Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

I am going to get this for our gaming group but not sure which one to get. I am leaning toward the expansion because of the module format which I think will greatly help with replayability and difficulty levels.

Also, I was wondering about playing this solo as well. I realize the traitor mechanic is an important part of the game; however, can I just play two characters solo without the traitor mechanic? I am thinking adding the bandits module could help with the solo experience?

Lastly, does the app help with solo play from the Crossroad cards?

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a toss up. I like, and prefer the purity of the original. I am not a big fan of all the new morphed zombie types. The Raxxon module I could do without completely. I like the idea of the bandits and improvements. I like the rule updates and the component quality improvements ie the locations on thick cardboard rather than flimsy paper. But with the price now dropping significantly of the original due to the new release. It may be better to buy the old one during a sale for a nice discount.

As for solo. I created a solo variant here: >>>A Mother's Love<<< I also reference another good solo game in that thread. Both "sort of" require the original since they are built around characters in the original game. But can likely be modified for any character I suppose.

I hope that helps.

Edit:... Honestly the replayability for either is through the roof. You won't have a problem there.

as for the app, I have not used it sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
Hey guys,

I am going to get this for our gaming group but not sure which one to get. I am leaning toward the expansion because of the module format which I think will greatly help with replayability and difficulty levels.

Also, I was wondering about playing this solo as well. I realize the traitor mechanic is an important part of the game; however, can I just play two characters solo without the traitor mechanic? I am thinking adding the bandits module could help with the solo experience?

Lastly, does the app help with solo play from the Crossroad cards?

Thanks everyone.

Initially I would've said yes get TLN, having played it now I'm tempted to suggest the original first as it has more characters and main objectives/personal objectives which in my opinion makes a big difference. It is nice to have the modules though (solution, buy both...). The modules do help with variability but don't change difficulty a huge amount.

You can play solo, you would be playing two hands each starting with two characters and possibly gaining more throughout the game. If you think you can manage that then it will be fine. You (obviously) wouldn't be able to have a betrayer but other than that mechanically the game would work (there is a couple of abilities where you can look at another players hand of cards etc that wouldn't really work but not a big deal). However I personally don't think you should play this solo. The game is really about the interaction between the players, the stories that get told, that possibility that there will be a betrayer... For me this game is all about theme, and playing it solo would just make it a bit dull, I'd feel like I was just running through the motions. But that's my opinion, I'm sure there is others out there who love it solo.

Lastly yes the app would help greatly playing solo as it hides the results of the card effects before you make your choice, so helps not spoil them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still prefer the Original, it has a lot of replay capacity (I've had it for over a year now), and has a lot to it. I tend to look at TLN as being an "advanced" game, with lots of chaos. a real challenge for our group. still need a few more months before we really know if TLN is "better" than the original, so far my group is mixed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.