Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I couldn't wait to play this game as it conjured huge waves of nostalgia - especially as it related to drawing dungeons by hand. It also solved a huge issue for we which is that I play games solo so hadn't played anything like DND in years!

Thorax the Warrior, Voleur the Rogue, Swami the Cleric and Mago the Wizard walked into a dungeon...

1) As soon as the doors opened they encountered 5 centipedes that they attacked immediately. Thorax killed 2 with his sword, Voleur killed 1 short sword, Mago killed 1 with his wizard staff and Swami killed 1 with his mace. Swami also managed a save against poison! No treasure was found.

2) They then encounter 4 goblins. Thorax killed 2, Swami killed 1 and the last one ran away! Only 1 gp was found and given to Thorax to thank him for killing the most monsters...

3) One scary troll was then encountered! All the intrepid adventurers were worried about it being a level 5 and his regeneration powers!!! Mago decided to save his spells for later and swung his wizard staff and killed the troll in one fell swoop! Voleur then proceeded in cutting his head off in order to forestall and regeneration. Wow! That was incredible. Swami and Thorax didn't even have a chance to participate. They just watched stunned. Not only was it a quick fight but they found a piece of jewelry worth 130gp! At first it went to Mago but then the party decided to give it to Thorax for safekeeping because he had more life points.

4) The party opened the door, saw 5 vampire frogs and immediately closed the door. Too much going on in there...

5) Empty corridor without any apparent secret doors...

6) 6 hobgoblins occupied the next room. Everyone participated in the fight and the party won yet suffered some wounds. I think Voleur got wounded and perhaps Mago... Treasure: 1 gem worth 15gp.

7) Weird monster! A chimera! And on a roll of 6 it ended up being the first and last boss monster! A level 5 chimera with 7 life points and 4 attacks! Yikes! Mago had saved all his spells for this moment... and cast a sleep spell - which failed. Swami hit (6)! Chimera breathed fire and only Thorax saved! Everyone one else got wounded. Mago hits with his fireball (5)! Swami attacked again but rolled a 1. Thorax hit again (4). Mago got wounded but then in revenge cast a lightning bolt and hit (3)! Swami hit again (2). Mago got his again with 1 life point remaining! Thorax got his but hits back (1). Swami got hit but in response killed the chimera. Yes! I forgot to record the use of bandages before entering room 7 and the use of 2 healing spells during the fight. Magic items were found! A potion of healing and fools gold. Not very exciting but could be very handy. Mago tried to level up but failed on a roll of 1! Nooooo!

On the way out of the dungeon, the party got ambushed by 12 vampire bats in the corridor #5. The party decided it was not worth fighting so made a fighting withdrawal after Mago got wounded.

Then the team made it out of the dungeon without other surprises.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
+ Inexpensive game!
+ Nostalgia due to map drawing and DND red box feel
+ Feels like DND
+ Rules make a lot of sense and the table of contents is amazingly useful
+ Can't wait to play again
+ Lots of variability due to random dungeon and monster generation
+ Many decisions such as when to use spells and healings... Marching order... Attack or withdraw...
+ Excitement of dice rolls
+ Good narrative

- More rules than expected
- First game took a long time because I had to refer to the rules a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this up based on all the listings here.
(Yeah, "Abandon all hope ye who enter here"
and all that...) and am looking forward to playing it probably this coming weekend.

The game only uses D6 right? So, what's the D4 in your image for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the D4 when I needed to pick an adventurer at random. And I was itching to use some of my old dnd dice

Can't wait to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
I used the D4 when I needed to pick an adventurer at random.

Same here: I roll the d4 along with the d6 defense roll when a random character is attacked in rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small dungeon. Did you check it carefully for secret doors?
Don't forget your 10 foot pole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret doors only potentially come upin empty rooms, right? The party only checked for them in corridor 5 and there was nothing.

Also, the weird monster came up in room 5 and I rolled a 6 so it was the final boss monster - hence the small dungeon. The party was pretty beat up so they turned around and exited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.