Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
After all these years of meticulous organization, counting after a game, and careful storage I opened my copy of Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic to set it up for play and discovered...

I am missing one of my Canberra Jets!!!! angry angry cry cry

In 26 years of gaming I have never lost a single counter from a game!

And now this.

This was the last game I completed before my mother passed away last year.

I was kidding with my wife saying wouldn't be weird if the missing counter now suddenly showed up in the middle of playing...just go down one day to play and suddenly voila! there is the missing squadron tucked away in its base ninja

Anyway, thanks for lending me the (hopefully) sympathetic ear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: It finally happened!!!
You were extraordinary lucky never to loose a couter before now. Wow... Or... Perhpas you DID lose some more,but are not aware of it yet? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't make him lose sleep Carl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he can always check all his games if he isn't sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
I am missing one of my Canberra Jets!!!!

Good thing one was recently for sale

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/653051/Cold-War-nuclear-jet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I was setting up a large Last Chance for Victory scenario recently. It's the most expensive game I own, and it's in my favorite series, yet I've only had a chance to play a few scenarios so far. Anyway, so I was setting up the scenario and I realized that I was missing a Union Corps leader. I started going into panic mode. The previous scenarios I've played included that Corps, but not that leader (too small to require a Corps leader), so I probably dumped that Corps units on the table to look for the ones that I needed, and maybe that leader went AWOL. Maybe he's sitting now in the belly of some Roomba Beast, amidst dust and fuzzballs. I looked everywhere: behind radiators, in my pajama pockets, shaking down my body and clothes, under the table, under the edges of the map, etc. Finally I gave up and decided to just finish setting up, hoping that he would reveal himself to have been misplaced in the wrong baggie. Alas, with everything set up, nearly every unit in the game, I still couldn't find the guy. I was just about to head to bed, dejected and depressed, resigned to having to contact MMP to sheepishly ask for a replacement piece for my expensive, treasured game. Just then, on a whim, I picked up another leader unit who wasn't in play. And goddammit if the leader I needed wasn't printed on the reverse of this one. I delicately put him atop his stack and went to bed utterly relieved and a bit exhausted.

Morale of the story -- I haven't played your game but, as a quick sanity check: is it possible that the unit you're looking for is on the flipside of a different unit or is otherwise hidden in plain sight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
. I delicately put him atop his stack and went to bed utterly relieved and a bit exhausted.

I half expected this story to end with "... but when I got up the next morning I discovered the cat had managed to get in and utterly destroyed the game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
I was setting up a large Last Chance for Victory scenario recently. It's the most expensive game I own, and it's in my favorite series, yet I've only had a chance to play a few scenarios so far. Anyway, so I was setting up the scenario and I realized that I was missing a Union Corps leader. I started going into panic mode. The previous scenarios I've played included that Corps, but not that leader (too small to require a Corps leader), so I probably dumped that Corps units on the table to look for the ones that I needed, and maybe that leader went AWOL. Maybe he's sitting now in the belly of some Roomba Beast, amidst dust and fuzzballs. I looked everywhere: behind radiators, in my pajama pockets, shaking down my body and clothes, under the table, under the edges of the map, etc. Finally I gave up and decided to just finish setting up, hoping that he would reveal himself to have been misplaced in the wrong baggie. Alas, with everything set up, nearly every unit in the game, I still couldn't find the guy. I was just about to head to bed, dejected and depressed, resigned to having to contact MMP to sheepishly ask for a replacement piece for my expensive, treasured game. Just then, on a whim, I picked up another leader unit who wasn't in play. And goddammit if the leader I needed wasn't printed on the reverse of this one. I delicately put him atop his stack and went to bed utterly relieved and a bit exhausted.

Morale of the story -- I haven't played your game but, as a quick sanity check: is it possible that the unit you're looking for is on the flipside of a different unit or is otherwise hidden in plain sight?

The unit counters in WTID have combat ability information on the back so alas that is not the answer. I have not played this copy of the game since January 2014 so I went back and checked my BGG play archives to see what other games I played around that time thinking maybe the Canberra wandered its way into one of those boxes. Sadly, not the case. So my search goes on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the missing counter!! thumbsup

I sat down and got ready to play the game this morning. Sighing at the loss of my Canberra unit, I prepared for play by pushing the game board toward the top of the table so I'd more room for dice.

And after pushing the board I noticed a light blue strip suddenly materialize at the bottom.

And there was the Canberra unit!

Happy days! Still, I have to wonder because I did look along the edge of the board before.... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently spent 4 months hunting for a missing tile in Time Of Soccer that ended up never existing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Milner
Australia
Brunswick
Victoria
flag msg tools
It's the happiest anyone has ever been to see Canberra!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Somebody
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
"Where there is discord over a missing counter, let me find piece (sic) again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG, OCD nightmare this thread is...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost Hood from Gettysburg '88, I discovered last week.
Ye Gods! Freak! Freak!
I fashioned an unattractive substitute from from counter residue.
Sob! Sob!
But Hood takes his time showing up, anyway...
Figuring out the 'value' of the reverse side took some research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:

I sat down and got ready to play the game this morning. Sighing at the loss of my Canberra unit, I prepared for play by pushing the game board toward the top of the table so I'd more room for dice.

And after pushing the board I noticed a light blue strip suddenly materialize at the bottom.

Happy days! Still, I have to wonder because I did look along the edge of the board before.... ninja

Sounds like your wife is messing with you. Mine moves around my counters of games I have set up.

Glad you found your counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:

Sounds like the old trick of a cheater hiding the best card or the last puzzle piece under the table. Someone is not playing fair!

Of course, it's a solitaire game, so I think we all know who the culprit is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost an entire Soviet army from my first copy of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. It was only a 1-3 infantry but still--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
catosulla wrote:

Sounds like the old trick of a cheater hiding the best card or the last puzzle piece under the table. Someone is not playing fair!

Of course, it's a solitaire game, so I think we all know who the culprit is...

You might have a point if the it was an Exocet Missile but a Canberra?!!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought a used game that arrived in the envelope package. I emptied and shelved the contents and put the envelope into my recycling box. After the recycling box had been emptied by the city, I discovered that all of the counter sheets were not on the shelf and missing. Eventually I realized that the counter sheets had fallen out of the envelope when I put it in the recycling and had fallen down behind the box. They were still there! Phew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergeant Grey
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you one and all! This thread, did in fact, make me laugh out loud. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you found it! I've mostly had to make replacement counters for games I got in trade, and that weren't carefully inventoried by the previous owner. When I got Roads to Gettysburg, there were three counters that looked like they had been in someone's pocket and then went through the washing machine. Only one of them was critical, and I made a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:

I share your joy. The other day, as I was leaving my wargame table, an object stuck to my sock. It was a piece from the previous game I had played, which ended up on the rug & not in the box. And it was unharmed! (Well, it does represent a whole bunch of Headquarters type personnel, who as everyone knows are more fragile than the soldiers who actually have to do the fighting. But since it's a piece of cardboard I should probably say it was undamaged).

So I had the joy of finding a key piece to a game, without having experienced the anguish of having first discovered it missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer of this game is a few counters short of a manifest himself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded for a copy of AH Arab Israeli Wars and upon receiving the game, found it to be missing some tanks needed for the very first scenario! Before discovering the availability of wonderfully reprinted (and recolored) counters available for the old AH classics, I ended up buying another used copy of the game on Ebay, which was complete. Now I have more counters for the game than I really know what to do with, but I am not missing any, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several months ago I was setting up a scenario for The Great Battles of Alexander: Macedonian Art of War when I dropped a bag holding the tribal counters. After picking up the scattered pieces I saw that one was missing. I tore the local area apart looking for the counter, but to no avail. After an hour or two of searching I gave up and used an Indian unit that was mechanically identical to the missing piece. It was then that I stumbled across the lost unit clear on the other side of the room, far out of range and line of sight of the spread of dropped counters! I was relieved to find the piece but now I'm questioning the fabric of reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.