$20.00
Fox Reinard
msg tools
After reading and re-reading over this encounter, it has an anomaly from my previous experience. Namely that it has a Unique search token placement but only one possible spot it can be. What is the point of making it a Unique search token instead of an Objective token for this encounter? In all other quests I have seen with a Unique search token the possible spots are at least two. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grisman
England
flag msg tools
There are a few differences between Search tokens and Objective tokens - namely, the things that can be done to a search token or when a hero performs a Search action, such as a Shadow Walker using Dark Servant to save time nabbing the token, or the OL playing Poison Dart.

Aside from that - I read the setup for that quest quickly, it doesn't specifically state the unique search token has to be placed on a spot marked with the *. It's possible (I'd have to check other quests to be more comfortable) the star just indicates there will be an extra search token, and the unique token would be placed randomly along with the other tokens. Though if that were the case it would be easier to label that spot with a 2 and state to include the unique token in placed search tokens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Basic quest setup rules (D2e Quest Guide) state that the unique search token goes into one of the spaces marked with a *. The * spaces always count as "2" with a rare quest adding actual "2" spaces along with a few marked "*".

Mostly I was hoping someone with experience in playing the quest had some insight about why it is set up that way, or I was overlooking some important detail in the quest itself. Thank you for replying regardless.

I get hung up on rules weirdness sometimes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grisman
England
flag msg tools
Damn, that's my fault, sorry - too much RTL lately ^^;
(I knew I'd seen something somewhere but thought it was stated in each quest/encounter )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this quest and I guess both of you are correct. This quest features indeed a unique search token on excactly one spot, point being that scouts can often use certain skills to use less resources to obtain search tokens. (Of course they could've used an objective token and write special rules that it behaves just like a search token and can be targeted by skills that... but why wouldn't they just use a search token instead then?)

A prime example is the shadow walker who could even summon the shadow soul through the elevation line and obtain the key very easily.

If you haven't got such skills, this quest becomes much harder making it the perfect quest to choose by the heroes if they have covered that area and vice versa a good way for the OL to punish heroes who didn't.

I hadn't picked that skill and I remember that quest being quite hard on the heroes and I think they lost it yet it was kind of close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.