Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
The ubiquity of the Pirate Maneuver in any discussion of Poisson d'Avril strategy is such that many have referred to it simply as The Maneuver; however, discussion of counters to the Pirate maneuver are as rare, and as difficult to unearth, as the thirteenth copy of the game itself.

Sifting through obscure references in the labyrinthine sub-clauses of Mornington Crescent, ephemera gleaned from cryptic references in dialects of little-known tongues, and casual, but tantalizingly incomplete, allusions in classical texts*, I painstakingly pieced together a comprehensive guide: "How to Counter the Pirate Maneuver."

After compiling this wealth of information in a battered leatherbound notebook, I pondered where to submit such an article. Having used BGG for part of my research, I believed it only fair to submit my findings to them first. Furthermore, to add a little flair to an otherwise serious discussion, I thought I would put my findings in the form of a Geeklist.

Having compiled all of my hard-earned findings in such a list, I felt a little chilled and decided to warm myself by my wood stove to stave off the drafts of a cold Canadian winter. Noticing that my fire was dying due to a lack of kindling, and comforted by knowledge that anything stored in the electronic medium is completely secure, I tossed in my battered leatherbound notebook to revive my fire.

After warming myself sufficiently, I then went back to my computer, having only to hit the submit button to publish my work for the world to peruse.

What was my surprise when the list was not submitted, and indeed all Geeklists had disappeared! It was February 6: the day my Geeklist and many other inavaluable Geeklists died, never to be recovered.

Or so I thought.

Though not at liberty to discuss the details, suffice it to say that a procedure was disclosed to me that would allow me to paritally recover the contents of the aforesaid Geeklist.

The results were far from perfect, but enlightening in their own way.

Of the five Counters**, information was only recovered for two. Unfortuantely, The Inverted Dragoon, The Woodbutcher Countermand, and The Provost's Proof now exist in nominal form only.

Of the two countermoves for which information was partially recovered, the results are not entirely satisfactory (please note that ellipses have been inserted in place of the gibberish produced by the Procedure):

The Pavillion Thrust: Elegant . . . profound, and nearly invincible . . . . The player must grasp . . . peasants . . . wands . . . in succession. Thrust . . . in pavillion.

Chubb Feint: Chubb . . . Chubb . . . Chubb.

I grant that such a piecemeal recovery is disappointing, but it is my hope that this will be the seed that will germinate in the mind of some younger game research enthusiast.

As for me, I seem to be growing weary of late. I think I'll lay my head down right here on my keyboard and have a nice long sleep.

*Few now dispute Poisson d'Avril having at least been inspired by the Byzantine board game Garum-Garum, which appears to have been based on Basil II's campaign against the Bulgarians. (Dr. J Dorey, while granting that Garum-Garum is without doubt the Ur-Poisson d'Avril, remains steadfast in his insistence that Garum-Garum is based solely on Basil II's winter campaigns).

** I have favoured treating the Chubb Feint, and the Feint Chubb Feint as a countermove with a variation, rather than as two distinct countermoves. Dr. Al W. Ai insists that the use of the Steeplejack, exclusive to the Feint Chubb Feint, clearly demonstrates that they are distinct countermoves; however, given the obvious similarities in all other respects, this view is that of a very small minority.

edit for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so disappointed when I found out that I wasn't actually the first to use the Chubb Feint.

Curse you, serendipity, and curse you, Chubb!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you kidding me? No serious player uses the Feint Chubb Feint anymore. Martin's Counter Chubb Feint does show some promise however. (Tho I find it a little gamey.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.