't say you couldn't produce a coal without a mine - that is a completely different question. I said an IRON cannot produce a COAL. The +1 from the pact doesn't increase a particular mine's production by 1; it gives you 1 resource (which, as it is 1 resource, MUST be a bronze)

I don't find your opinion compelling. You're ignoring the word extra. 1 extra can fairly be interpreted either way. If you produce 1 ore, that's 1 ore. If you produce +1, that means you more than you would normally, for example 2 ore if you have a bronze mine. I gave an example of how you can use a mine tech card where you get resources, but don't have a mine there.

Mind you, I'm not saying I'm right or you're wrong about what the correct rule actually is, simply that producing 1 extra ore is, in my opinion, not 1, but +1. That's ambiguous, at least to me.

Thus far, the small sample of responses says that players are interpreting this as 1 bronze, so I've gained some information. I know there are folks involved with developing the game that read the message boards, so perhaps it will get a response confirming that interpretation, or someone who's had it happen on BGO will respond --I believe BGO has clarified a lot of finicky rules such as this with the developer. Or maybe it's never been explicitly handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Doesn't seem finicky to me either. Your iron mines produce blue tokens representing iron, and nothing about the pact can possibly upgrade the produced resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.