Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Mooney

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

I am going to get this for our gaming group but not sure which one to get. I am leaning toward the expansion because of the module format which I think will greatly help with replayability and difficulty levels.

Also, I was wondering about playing this solo as well. I realize the traitor mechanic is an important part of the game; however, can I just play two characters solo without the traitor mechanic? I am thinking adding the bandits module could help with the solo experience?

Lastly, does the app help with solo play from the Crossroad cards?

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Get the original, mostly because of the number of characters, and the Broken Token insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dead of Winter original or The Long Night expansions
I think the popular opinion here with be the long night, because things like the unruly survivors, the despair tokens, and the upgrades model are simple enough that I will now always play with them. Even if I am playing with new players.

However, I may be the only person to say this, but I would still recommend the base game first. The main reason is there are simply more survivors in the base game, and I think those are the most important thing for replayability.
Since I have both, I will probably never play without the upgrades, I will play with the bandits half the time, and raxon occasionally, but I still recommend the base game first because variety of colonists is the most important thing for replay value.

Also I do not recommend this for solo play or pure co-op play. While it is still difficult, you lose a lot of what makes this game great. I will not play it personally with less than four players. And solo play you lose the crosswords, which is the best part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CloudBuilder wrote:
Also I do not recommend this for solo play or pure co-op play. While it is still difficult, you lose a lot of what makes this game great. I will not play it personally with less than four players. And solo play you lose the crosswords, which is the best part of the game.

Certainly a better game with more, but I also solo it a from time to time.

You don't lose the Crossroads. All you have to do is mentally plan your turn, check the Crossroad condition, then play out your planned turn until you hit the condition, resolve the condition and continue however you like. It isn't as clunky as it sounds. Works great.

I rather enjoy it solo. That said, there are better solo games out there. I wouldn't buy it only for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
Hey guys,

I am going to get this for our gaming group but not sure which one to get. I am leaning toward the expansion because of the module format which I think will greatly help with replayability and difficulty levels.

Also, I was wondering about playing this solo as well. I realize the traitor mechanic is an important part of the game; however, can I just play two characters solo without the traitor mechanic? I am thinking adding the bandits module could help with the solo experience?

Lastly, does the app help with solo play from the Crossroad cards?

Thanks everyone.

You can solo 2-handed, a group for each hand. Everything works except the traitor mechanic. Generally I play the hardcore side of objectives.

The app doesn't help with solo play any more than it does for multi, but I do like using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
A reason you might want to get the base game: you can get it cheaper used. I know I've been a big disappointed by TLN, and will be selling/trading my base game away now that it's unlikely to get an actual straightforward expansion. I've otherwise exhausted my interest with the base game and it's just sat on the shelf for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a lengthy post in a couple other threads as to my reasoning, but if replayability is what you want, get the original game first. the modules are cool and add an interesting new dynamic, but what really affects your replayability is the survivors you control plus the main objectives. The original DoW has far more main objectives and 10 more characters. I think this will go much further replay wise than the modules.

Of course, I would recommend getting them both, but I highly disgaree with the reviews that say you should get Long Night first. I think those reviewers are too dazzled by the modules and the variety of stuff and forgetting about what really brings the replayability. Especially since they already have the base game anyway and are reviewing mostly from a "what does it add" standpoint more so than " what does it offer compared to the original if you only had one."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
I've made a lengthy post in a couple other threads as to my reasoning, but if replayability is what you want, get the original game first. the modules are cool and add an interesting new dynamic, but what really affects your replayability is the survivors you control plus the main objectives. The original DoW has far more main objectives and 10 more characters. I think this will go much further replay wise than the modules.

Of course, I would recommend getting them both, but I highly disgaree with the reviews that say you should get Long Night first. I think those reviewers are too dazzled by the modules and the variety of stuff and forgetting about what really brings the replayability. Especially since they already have the base game anyway and are reviewing mostly from a "what does it add" standpoint more so than " what does it offer compared to the original if you only had one."

I also think that you will be a lot more likely to be confused and/or frustrated with the modules if you have no groundwork from playing just a standard DoW game. BUT, to combat this, Plaidhat has included tutorial scenarios. I mostly agree with this guy though. It's much harder to strategize when you don't have a firm grasp of the basics, and the modules only make it more difficult from there (regardless of whether your the betrayer or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

I also think that you will be a lot more likely to be confused and/or frustrated with the modules if you have no groundwork from playing just a standard DoW game. BUT, to combat this, Plaidhat has included tutorial scenarios. I mostly agree with this guy though. It's much harder to strategize when you don't have a firm grasp of the basics, and the modules only make it more difficult from there (regardless of whether your the betrayer or not).

For me, I think back to when Dead of Winter first came out and people who played it a lot quickly complained about seeing the same Crossroad cards trigger over and over, seeing the same secret objectives come into play and how great it would be to have an expansion that is just more main/secret objectives, crossroads and characters.

Now think about someone buying TLN as their "first" crossroad game. Yes, they get more THINGS in the box (and they are very cool and fun and interesting things)...but they get less of the basic components that people quickly asked for more of with the original game.

1) Less characters (and if you play 5p, you will already have half in play)

2) Less crossroad cards - the box implies it is only slightly less but roughly 20 of them are module specific so won't be used in any given game. Many of the character cards won't trigger, and I also find many of the TLN crossroads to be more specific and complex which means they will trigger less overall anyway. I can't prove this, since I've had limited plays and quickly mixed sets, but my first couple games had maybe 3 crossroad cards trigger combined.

3) Less main objectives - the box says there are 8 main objective cards but really this is 7 different main objectives due to the 3-part "intro" objectives. And honestly, I can't see anyone playing these more than once because the modules are so cool and fun and interesting you want to jump right in...not bring them in near the very end of a game only. So really, I would argue there is only 5 actual main objectives in TLN that people will really care about. Which, in a way its a shame they didn't include a bit of story for objectives and betrayor wins like they did in DoW. But I can understand too why they didn't bother.

I'm not sure adding in the modules will make up for the fact players will be playing the same 5 main objectives over and over with fewer crossroad cards and seeing maybe half (if not more) of the characters in action each game.

So in my opinion, if people think they are only going to buy EITHER DoW or TLN, I think DoW is easily the better choice because of the rasons listed above. If this is all you buy and you think you will play it a lot, DoW will simply have more variety from game to game.

If you MAY be interested in DoW, MAY buy both, and TLN is simply easier for you to find right now...then for sure, buy TLN. I personally love DoW and think TLN is great as well. But for me what makes it TRULY great and truly shine is what it adds to the overall DoW world and story. Having both sets really opens that world up into a sandbox where you can pretty much create any situation or difficulty/experience you want. And if you already loved DoW, the tons of customizability really makes me love it even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.