BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Quebec

Subject: Looking for Montreal Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm new to Montreal and near the downtown and over by McGill. Where is a good place to game?

Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Kirk,

We have a group that meet twice a month, 1st & 3rd Saturday, at Concordia University. Starts at 13h but a few come in earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/montreal.boardgames/?ref=ts&...

Just had a meet yesterday, next one is on the 17th.

We are usually between 6 and 15 players, some bring games but it's not required.

Nick 'The Prophet'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a regular meeting, bi monthly basically (1st and 3rd Saturdays of a month), that I attend at Concordia University. It's free it costs nothing to go to. We meet on the 7th floor of the Hall building. We're not connected to the University and use it like just as a public space. There is plenty of tables with lots of space. We're getting to be a fairly large group and growing since starting to organize on Facebook. The group is called "Montreal Boardgames (at Concordia)". If you have trouble finding the group on Facebook let me know and I'll try to help.

There is another group on meetup.com that meets at Face To Face Games but I've never been to it. But I've been there on nights that they play because I play Magic The Gathering there on the same night. It's a small group. I don't really understand why they don't just come to our group but whatever.

edit, the person above me is talking about the same group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
I'll join the group and see how it goes. Currently "Pending".

What sorts of games do you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play all sorts of games really. a lot of eurogames but there are people who enjoy "ameritrash" games as well. recently we played Cthulhu wars and this past weekend we played Tiner's Trail. we also play dexterity games, like games sort of like Jenga. Some of us like 18XX games but they tend to start earlier in the morning. there are also some war-game fans. So like all sorts of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
The Concordia group is closer to you geographically and free and I'm sure they're nice folks.

The group Hovercraft keeps belittling (this is the 3rd or 4th time I've read him disparaging the group) can be found on Meetup at this link: http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Tabletop-Game-Network/

They play at Face a Face games in Verdun (3 blocks from de L'Eglise metro) on Tuesday nights and at Gamer's Vault in St. Laurent on Saturdays (3 blocks from the Cote-Vertu metro station).

You can read the comments on their Meetup page to get a sense of what they play and how many folks attend. Joining the group is free (so you can read the comments) but they do charge for attendance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry at least I mentioned them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
There is another group on meetup.com that meets at Face To Face Games but I've never been to it. But I've been there on nights that they play because I play Magic The Gathering there on the same night. It's a small group. I don't really understand why they don't just come to our group but whatever.

As a member of the group you're taking about, you're wrong. Tuesdays, we generally have at least 10-12 members attending, often more.

In addition to meeting every Tuesday at Face A Face, we also meet every Saturday all day at Gamers Vault. We're rarely under 15-20 for the weekend meetups.

So, one reason we don't just come to your group is that our group meets up far more often (9-10 times a month). The other reason is that you're constantly disparaging us on BGG for no reason, which leads me to believe that you're probably not that much fun to game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:

I think each group has their pros and cons. As far as I can tell, both groups are around the same size, with turnouts on Saturdays that are about equal.

While both groups engage in some Cult of the New, the Concordia group is more likely to play older classics (18XX would be a good example), which makes sense as many of their members have been playing board games for far longer than in the meetup group.

The meetup group meets more often, with meetups every Tuesday and every Saturday, as opposed to twice a month for the Concordia group.

The Concordia group is free as opposed to the meetup group which charges two dollars per event.

The Concordia group meets as a central location (Concordia), while the meetup group meets further out (Verdun and Ville St-Laurent).

The Concordia group meets in a cafeteria, so I know that some members of the meetup group have complained that the tables aren't as sturdy or as spacious as what you might find in a game shop.

On the other hand, the cafeteria is closed, so there is no sense of guilt at eating your own food and drink instead of what is offered by the shop (that might be my own overactive sense of guilt at play, maybe no one else ever feels guilty for bringing their own food and drink to game shops).

Both groups are pretty much sausage fests, where it is rare that women would account for even twenty percent of the people who show up to play and it isn't unusual for that number to be zero percent (if this is an issue, then I've noticed that Le Récréation (http://larecreation.ca/) is a far better place to go, either on Sundays or Wednesdays (I was there last Friday and it was dead, so I could not recommend going on a Friday and hoping to play with strangers)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving my opinion on a group is not disparaging.

and $2 a session adds up. that's $8 a month if you go every week

I'm just saying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To everyone

If you want to post about the groups you know in Montreal to help a fellow gamer in need, go right ahead...

but please...

Leave your personal conflicts out of it.

Thank you.

Nick 'The Prophet'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry Nicolas all I did was give my opinion

I find their comments berating me unacceptable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to attend the meetup group sometime and am a member of it online and didn't mean to disparage it

I hope I am still welcome to attend it in the future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:

Both groups are pretty much sausage fests, where it is rare that women would account for even twenty percent of the people who show up to play and it isn't unusual for that number to be zero percent (if this is an issue, then I've noticed that Le Récréation (http://larecreation.ca/) is a far better place to go, either on Sundays or Wednesdays (I was there last Friday and it was dead, so I could not recommend going on a Friday and hoping to play with strangers)).

It's true that women are in smaller numbers than men at our meet ups, but we have women attending meetupsession just about every session now. We have two women who attend every week, and several more who make it out semi-regularly.

We make sure the group is very inclusive.

Hovercraft wrote:

I don't think I've berated you, and I apologize if it came across that way. This is the third thread I've seen where you say our group is much smaller than it actually is. The last time, you did it after I suggested your group to someone.

I think each group has plenty to offer. For people who are looking for a free occasional session, the Concordia group is excellent. For people who don't mind spending a couple of bucks and want to meet up more regularly, the Meetup group is also a great choice.

Let's focus more on encouraging more gaming, that's all I really care about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent McLennan
Canada
MONTREAL OUEST
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
sorry Nicolas all I did was give my opinion

Daniel Gill...

Please refer to the identical private message I sent you on both BGG and Facebook. Your previous criticisms about our group, at least three that I can find so far, are unwarranted and your comments are not cool at all. Anyone who has already attended our events or has been a Meetup admin would understand that the 2$ we ask for when members attend offsets fees that add up to $240 a year. We don't profit from the money we collect.

Members actually feel good about investing in the group as they know that they have plenty of choice for events to attend. At least 8 times a month our members can enjoy gaming for at least 3 hours and as long as 9 hours. If our members are available early on Tuesdays they can play for as long as Jeux Face a Face stays open. Most of the time there are members who arrive before most of the competitive Magic players do. From 4/5pm until almost 10pm means the Tuesday event could last up to 5 hours on a weeknight. Not a bad deal for the $2 investment, right? Even more so when you think that at least half of the attendees come with no games in hand and have never played the majority of the games that make it to the table. We teach a lot of games and we do so because we love the hobby and want to encourage other gamers to join us.

Those are the facts. We have no need to put down other gaming groups because it's useless and unproductive. We serve the local gaming community and welcome gamers of all experience levels, men or women, young or old.

Thanks.

Brent
(Founder, Montreal Tabletop Game Network)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
I'll try various groups to see which ones I like. I'm a friendly and easy-going guy who likes games and having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey Kirk,

I played with people from both those groups, you can't go wrong with either and game wise the two groups are very similar. In general Montreal gamers are very welcoming. Hope to see you at a future meetup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
kdborg wrote:
I'll try various groups to see which ones I like. I'm a friendly and easy-going guy who likes games and having fun.

The comments here would lead you to believe we're not friendly, but we are! (Mostly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jahchan
msg tools
Hello,

I am in Montreal in the plateau near mcgill looking for other students to create a game of thrones the board game gaming group.

Hit me up if you're interested, of course we should meet before we play we can go to pub randolphe and play something less hardcore and shorter than GOT the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent McLennan
Canada
MONTREAL OUEST
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello John,

We've considered adding a Game of Thrones: The Board Game event to our gaming group's calendar on Meetup.com, but realistically it doesn't make sense to schedule it more than once every two months. We play so many other great games and run other features for specific game designers and types of game mechanics that having a specific game on a monthly or more frequent basis might actually kill interest in it.

If you want us to set specific Saturday events over the next few months as AGoT features I'm sure we would get a full player count. Just reply in this thread, PM me or head over to our Meetup group to stay in contact. www.meetup.com/Montreal-Tabletop-Game-Network

And you're quite right about Pub Randolph. It's not the right venue to play a long and heavy game like Game of Thrones. It's more suited to venues that are quieter, have the table space and that don't mind the long playing time. That means in a private home or at a spot like La Récréation or L'Abyss. For the cost of a few cups of tea/coffee, other tasty beverage or some food you can play for as long as you want in a relaxed environment.

Cheers,

Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kirk

try the Stack Academie events, they're usually multi-day events held at hotels. They happen fairly regularly, maybe like one every few months

https://www.facebook.com/groups/160960317283422/

next one in may i think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next Stack Academie is the 3 days convention. May 5-7. Please note the FB page is private, so you are required to ask permission to read it all. Note we are not so picky as there are 700+ members

As far as gaming anything goes. There was a bias towards wargames, the trend is more going towards heavy euro games. On the next Convention, there will be at least two tournaments, Thunder Alley and Combat Commander.

Any questions, just shoot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you in Germany now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwebec wrote:
you in Germany now?

haha yes! for two years, then I come back to Canada...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris King
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Big fan of Werewolf and One Night Ultimate Werewolf, do the groups play these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.