13 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Basic question about card abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jason broersma

Utah
msg tools
Ive searched for this all over but cant find anything. Can i use a cards ability even if im not using the strike/recruit points for that card? For example, If a card has 1 recruit point and an ability, lets just say 'draw a card', can i play that card just to be able to draw a card, even if i cant use that recruit point? Or do i specifically need to use that recruit point(or strike point) to be able to use any ability that card may have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The attack and recruit points just go into a pool to be used during the turn and are largely independent of other abilities on the card. So you are free to play a card for its abilities even if you are not planning on using the attack or recruit points on it. Heck, the resolution of the ability might change the situation enough that you now have something to spend the points on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason broersma

Utah
msg tools
ok sweet thats how weve been playing i just wanted to make sure. Im so used to strict rules and a certain sequence of events with games like magic the gathering that i had to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, Welcome to the Gang!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you choose not to use a cards ability? If you know drawing a card will not help this turn, and want to save it for the next hand, but one of your current cards tells you to draw a card, can you opt out of that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You can opt out of playing a card, but once it's played, you have to commit to its abilities. You can refuse to do things that say "you may," though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so if you use its attack or recruit, you have to use its ability, unless it says "you may". makes sense, thats how Ive always played. nice clarification though...things get tricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Almost. It's not about whether you use the numbers, it's whether it gets played. Some cards have no numbers, after all. You have the idea, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure you can. Also, just to you know, for things like wounds you can activate all the powers you want to, i.e. draw cards, KO, etc, as long as you don't recruit or defeat a foe, you can still KO wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Somewhat off topic....

when you rescue a Bystander, I feel as if youre ALWAYS supposed to rescue from the Bystander Deck, correct? Whether or not villains/mastermind have captured Bystanders DOES NOT matter, and you ALWAYS rescue from the Deck itself (unless otherwise stated)....is this correct, or am I able to rescue captured bystanders from villains using Jean Greys Psychic Search (I believe its called)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Somewhat off topic....

when you rescue a Bystander, I feel as if youre ALWAYS supposed to rescue from the Bystander Deck, correct? Whether or not villains/mastermind have captured Bystanders DOES NOT matter, and you ALWAYS rescue from the Deck itself (unless otherwise stated)....is this correct, or am I able to rescue captured bystanders from villains using Jean Greys Psychic Search (I believe its called)

You are correct. The only time you get a Bystander from a Villain or Mastermind is when you fight those bad guys. Otherwise, all Bystander rescues come from the Bystander Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Correct. Some cards rescue bystanders from the city, but they will specify that (Storm, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Organous wrote:
Correct. Some cards rescue bystanders from the city, but they will specify that (Storm, for example).

Thanks for the reference/example. I was trying to think of one off the top of my head, but couldnt.

Awesome, thanks guys! I always worry that I play incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.