Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have a basic question about coordinate. Say I have a card with "coordinate" like the Browncoats. Can I play it on my turn to get the credits and/or combo effect? Or is it restricted to only being played on another player turn? My bet is on the first one, but I am asking just in case.

Bonus questions: What happens to a ship upgrade when you have to put a ship strike in its slot? How about vice versa?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play it on your own turn. You do not get to draw a card to replace it if you do so.

Incidentally, given Coordinate cards give the turn player the option to play a virtual duplicate of the Coordinate card, when you use someone else's Coordinate card, it is exactly the same as if you are playing a Coordinate from your hand.

As for the bonus question, they accidentally left out the rule that you discard an Upgrade if a Ship Strike would enter its space. The rules are clear that you can't purchase Upgrades when there are no slots for them to go into if there are no empty slots, you must discard an existing Upgrade to purchase a new Upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Atle Hegsvold
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A comment regarding the bonus question:
As Clipper mentioned it's not covered in the rules, but personally I like to put Ship Strikes on top of the Upgrades, disabling the Upgrades.
If a Ship Strike on top of an Upgrade gets repaired, the Upgrade is functional again. I think this works thematically.

For me it does not make thematic sense that any and all Ship Strikes would render any Upgrade damaged beyond repair.

Just my
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've received official confirmation that it was accidentally left out of the rulebook, and we should consider it errata to appear in the first FAQ, so that is definitely a house rule, though, Zodiac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
That also means that you can't upgrade a space if there's a Ship Strike on it, right?

I actually thought that a Serenity Upgrade should be discarded when a Ship Strike is being placed on that space. It hasn't been mentioned in the rules, but if a Ship Strike could be placed on a slot without discarding the Serenity Upgrade, I think that part would have been mentioned in the rules.

That said, I find the rules clear enough to play the game with 2 or more, but for single avatar solo play, the rules are a problem sometimes. This kind of situation isn't the only one I've had some trouble with. Not that I had to draw a single Ship Strike in my first single avatar solo game, though, because no ship enemy card ever made it to the Combat Zone.

Another problem I had was the co-ordinate cards. I understand I can discard one to draw another from my deck in a single avatar solo game, but does it also really count as coördinating it if I do so? If it does, can I still get the co-ordinate effect, or can that only be done in a multi avatar (solo) game? And do cards that give me an effect when I co-ordinate affect myself in a single character solo game?

Finally, why oh why wasn't the text between the ()s on cards in general printed in bold, while it often wasn't much less important to read? It was even hard to read. The mechanics are great, but this set really needs some clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
That also means that you can't upgrade a space if there's a Ship Strike on it, right?

If you had another Upgrade already, you could discard it to place a new upgrade in the slot. Upgrades will never replace Ship Strikes, though.

Quote:
Another problem I had was the co-ordinate cards. I understand I can discard one to draw another from my deck in a single avatar solo game, but does it also really count as coördinating it if I do so? If it does, can I still get the co-ordinate effect, or can that only be done in a multi avatar (solo) game? And do cards that give me an effect when I co-ordinate affect myself in a single character solo game?

The rule says you can discard a card with Coordinate to draw a different card. That isn't Coordinating with it. Thus, the effects shouldn't trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In (single avatar) solo play, you do have the option to discard one card with "coordinate" from your hand per turn and draw to replace it, but it does not provide you any benefit (as it was discarded, not played).

This is sort of a balancing mechanism, as when you are playing with just one player deck, your deck improves (via cards you recruit/gain) at a faster rate (compared to the number of Episode cards being added) than when playing multiplayer, thus it is generally easier.

However, I feel that missing out on the coordinate mechanism takes out some of the fun of the game, so when I'm playing solo, I usually play 2-4 different avatars/decks.

Also note that "coordinate" cards can always be played on your own turn, regardless of number of players/avatars, but in that case, you do not get to draw to replace them (until the cleanup phase when you normally draw your new hand) and you don't get any effects that depend on having coordinated them.
[example: Jayne's "Pain is Scary" provides you 2 Recruit if you play it normally, but if you Coordinate it to someone else, they get 2 Combat; Simon's "Safe on my Table" provides 1 Combat when you Coordinate it to someone else, and they can heal their lowest damage Crew Strike, but when you play it on your turn it only provides 1 Combat (no heal)]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I know Upgrades don't replace Ship Strikes, because the rules also say that you can only upgrade if the slot you want to upgrade is empty. But the thing I thought about vice versa, as in drawing Ship Strikes that cause Serenity Upgrades to be discarded, is just a guess.

By the way, Jay, what you said is ONLY the case when you play solo with a single avatar. The rules state that you should play by the rules for the number of players if you play with 2 or more avatars. Of course I don't mean the non-player avatars in the game here; just the ones you play with. So if you play solo with 2 avatars, you'll use the co-ordinate cards as in a normal 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I know Upgrades don't replace Ship Strikes, because the rules also say that you can only upgrade if the slot you want to upgrade is empty. But the thing I thought about vice versa, as in drawing Ship Strikes that cause Serenity Upgrades to be discarded, is just a guess.

Yes, there has been official word from Upper Deck and the game designers that if a Ship Strike is to be placed in a slot containing an Upgrade, the Upgrade is discarded.

It was inadvertantly omitted from the rulebook.

0616william wrote:
By the way, Jay, what you said is ONLY the case when you play solo with a single avatar. The rules state that you should play by the rules for the number of players if you play with 2 or more avatars. Of course I don't mean the non-player avatars in the game here; just the ones you play with. So if you play solo with 2 avatars, you'll use the co-ordinate cards as in a normal 2 player game.

True. The special solo rules only apply with one player deck/avatar.

One person can play a solo game with multiple decks/avatars, but the regular rules apply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.