1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you smell your games? If so, which games smell the best to you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I know it's an unusual question. But besides board games, I was raised around lots of books. I came to realize many books smell differently based on the paper used and the ink. It's the same with board games and CCGs.
Some have a very noticeable smell, others barely register a scent.
Personally, I love the smell of Firefly: The Game and Star Wars Customizable Card Game. I miss opening the new booster packs and being overwhelmed by the scent.
And when I open up a classic game that I've owned for years, like Stratego or Pachisi, it is the smell in particular that takes me back to my childhood.
So who else does this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fragrances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe it has been eight years,
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/33549/smell-games

I've got somewhat out of practice. Recently I smelled one that I swore was printed in Europe and it turned out to be made in China. Things are changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the smell of the Stone Age dice cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
I was raised with books, thousands of them. From the earliest age that I can remember, I have loved to smell them. I will not open a new book (or an old one, for that matter) to this day without thumbing the pages for a long, deep sniff before I start reading. That said, the experience is exactly the same with games, though to a lesser extent since not all components have the scents of ink and paper that I love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do rather enjoy that new game smell. But the best has got to be probably The Voyages of Marco Polo. You can smell the air of west asia just by taking a deep whiff of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon (third edition) by a long mile! After all these years that magical scent hasn't abated one bit!

Nothing on Earth actually beats the smell of a freshly mimeographed paper..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scythe Minis smell like vanilla, YUM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like the smell of card games. That nice, fresh cardboardy smell... there's just something about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I love the smell of the Stone Age dice cup.

This made me laugh out loud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guatemala Café came with a little bag of coffee beans, so it smelled very good.

At least one glow-in-the-dark (first) version of Nexus Ops positively reeked. I don't know what the issue was, but the game was nearly unplayable. I had to step away from the game frequently to breathe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
The Scythe Minis smell like vanilla, YUM.

Oooh! I will have to investigate this the next time I see someone playing this game.

*walking past table, stops to pick up a mini*
SNIFFFFFF
"Huh. It DOES smell like vanilla!"
*puts mini back down and walks away*

*weird looks from gamers*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do still have fond memories of opening and smelling my first few starter Magic packs I bought in 1993 after waiting each time in a long line at the FLGS before the newly arrive box quickly sold out. But it also reminds me of paint thinner-sniffing or glue-sniffing addicts.

If you're smelling something from your new game, it's probably not a good thing for your body. Now paint and chemical manufacturers add vanilla and other non-toxic (hopefully) scents to mask the strong smell of toxic VOCs we don't know we are inhaling, so we're happy, buy more paint, and forget to keep the area well ventilated. Thanks chemical companies! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Ryan Keane wrote:
I do still have fond memories of opening and smelling my first few starter Magic packs I bought in 1993 after waiting each time in a long line at the FLGS before the newly arrive box quickly sold out. But it also reminds me of paint thinner-sniffing or glue-sniffing addicts.

If you're smelling something from your new game, it's probably not a good thing for your body. Now paint and chemical manufacturers add vanilla and other non-toxic (hopefully) scents to mask the strong smell of toxic VOCs we don't know we are inhaling, so we're happy, buy more paint, and forget to keep the area well ventilated. Thanks chemical companies! angry

So that explains why I lose so much.... *SNIFFFFFF*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first edition copy of Homesteaders which apparently got wet before I obtained it smells like my grandmother's basement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I'll never forget the smell of the first MtG starter deck I opened (bought at a Hallmark store in the mall).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freshly opened Magic The Gathering packs! If it was a cologne I'd buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos
Spain
Gijón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Tales of The Arabian Nights smells like a schoolbook.

- Tail Feathers and Scythe minis smell sweetie (I don't like it).

- I couldn't say which is my favourite boardgame smell, for example Earth Reborn smells very well.

From time to time, I use to open boardgames that I haven't played for a long time, and smell it laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, man, yeah the smell of a freshly opened pack of Star Wars CCG back in the day was like a drug. Actually, I wonder if there were any chemicals that were affecting my brain at the time. Maybe that's why I spent so much money on it...

These days, the smell of a new FFG game always gets my blood pumping. Sadly I may not get to smell that scent again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a used bookstore I frequent that smells like old paper (silverfish?) and I enjoy that.

My heroclix and DDM collections smell plastickey when shut up for a bit. My copies of Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game and Nexus Ops (reprint) both had funky fumes from the minis and that weird slick cardstock Flying Frog used.

That part not so nice but we like to makes fumes jokes about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You people are weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
All my games smell best. I got rid of/replaced the few that got mildewed some years back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
You people are weird.

You've been on BGG for at least around 4 years and you're just noticing this now?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
digital_pariah wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
You people are weird.

You've been on BGG for at least around 4 years and you're just noticing this now?!?
No, I've known for a long time, but it bears repeating on a frequent basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Point Games' laser cut counters smell up the room when you first open the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.