Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Millennium Blades» Forums » General

Subject: How many cards do you use to start/for the pre-release/in-general? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F E
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to make sure I'm playing things right;

Start of game:
10 Starter deck cards
3 cards off the top of the store deck to each player (not used if playing in a pre-release tournament)

Deckbuilding phase 1/3:
6 cards off the top of the store deck to each player

Deckbuilding phase 2/3:
6 cards off the top of the store deck to each player

End of tournament (1/2):
1 random card from face-up Bronze (1)/Silver (2) Prize Support to each player

Additionally, what are your thoughts regarding pre-release tournaments and using only the starter decks? Is it good enough balance-wise, or should additional cards be used?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
febgg wrote:


Additionally, what are your thoughts regarding pre-release tournaments and using only the starter decks? Is it good enough balance-wise, or should additional cards be used?


Only played the game once, but from what I remember, the pre-release tournament is the teaching game option really. Which means, I wouldn't worry much about it being balanced, as it's supposed to be a teaching game. I'd avoid it if it wasn't a teaching game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Each deckbuilding phase has 12 cards to each player (6 when you reveal the first meta, 6 more when you reveal the second meta).

For the pre-release, only experienced players would know what to do with the 3 random cards. However, experienced players will probably find more value in playing three deckbuilding phases and three real tournaments instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry too much about balance on the pre-release because playing with it is already a bit unbalanced (you kind of need the points of the last tournament for the game to be balanced). It is really just for teaching. However, I am pretty sure you do give out the 3 cards before the pre-release as well. Other than that, your break down is correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the starter decks only have 9 cards. (This doesn't matter much, but I don't want you going crazy wondering how you lost a card from them.

I taught two friends last night, and we ran the pre-release but didn't count it for VPs at all. It's really just a teaching tool; giving people points for it is essentially giving people a random advantage based on which deck they pick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The pre-release is a teaching tool as people said. In order to know what to do in the deck building phase you need to understand the tournament first, thus the pre-release tournament for teaching.

However, I have found a modified pre-release deck building phase to be very helpful in teaching. With people new to the game just jumping into the tournament is bad. No one knows the cards in their deck on the first turn. So they are reading through all of their cards while everyone is watching. So, to give a glimpse of how a deck building phase will go I set a 5 minute timer. During this time they can read over their starter decks.

Then based on the people I am teaching I might switch it up a bit. If I know several people are casual CCG players I will give everyone the 3 cards and say they can use those also. It is unlikely those 3 cards will work well with the starter decks but it could happen. It will give everyone a taste of looking for combos. If I have a couple of people that have played the game before or people that I know once were really into a CCG (like I was into Magic 15 years ago) I will let them have the next 6 cards. Again, this is just for teaching to get people a feel for the game. As long as you get in one tournament and one full deck building phase you can usually accomplish teaching the game.

I wouldn't do the last full deck building stage without asking everyone if they want to continue. At this point there might be people who realize this isn't their type of game. I wouldn't want to have them continue playing it just out of courtesy. I'd rather have them move onto a game they would enjoy.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the starter decks to see what the max points you can get out of them are. Of course this would assume the best possible conditions which in the actual tournament will probably not happen. I wonder how balanced they are. Really, what the starter decks do is show you the different types of strategies the game has.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe you give people 3 bonus cards during the pre-release tournament. This gives everyone (including those who have played before) more options. Otherwise the non-newbies would be extremely bored due to knowing the exact best order to play their starter cards. Not to mention I don't think the starter decks are perfectly balanced without other cards to play off of.

I also recommend giving the new people a free millennium accessory promo. This does a great job of getting them on the same playing field as experienced players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has gone through the starter decks to see what the max points you can get out of them are. Of course this would assume the best possible conditions which in the actual tournament will probably not happen.


Are there any starter deck cards that affect other players at all? I think, among its other boring aspects, the pre-release is entirely solitaire. But I could be forgetting something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
sirpoonga wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has gone through the starter decks to see what the max points you can get out of them are. Of course this would assume the best possible conditions which in the actual tournament will probably not happen.


Are there any starter deck cards that affect other players at all? I think, among its other boring aspects, the pre-release is entirely solitaire. But I could be forgetting something.

One of them does flip other player's cards I believe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
grasa_total wrote:
sirpoonga wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has gone through the starter decks to see what the max points you can get out of them are. Of course this would assume the best possible conditions which in the actual tournament will probably not happen.


Are there any starter deck cards that affect other players at all? I think, among its other boring aspects, the pre-release is entirely solitaire. But I could be forgetting something.

One of them does flip other player's cards I believe.


Yes, the shadow deck not only flips everyone's leftmost card, but has an egg that will allow you to perform the action twice. This is particularly damaging to the water and wind starter decks, which rely on score effects to make most of their points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.