Subject: Buying worn copies as parts back-ups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any of you buy older OOP games that might be rather worn(but cheaper) but have all or almost all the pieces simply to use them as back up pieces in case you have lost parts from your original copy?

Thanks,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, the price of OOP games is too high for that to be practical. At least, it is for the games that I would play that much to need back-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope - I make new pieces myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how did something happen.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've picked up incomplete copies at low prices sometimes but more frequently have purchased a lot of games (like an auction lot) and found them to be incomplete, have extra pieces, have the wrong pieces, etc. And/or purchased darn near any wargame off eBay that was listed as "complete" - I avoid the ones listed as "looks complete".

So I just keep a sorted stash of miscellaneous parts for games and every now and then dig for something I find has gone missing.

For a long time I've wondered why some kind soul hasn't created a "Missing Parts Bank" or at least a "Missing Counter Bank" which would take up MUCH less space. BGG's spare parts list is as close as there is to such a thing but you're at the mercy of someone reading your Want/Need post.

BGG has been helpful in finding replacements but if you can find high resolution scans that have been done well it's very easy to make single-sided counters other than finding cardboard or chipboard the right thickness to match the old counters. Double-sided counters are more of a challenge but not impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought games for specific parts before.

My old Panzerblitz had miscut German Art. units that were annoying, so I bought a copy to replace them.

I bought a copy of Squad Leader just for the 4th ed rulebook.

I have a spare copy of the original Proud Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I buy wargames at thrift stores, I expect parts to be missing. Usually if I buy the game twice, I'll have one complete game.

Pete (usually gives away the remnants to people seeking parts on BGG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes buy a second new copy just to have unpunched countersheets.

Once, I bought a new copy of "The Legend Begins" because I had lost one counter. The only time I ever lost a counter....so far as I know, anywaydevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kitchens
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do any of you buy older OOP games that might be rather worn(but cheaper) but have all or almost all the pieces simply to use them as back up pieces in case you have lost parts from your original copy?

In short yes.

The more produced a game is with multiple components, and the more I like the game, the more likely it is I will feel the urge to have backup. And with extra pieces you have flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
There are websites like http://www.skybluepink.com that have board game bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an old second hand copy of Civilization that we've used for years. It's serviceable but the boats had been chopped up, presumably so they fitted the spaces better. The cards are pretty worn too. A while ago I saw a mint unused copy of the game going cheap (cards still wrapped even), so I bought it to replace the old game. Guess what: we still use the old copy and the new one remains unpunched as the 'back up'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm attempting to do this for the Decision Games version of Empires of the Middle Ages, but only because the counter mix is not sufficient to play the game comfortably. I'm basically looking to cannibalize one game to have a reasonable counter mix for the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
There are websites like http://www.skybluepink.com that have board game bits.
Don't see any wargame bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I scan all my games to PDF so in the unlikely event I lose something I have a backup I can print off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES. Especially for Empires in Arms and The Civil War, two great games first published in 1983.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.