Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mb
The rules for Wilderness Movement are quite clear: having an expedition consisting entirely of Indian forces and Indian leaders gives you a +1 on the die roll.

But on the CRT, it says an "all-Indian Expedition" receives a -2 DRM when attacking a fort. Does that mean when all the Strength Points are Indians, or when both Strength Points and Leaders are Indians?

In the game I played yesterday, I was very slow to attack an American fort at Prairie-du-Chien (after the opponent played Indian Nation when Ghent was drawing nigh) since my nearest expedition was all Indian...but led by John Sherbrooke! I didn't actually launch the assault until I added artillery to the expedition, making it no longer "all Indian"...or so I thought.

Was it not actually "all Indian" to begin with, due to the leadership of John Sherbrooke? I hope I haven't been playing this wrong all these years!

Thanks muchly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you haven't been playing it wrong! Everything that you write here is correct. The -2 DRM applies to Expeditions with all Strength Points that are Indians, regardless of their leadership. The original intention was to have the Expedition leavened with some Rangers or Voyageurs, but Artillery works too! (Although, if the Artillery is placed in a Wilderness Location, it can not move for the remainder of the game.)

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mb
KMcPartland wrote:
...if the Artillery is placed in a Wilderness Location, it can not move for the remainder of the game.

Oh, no: I totally clued out on that one. Artillery ain't a light unit! There's no way I could have moved it from Fort Dearborn to Prairie-du-Chien!

Now: how will I explain this little error of mine to Tom....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Artillery ain't a light unit!

The fact that the counter is square (not round) should have been a clue...

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KMcPartland wrote:
amacleod wrote:
Artillery ain't a light unit!

The fact that the counter is square (not round) should have been a clue...

Kevin

That fact only occurred to me when, after reading your first response, I was pondering, "Now why couldn't you move Artillery in the Wilderness? Where's that in the rules? Ooohh......"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it certainly is an unusual situation. The "Artillery" card does not stop you from placing the artillery unit in the Wilderness... but the Wilderness Movement rules stop you from moving it!

This does work as a simulation- playing the "Artillery" card in this way represents a herculean effort getting some cannon up a wilderness route to attack a fort. But then the only way you're going to be able to repeat that huge effort is to play the "Artillery" card again!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.