Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right in my understanding that Syracuse has a starting (and unmodifiable) military strength of 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, as does Lilybaeum, Carthage, and Rome (see the symbol on the map next to these locations).

If you try to attack Syracuse with your opening (single action) round and you don't use the Legion, you are guaranteed to lose.

You need 4 swords to beat (assuming a random event doesn't occur during the battle and screw you over). And be sure to pack a colonist card in your hand (not your reserve) when the battle is over, so you can settle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.

When do you get a random event that occurs during battle? Rules state that random events are drawn at end of turn.

Unless, Bad Omens -- then if battle is already over and Bad Omens is drawn, but that battle is over and not current so no affect.

If Bad Omens affects next battle, then you know already what the effect is and can prepare

Need enlightenment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess in about half of my games, Rome has Syracuse conquered by the end of the first turn. However, there are plenty of times where they are in the middle of the battle when it ends. Consider:

For Rome to attack Syracuse, he has to get his ducks lined up in a row:

If going by land, he has to have the Catana card + a cart card.

If going by sea, he needs Messana, Tarantum, or Thurii + (Pisa or Rhegium: the two Roman ship icon cards) and Messana is probably being used to settle Tyndaris or using its sword icon for the battle at Syracuse.

On top of this, you need either the legion or two sword cards.

And that's just to LAUNCH your attack.

While fighting, you also need a colonist card in the hole, to settle it.

So while lining this up, consider that Carthage can churn that opening deck pretty well:

Settling Nuoro uses 2 carts.
Settling Agrigentum is a 3-card move (Clupea or Lilybaeum + ship + colonist).
If you line up the Merchant with a lucky hand of grape cards, you can blow through some cards.

If it takes Rome a bit to line up his attack and Carthage is churning, there is a good chance Carthage will end the turn before Rome can conquer Syracuse. It takes a minimum of 3 actions to amass the 4 swords needed to conquer Syracuse. That is 2 entire Roman rounds. Because victory is checked at the BEGINNING of your round, that means Carthage has two entire rounds to play and if he's churning, you see it is quite possible to end the turn before Rome conquers Syracuse. This is a pretty good move as it denies Rome 3 victory points.

So Rome is in mid battle and you draw the Bad Omens and Rome is the unlucky recipient. He just lost a sword. That means he needs to commit a 5th sword and wait an additional round.

This is not common. It's about a 1 in 60 chance. I've seen it happen to me once.

There is another crazy instance involving the rebellion card, but it never happened to me and the odds of it happening are less than 1 in a 1,000.

So yeah, random events can occur during battles. I've seen it happen on plenty of other non-Syracuse instances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking time to explain this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.