Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've heard about this game and seen the game but never thought it might be something I would enjoy.

Who would of thought I really like dice chucker's!

So I've been searching around for a copy and low and behold this game is way overpriced! Amazon has a used copy for $130 and new for over $150!

$150!!!!

Is this jacked up or what? Is this game that good and should I even consider that price?

Also, I want to play solo and I'm not sure there is even a decent solo variant or if it's even playable solo! Anyone care to remark on this??

So what do you guys think? Is this the cheapest I'm going to find this game? Plus, there seems to be thousands of expansions! Ok, not thousands but you get the point.

So what should I do?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not buy it from the geek market here? There are several used copies for ~$40.

Also this is not a good game to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Beaumont
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
I have a Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers tile tattoo !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you're in luck! Voyages of Marco Polo is a way better game and not hard to find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windfarms wrote:

I agree. I had AF, but sold it when I got MP. AF takes a long time and has a surprising amount of AP in it. Not good with more people either.

Those Amazon prices are just out of perceived scarcity (though the game was pretty pricey when it first came out a few years ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe normal price for this game is around $60. Unless you are going to die without this game, I don't see why you can't just wait for the next print run to come out.

Game Salute ran into some supply problems with their plastics supplier. That delayed the AF Big Box Kickstarter (predicted to finally fulfill by December), and probably is what's causing a shortage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="windfarms"]you're in luck! Voyages of Marco Polo is a way better game and not hard to find [/q
Thanks, have to check this one out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Why not buy it from the geek market here? There are several used copies for ~$40.

Also this is not a good game to solo.

Thanks for the heads up on the solo issue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windfarms wrote:

So how does this play solo? Any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally still prefer AF over Marco Polo, to each their own! I don't think either is really built for solo play apart from acting as two separate players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
windfarms wrote:

So how does this play solo? Any good?

A couple of plays on the SGOYT aggregator have it. You can click on "SGOYT" link for each entry to take you to the geeklist and read what the people playing thought about it.

http://sgoyt.onesuponagame.com/detail/game/171623/the-voyage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW if you are looking for a great dice chucker for one, you should check out Delve: The Dice Game. It is a free print and play that is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
BTW if you are looking for a great dice chucker for one, you should check out Delve: The Dice Game. It is a free print and play that is quite good.

Thanks
I've been playing Star Trek the dice game and Deep Space D6 and love them. I was hoping to find more solo games like these with any type of theme.

I wish there was a geeklist of just this style of game solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
(...) (though the game was pretty pricey when it first came out a few years ago).

$50 including worldwide shipping was a really good deal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought one at Gen Con for $50 right from Game Salute. Not having been familiar with the game beforehand, I didn't realize it was a pre-release copy with limited availability. I just demo'd it at their booth and liked it.

Now I am crazy trying to find Factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
I just bought one at Gen Con for $50 right from Game Salute. Not having been familiar with the game beforehand, I didn't realize it was a pre-release copy with limited availability. I just demo'd it at their booth and liked it.

What do you mean pre-release? The game's been out for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is rarely on sale, that is almost always full price, and as someone shared above, it usually goes for $60. It is between print runs, there will be more soon.

I got a new copy on Ebay for about $50 new and that was about 3 years ago.

I can't speak for solo play, but I have both expansions, and have played 4-6 players and love it. I have also played 2 players and liked it as well. I have not tried 3 players yet. Alien Frontiers is currently my 6th favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Heh, aren't you the one suggesting you just wait for the next print run to come out? Well, it's already here...at least at Gen Con. If it's not everywhere then that qualifies as a pre-release, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
ayejae wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Heh, aren't you the one suggesting you just wait for the next print run to come out? Well, it's already here...at least at Gen Con. If it's not everywhere then that qualifies as a pre-release, no?

Ah, ok. I got lost on the semantics. I get what you mean now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any buzz on a reprint of Factions??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah jeez sorry man. I recommended this to you when you said you loved dice roll-resource games, but I somehow missed that you were looking for a solo game. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the expansions are overpriced for this game, at least for what you get. I just took a look at the Marco Polo entry, I gotta say it does not look appealing. The theme looks boring and the color scheme of the board is not my cup of tea at all. I like Alien Frontiers and look forward to eventually acquiring the expansions when I come across deals for them. I'm more interested in Belt than Factions, but I intend to get both when it is practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought all 7 Expansion Packs and Outer Belt. Waiting for arrival.

Now trying to find Factions...

Did you see there is a Big Box coming out? Take a look at Game Salute. Slated for Q4 2016 and all the pre-orders are already sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
I just bought all 7 Expansion Packs and Outer Belt. Waiting for arrival.

Now trying to find Factions...

Did you see there is a Big Box coming out? Take a look at Game Salute. Slated for Q4 2016 and all the pre-orders are already sold out.

The KS for the Big Box ended March 2015 and has been delayed. Will be almost 2 years by the time we get the game, so don't count yourself as having missed out on anything good. Everything fits into the base box anyways, as I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right after the KS ended, I reached out to them and said "can I still buy the big box?" They said "sure". I waited a few days, saw the base box on Amazon for slightly less than regular price, and bought it 1 1/2 years ago.
Glad I didn't buy into the KS.

I do like the game, and from my research I think I'd like a few of the expansions, but I don't play it enough to have that at the top of the list. Plus the limited stock/sellers and relatively non-moving price point hasn't really spurred me to a purchase yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I geekmailed you, spud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.