Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some confusion and got clarification from the publisher.

There have been three editions, one of which is no longer produced.

What we might call the "Original" Edition was in a wooden box that folded out to reveal the playing board on its inside surface. This edition had metal cars and tin sheets printed for resource tracking. It did not have the custom cards now found in Bookshelf and Discovery editions. It is no longer produced.

The Bookshelf Edition is also a wooden case, but the case has a book-shaped construction. It has metal cars. The playing board is a standard game construction.

The Discovery Edition is a cardboard box. Cars are plastic. Standard game board construction.

The Bookshelf Edition and the Discovery Edition share the instrument panel-shaped accessory for resource tracking, which is considerably different from the accessory used for this purpose in the Original Edition.

I am told the graphics on the playing boards are slightly different for Bookshelf and Discovery. I might suspect this means the pictures in the corners, but I cannot see a difference on the publisher's web site. There should be no difference in the track layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. This gives some clarification which doesn't seem to be readily available elsewhere, including the publisher's website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony siegle
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically it is almost a year to the date of your Raceway 57 posting and I just won a copy of the "Original" Raceway 57 game on EBAY. It was due to your wonderful definition of this game that allows me to think I did, in fact, win the "Original" edition thanks to your enlightening and thorough information. It seems to be the far superior and rarer edition of this game and counterbalances some of the more negative reviews. The game components alone make it worth the $25.

Thanks for taking the time to write it and it still helps, even a year later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockytony wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write it and it still helps, even a year later.
Simply a matter of posting information that I too would have wished to know before my purchase. That's how BGG works.

During the past year others have announced finding the Original version still hanging around at Tuesday Morning. I even got my own that way back just before the New Year. Don't be discouraged if I say that I paid considerably less than your $25, in a close-out sale. It also cost me time and travel to visit five other outlets in the metropolitan area besides the usual one close by home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
"Original" Edition ... did not have the custom cards now found in Bookshelf and Discovery editions.
Reading that again today I see that statement may not make it entirely clear that the card deck with Original was just a standard playing deck of 52. Cars may be moved according to the number shown, with face cards treated as 10. Aces are played instead of reducing a resource count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Discovery edition. The cars are a very thick, soft plastic that feels rubbery. The custom cards, with various effects, seem more interesting than just using a regular deck of numbered cards would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years later and still an invaluable little resource.

Just the sort of the thing I come to BGG for.

I'll be documenting my "Original" edition w/ some photographs today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
Several years later and still an invaluable little resource.

Geesh, was this that long ago? Time should not pass this quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hall
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"...This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent."-- John 6:29
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This edition had metal cars and tin sheets printed for resource tracking.

And still more years later: I needed this information because my rules state that there are magnetic markers used for the resource tracking, yet the game comes with dashboard dials for that purpose.

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have all three editions. I really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.