Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Golyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my band: Oak Pantheon
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't quite played a game yet, still reading up on the rules and watching the videos. However, one of the Joust videos has really thrown me off. Can somebody explain to me how Player 1 won this Joust as demonstrated in the video?

Video link: https://vimeo.com/134823538

From what I see here, this is a tie that would need to be resolved.

Player 1 has a 2-of-a-kind Prince, 1 Vassal Joust hand:
-1 Prince
-1 Vassal
-1 Champion (as Prince)

Player 2 also has a 2-of-a-kind Prince, 1 Vassal Joust hand:
-2 Prince
-1 Vassal

Is this a mistake in the video or am I misinterpreting the rules of Jousts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fast
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't (really) played a game either, but FWIW the rules do say this:

Quote:
Ties are resolved with a separate round of "high card wins" between those Earls who tied in the original competition. Repeat the "high card wins" until a victor is determined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Golyer
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my band: Oak Pantheon
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know. But the video said Player 1 outright won without needing to go to a tie breaking sudden death round. Other videos on Jousting do demonstrate when this happens, but this did not, thus implying no sudden death was needed. Which leads to my original question: is the video in error or am I understanding the rules incorrectly and counting the cards in this scenario wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a tie to me too. I had thought maybe the 'champion' was in fact a 'no luck' card but it isn't, and a wild champion is considered to have the same value as a natural prince (or vassal), so the hand on the right is in no way inferior to the one on the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ortus Regni
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

Yup, as shown that was a tie. Since the Champion is a Prince in this scenario. So both sides have 2 Princes, and high card Vassal. Should be shown as a tie.

Looks like that was a editing error with the video team. I believe the raw footage showed a tie breaking single card face off (as discussed above here) but was edited out in the finishing stages. Probably as we were shortening and simplifying the vids. Oops

Good catch and we'll try to go back and correct that. Hopefully we still have the raw footage (gulp).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.