Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that if the interphone was out that defensive gunnery could only hit on a die roll of six. I cannot locate that rule at the moment. The only mentions I can find right now is that there is the negative modifier to the bomb run, and that the tail gunne can no longer make passing shots.

Is there such a rule or am I confused?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
A result of Intercom out points to Instrument Damage Bl.2 Table No. "4". There in not "b" i states that a roll of "6" is needed to hit, except tail which needs a "5-6".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
A result of Intercom out points to Instrument Damage Bl.2 Table No. "4". There in not "b" i states that a roll of "6" is needed to hit, except tail which needs a "5-6".

Thanks. I played that all gunners needed a six, and survived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
A result of Intercom out points to Instrument Damage Bl.2 Table No. "4". There in note "b" it states that a roll of "6" is needed to hit, except tail which needs a "5-6".

I would think the chin turret on a B-17G could also hit on a 5-6 roll. That gunner has more visibility up front than anyone else in a gun position in the plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
jasta6 wrote:
A result of Intercom out points to Instrument Damage Bl.2 Table No. "4". There in note "b" it states that a roll of "6" is needed to hit, except tail which needs a "5-6".

I would think the chin turret on a B-17G could also hit on a 5-6 roll. That gunner has more visibility up front than anyone else in a gun position in the plane.

John, I think this is more of a communication thing than a visibility issue. When the intercom is out then other crewmembers can not warn their crew of approaching fighters. So, with the chin turret already at 5-6 to hit a negative modifier would bring it to a 6 to hit. otherwise it would be no penalty for loss of communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
Infomanohio wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

John, I think this is more of a communication thing than a visibility issue. When the intercom is out then other crew members can not warn their crew of approaching fighters. So, with the chin turret already at 5-6 to hit a negative modifier would bring it to a 6 to hit. Otherwise it would be no penalty for loss of communication.

I'm not entirely convinced that a loss of intercom communications would reduce the effectiveness of the chin guns that much. Most of the difficulty in hitting an enemy plane with the nose guns was the closing speeds of the two aircraft (in excess of 500 mph in most cases), not necessarily the visibility issue as you pointed out. The tail gunner is more successful (usually) because the closing speeds are much slower and he has a better field of fire. Nevertheless, the next time I lose an intercom I will follow the rules as written, even for the chin turret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
jasta6 wrote:
Infomanohio wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

John, I think this is more of a communication thing than a visibility issue. When the intercom is out then other crew members can not warn their crew of approaching fighters. So, with the chin turret already at 5-6 to hit a negative modifier would bring it to a 6 to hit. Otherwise it would be no penalty for loss of communication.

I'm not entirely convinced that a loss of intercom communications would reduce the effectiveness of the chin guns that much. Most of the difficulty in hitting an enemy plane with the nose guns was the closing speeds of the two aircraft (in excess of 500 mph in most cases), not necessarily the visibility issue as you pointed out. The tail gunner is more successful (usually) because the closing speeds are much slower and he has a better field of fire. Nevertheless, the next time I lose an intercom I will follow the rules as written, even for the chin turret.

I agree that the closing speed is the main difference between the chin turret and the tail turret. But the communication aspect has much to do with a gunner acquiring a target in the first place. The pilot and copilot both were eyes for the gunners up front. And the waist gunners could also help spot. If the bombardier was looking to the port side and an enemy plane was sneaking up on starboard side, without someone announcing it he would be late turning his guns in the correct direction.

This is where I believe the loss of one pip to hit comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.